3,534

on 24 November 2006
Everyone giving these phones a 5 star rating is quite right. I really wanted a pair of Sennheiser headphones and thought I'd give the HD201 model a try. For the price, I expected something fairly mediocre. How wrong can you be?

The sound quality is absolutely outstanding. If I'd paid £100 for these, I'd have been happy. I'm no DJ or sound expert, but still cannot believe the clarity and rich sound. I'm not convinced the bass is as deep as some have said and I think it does need a little boost from an amp, but the phones handle it with no distortion. After buying these, I listened to various genres of music (from classical to trance) and wasn't disappointed with any. I then left them connected overnight with a playlist of the different music styles to bed them in. It does make a huge difference to the sound and is worth the effort.

No wonder Sennheiser have such a good reputation! Don't be fooled by the price of these, they look and sound a lot more expensive!!
1313 comments| 670 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2013
I honestly don't know what some people are doing with their headphones to have them break within a few weeks. Nor can I comprehend what they consider "good sound quality". I mean I'm just baffled as to what more you could ask for at this price. I've had them for around 2 years now without any faults and I can easily sit with them on all day without a comfort issues. This is on top of wearing glasses. The band has only now just started to lose its tension, such that they will slip off my head if I'm too vigorous, but they never pinched or hurt my ears, not even when they were brand new.

I've never had any distortion through them, as lower scoring reviews have suggested, even when pushing volume and whatever else to max. Honestly if you don't think you can get decent volume or sound quality from these then you're being far too picky, are very much in the wrong price bracket for your needs or are listening to your music far, far too loud.

Similarly, if they are breaking within a few weeks then you are either seriously mistreating them, they've been damaged in the post or you have received a faulty product. Mine have suffered numerous drops and prangs, and I've run over the cable with my desk chair more than I care to admit. They still perform flawlessly. Unfortunately, that same cable is the only reason it doesn't get 5 stars. Occasionally I've been very thankful that it's so long but when using them while on the PC or to watch TV late at night you have alot of extra cable trailing across the floor. And of course it will get inexplicably tangled in whatever it can (as cables do) unless you tie it up.

I have had nothing but a positive experience with these and would buy another pair in a heartbeat. Again, for the price, these are simply an amazing pair of headphones. The best I have ever owned. They more than deliver for their cost and I can't help but feel the negative reviewers have been too quick to judge or have somewhat unrealistic expectations/standards for sound quality.
on 17 October 2006
These headphones sound great with my ipod and my macbook, and has superb clarity, treble and bass. I recently bought the sony MDR-V300 Headphones and these are way better! The sound is way clearer, compared to the sony's which have way too much bass in my opinion. Also these are much more comfortable than the sony for extended periods of time...Solid purchase!!!
22 comments| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2006
These are probably the best cans in the WORLD for under £20. They are balanced, have great bass response, strong mids and sparkling highs. Although a little on the bright side for some, they do offer superb sound reproduction at this price. They are also sealed, and have a low impedance (32ohm), making them ideal for portable use. (rember to break them in)
Pros:
>Loud (32ohm) and sealed shutting out outside sound and sealing your music in.
>They are VERY light AND comfortable
>Unrivalled sound quality at this price point
>If you are one of the anti-Grado fashion-esque folk then these headphones are stunners, the look COOL and expensive.
Cons:
> The cable doesnt have an uptake and is quite long, so youll need a hairband or elastic band to keep the 3m cable under control.
>For the lazy hermits among you, there is no volume control, though i dont really see this as a disadvantage (they damage sound quality)
>They will make you/your teenager yearn for better sounding phones and when your kid starts begging you for the Senn HD650s dont complain.
:-)
1010 comments| 371 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2016
Now I wouldnt consider myself to be a huge audiophile, but to give you some context, I have two hi fi systems, one worth £200 and the other worth £450, and I have tried a large number of headphones of different brands and prices (Ranging from about £5 to £200). SO, here's my review of the HD201's.

-Comfort

I bought this pair of headphones to use at my office, mainly because my other set of crappy No Fear headphones kind of snapped. I have actually owned these headphones before, but lost them not long after I had them, however I remember this headset being comfortable. You get a bit of padding on the inside of the headband which is thick enough to be comfortable resting on top of my head, and the earpads, although not particularly thick, are sufficiently comfortable too. The headphones sit on my head nicely and they do not crush my skull, but they are not loose either, and feel secure when on. The padding is obviously not going to be on par with more expensive headsets, however I could wear the HD201's for hours without them ever being a nuisance.

-Long Cable

Something of a good and bad thing. I would recommend using these headphones at home, or work, or generally somewhere that you will be still for a long time. The cable length can be too much to deal with, and makes these really fiddly to use on the move. You could use a cable tie to keep the wires tidy. Its can be good to have this cable length if you use them on a hard to reach PC port or musical instrument. The cable is pretty thin, and its roughly about 3 meters in length.

-Inexpensive

The headphones are very comfortable, however the other reason I bought a pair was due to the price.

Considering they look great, have a long cable, sound is good (for the price) and they are not too badly built, you get pretty good value for money.

-Subtle Style

I think the style is also great for this headset. It's not like your skull candys that come in all sorts of colour combinations and styles, but its certainly better than standard plain black headphones. The Sennheiser logo on the headband looks good, the L and R indicators are on the sides above the ear cups. The ear cups fit all the way around each ears (i'd consider my ears to be an average size) and a nice addition is a bobble-mark where the 'L' is so you can feel and know which way to wear them in the dark. They aren't huge, heavy, chunky headphones either, they are just the right size.

-SOUND

The big one. I can't say that the sound these headphones produce is bad, but I have a set of Sony MDR V55's which, granted are a bit more expensive, but pretty much blow this headset completely out of the water when it comes to sound quality.

The sound isn't bad on these headphones, but the treble and mids are simply too flat sounding, so your music lacks punch and energy. The bass is neat but is still nothing to write home about. Another issue for me is that, even on max volume, the headphones are too quiet. They feel underpowered and under detailed, almost as if you're listening to your music with cotton buds in your ears.

Don't get me wrong, the sound from the HD201's will be much better quality than any standard set that come with a phone, mp3 player....etc, and I suppose I could say it's good for the price you're paying.

Wierdly (considering everyone under the sun says Sennheiser are a brilliant company who make the best headphones the world has ever seen) I have actually yet to find a pair of Sennheisers that sound better than a similarly priced set of Sony's. Maybe it's just my taste, I don't know...

Because i'm using these in the office, luckily I don't really need to worry about the sound quality being too loud or of a fantastic quality. In fact I bought the headphones based on the other factors at which they do a decent job.

If you are buying these because you want your music to blow you away, i'd recommend trying a different set.

But for the office they are fantastic as they do not leak sound and they are good at shutting out the noise around you.

So for the office or if you're one of those people who watches TV without trying to disturb someone at night, you can't go wrong for the price.
on 10 August 2007
I run a small recording studio and needed extra/spare headphones in case of any unexpected breakages or unexpeceted extra musicians. I bought these cos they were so cheap and the reviews at headphone.com were so positive. I expected at best just to not hate them, but Im actually astounded by them. For headphones that cost me £10, these are absolutely unbelievable.
Naturally they can't compare to £50+ sets out there, but how close they come is frightening. They're extremely light and comfortable, the mids dont honk like all other cheaper sets, and theres an evenness to the tone that suits a studios needs really well. I had an extremely talented pianist wear them all day in a very long session and he made no comment. He just never guessed that they were imposters in a professional environment.
The only quibble you could make is that they're a little quiet, so they need cranking, but me - I instantly ordered another set.
11 comment| 214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 July 2006
If you needed more positive feedback, then here it is. These are very comfortable to wear - light and adjustable. Sound reproduction is excellent. Listening to many different genres, and at reasonable volumes; bass is well defined, trebles don't sound too bright, and the midrange is superb. Depending on your needs the very long cable is a benefit. The best value for money I have spent on anything for quite some time. I haven't tried more expensive headphones, so I can't make a comparison, but how much better can sound reproduction get per pound? Not much I think.
55 comments| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2015
Received these headphones today and just love them!! (wearing them as I type this review actually!! Pic attached!!). Very comfortable to wear with adjustable headband and very well padded as well. Very long cable and the standard headphone jack size (3.5mm I believe) so they plug into my tablet brilliantly!! I definitely recommend these and they are also excellent value for money!!
review image
on 11 June 2007
Wow! Where to begin with these. I could not believe you could get any Sennheiser gear for this price, so I was not expecting much. I was amazed to find on first inspection good padded headphones that swivel nicely on the headband, with a good long cable and a 3.5 to quarter inch adaptor (gold plated) included. This makes for a comfortable listening experience - which does not always happen to me as I have a big head!

I plugged them into my PC to listen to my mp3 collection and was blown away with the sound. Crisp treble, coupled with a good bass sound that doesn't overwhelm the mid-tones. Listening to acoustic guitar music was a revelation as every subtle string squeak and rattle was brought to life. Equally great with vocals, tunes with heavy bass etc.

I have bought other more expensive 'phones by other well known manufacturers and these beat them hands down! I will be ordering another pair as a "spare" soon.

To top it all they have a 2 year warranty!

Fantastic!
0Comment| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2008
FACT - These headphones are a BARGAIN price. Even if you do buy a set and decide you dont like them, hell, it's only pretty much a tenner....

FACT - These headphones are QUIET. I have to pretty much double the volume of anything I plug them into compared to my other 'phones... BUT... they are selaed, closed back headphones so DO cut out background noise at lower volumes....

FACT - The sound quality is VERY GOOD. If you want to get near audiophile-quality from your personal music player or home stereo then these 'phones will definately do them justice.

FACT - There is NO point buying £150+ true audiophile headphones unless you have a pretty decent 24bit hifi system / headphone amplifier to drive them... if you just have some £150 stereo then these will more than suffice.

FACT - These headphones LACK POUNDING BASS. If you want ear-shaking bass from your tunes perhaps these 'phones arent for you... BUT... some may argue poudning bass would just mask the true quality of the music coming out of these headphones so is better without
22 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse