Format: DVD|Change

on 7 May 2014
Having been an admirer of "The League of Gentlemen" in past years I have never watched the series for at least the past 7 years when I gave my DVD collection of the series to a family friend. This was a revelation again of the unique and really 'off the wall' humour which is the dark and extreme world of the League. Nothing really prepares you for the series, it transcends 'normality' (whatever that is) and invites you to participate in the dark, black and perverted world of the resident's of Royston Vasey's existence, ever aware that this portrayal of a village mentality might not be that too far removed from some small community environments. I love it! I regard it by far as the best 'extreme' end of the absurd and bordering on a psychological nightmare that 'spooks' the consciousness and disallows sleep to come peacefully! For those readers whom have never watched the 'Leagues' exploits before, of even those of you whom have watched the series a long time ago, then refresh the data banks and feed yourself on this quality production which goes from strength to strength as the series progresses. I go into my 'local' butcher's now with a new awareness, thinking as I do "what is really in that freezer"?
on 26 April 2017
Originally I bought this just so I could watch season three. Having watched the film and then the two seasons and Christmas special on Sky, I wondered where the third series was. Luckily the boxset was cheap enough to warrant a purchase and I'm extremely pleased with it. Rarely buying new copies, I thought I'd treat myself to one. All discs were present and in perfect condition, the box had no scratches, cuts or marks on it at all and I'm very pleased with the quality of the boxset.

As for the show itself, what can be said? Mark Gatiss (Sherlock, Game of Thrones), Steve Pemberton (Benidorm, Inside No. 9) and Reece Shearsmith (Inside No. 9, Psychoville) are all present and play a variety of roles on the show. It's a sketch show at heart, but manages to link the sketches themselves together in an ingenious way. While seasons one, two and the Christmas special rely heavily on both a laugh track and free structure, season three changes the pacing and style of the show completely. It's much more story driven, but just as fun as the previous two seasons.

Inside of the box set itself, you receive all three seasons and the Christmas special. You don't get the movie or the two pantomime shows the trio performed. However, these items can be bought rather cheap on Amazon or you could try your luck in a charity shop. I couldn't recommend this more, I just wish I'd been of age when the show first came out.
on 15 May 2017
Fascinating but patchy series: some episodes silly, some boring and some brilliant (somewhat the same for "Inside No. 9"). Amazing flexibility and adaptability by the writers/actors in playing so many different parts. Much of the material acquired from real-life overheard conversations and scenarios. Probably a "Marmite" series in the sense that it will either be disliked or liked in toto.
on 26 May 2009
This is a superb collection of a fantastically funny and scary high point of British TV comedy. TLOG is an experimental collection of sketches in the form of character vignettes stringing through the life of a weird north country village called 'Royston Vasey' and the bizarre eccentrics it generates.

My personal favourite is a battle of wills between an unemployed young man called Ross and the spiteful, psychologically damaged 'Jobsearch Leader' Pauline in the first series that anyone trapped in the dismal labyrinth of the employment service will cringe at the authenticity of. The three writer/actors who created it have made someting of genius entirely in its own world - a world dangerous and screamingly (literally in the case of malevolent circus boss 'Papa Lazarou') funny by turns.

All three series and the characteristically dark Christmas Special ('Yule Never Leave') are all here in full. The extras are complete and cover a wide range of both behind the scenes, deleted takes and in-depth talks with the writers and performers on where their twisted visions and characterizations come from. All in all a collection that you won't easily leave - if at all...
on 11 August 2016
I love 'The League Of Gentlemen' so I treated myself to this series, the humour is not for everyone but if you watch the series it's tongue in cheek. A bit strange, so probably not for someone without a warped sense of humour.!!!
on 10 September 2016
I'd never seen this before but my partner has been on at me to watch it for a good few years. I finally cracked and ordered the box set. Brilliant. I'm converted.
on 15 March 2017
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!
on 4 May 2017
Amazing, i've loved this show for years, loads of dark humour and is great to watch with the family! haha, would definitely recommend!
on 17 November 2016
Buy it.
on 20 May 2017
Brilliance at it's best. In all a very superbly written series.