on 3 April 2017
Arrived quickly. Excellent item. My husband is very pleased. A good no fuss detector, very good value for money. Several experts have recommended it, so why spend more?
on 4 November 2013
The item arrived the next day.
Everything was included for him go treasure hunting straight away.
Excellent item and 2 year warranty is reassuring.
I would definitely recommend this detector and the seller.
on 15 November 2016
good all round product
on 21 April 2014
This is our first experience with metal detecting, only had a small 'go' at the moment, planning to take the detector on holiday and comb the beaches, seems to work very well, but can indicate coins when you are actually hovering over used pepsi can but its detecting thats the main thing! Also was delivered sooner than expected always a bonus, heres to uncovering some real treasure :) ideal weight and adjustable height, good piece of equipment overall.
on 13 March 2017
Bought for 10 year old Nephew. Great starter detector, lightweight and simple with Garret expertise. I'm a Minelab man myself but would happily use one of these if needed for it's ease of use.
on 11 March 2017
Fantastic starter, my son is now totally bitten with the bug to find treasure.
on 21 June 2010
I bought this for my girlfriend for her 22nd birthday and she absolutely loves it! First few trys we didnt know what we were doing but got the hang of it now and we've found 3 unidentified coins that are too eroded to know what they are, and a few bits n bobs... but still exciting stuff! Its easy to understand, works perfectly and able to get an exact location of the find making digging to the minimal. Only let down for me was the search radius is about 6/7 inches but then i suppose you get what you pay for, i couldnt afford the garret ace 250 and that one searches deeper. But netherless 6/7 inches is more then enough to get you some awesome finds. I'd reccomend this to anyone! But if you want that little extra push and dont mind spending a bit more get the garret ace 250. But otherwise this piece of kit will deffinatly satisfy you!
11 Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2013
Please bear in mind the following review is from a pure beginner. I literally only have a few weeks exposure to metal detecting.
There may be people out there who have been detecting for years and may have other opinions on this model but this is my 'first time buyer' opinion.

Like many people, I've been thinking of buying a Metal Detector for some time and spent quite a while checking out numerous forums and YouTube videos trying to find the best beginners detector for around £150.

There are various cheaper detectors on the market for under £100 but the reviews I found didn't give me the confidence to buy them.
The majority of the reviews I found on the Garrett Ace 150 were very good so I bit the bullet and ordered it.
It was delivered within a couple of days and is extremely easy to put together. There are basically just a couple of parts you need to attach and then you're ready to go.

Whats in the box ?
1 - The metal detector - obviously ;0)
2 - Headphones - they are the large 'jack' type rather than the standard Headphone size but assume you could use any head phones with an adaptor.
3 - assembly instructions
4 - A couple of books showing how to metal detect for beginners and how to identify all the different coins out there.
5 - An instructional DVD
6 - Coil Cover

I layed various different coins and types of metals on the floor just to get a feel for the settings which are pretty self explanatory and obviously received strong signals and different tones for the various different types.
I live near to the coast so the first test was on sand. I quickly found quite a few pieces of fishing lead in the damp sand/shingles but not much else. When I tried to move more towards the sea and onto the wetter sand I was getting all sorts of blips and beeps pretty much everywhere. I dug several holes but didn't find anything. I started thinking there was something wrong with the detector but now, after doing a little more research, I've found that due to all the different minerals etc in sand, the majority of the 'cheaper' detectors do have problems with this environment.
I do need to point out however that being a typical man, I haven't really read the instructions fully so there may be a way around this but please do not let it prevent you from buying this detector. There is a disk that comes with the detector which I have yet to watch which may show you how to find things in wet sand ? Possibly with the right adjustment to the sensitivity settings you may have more luck ??
However, with little success on the wet beaches, I moved over the drier Sand Dunes and that's where the Garrett Ace 150 excelled. The dunes, without trying the state the obvious are a mixture of sand and soil and I quickly found loads and loads of items. These particular dunes where used as a WWII firing range and I've found over 30 x 303 bullets and shell casings, lots of shrapnel from mortars, various buttons from army uniforms and the best thing so far is the remains of an actual WW1 mortar with the cartridge still in there. So despite my previous comments, the 150 does work very well in some types of sand. Just didn't work on the wet beaches for me.
I was getting accurate depth readings from the Ace 150 which helps estimate how deep to dig.
I did consider buying the more expensive Garrett Ace 250 which was around £50 more but to be honest, the only difference I could see are a few additional metal types settings and a pin pointer.
Now, I have since bought the Garrett Pro Pointer Pinpoint Probe which was quite expensive (£90) in relation to the detector cost but it has saved me lots of time in digging bigger holes than neccessary. So in light of this maybe the built in pin pointer on the Ace 250 would have been a better option ??.....I don't know...?
Anyway, to summarise, I can't fault this detector. If you're thinking of starting this hobby as a pure novice like me, then this is the detector to buy. Simple to put together, easy to set up and the most important thing.......it does actually work and you will find different types of metal !
33 Comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2009
Bought this for my son, we've been on the beach, in fields and woods and we've always found things of interest...gold and silver nope but lots of coins and other bits and bats that we've gone home and searched the internet to see what they were. A good introduction to metal detecting.
on 24 December 2012
Ordered 2 days before xmass for my son and arrived on xmas eve, wasnt expecting any extras but it came with 2 coin books very informative and they threw in some garrett headphones for free to (although dont expect to get the free headphones everyone as im sure they were thrown in for xmas spirit ) :)

Many thanks to detector supplies and merry xmas.