on 7 January 2008
Well, you don't really get an option to buy anything other than this to mount your Garmin device to a set of oversized handlebars. It's rugged enough but it's a real shame that once the device clicks in it has about 2mm of 'slop' that the GPS can rattle about in: pretty poor design really. OK for road bike, but the rattling might drive you nuts after a while on a rough trail on a mountain bike (you might mitigate this using some silicon sealant or a small piece of rubber).
Very important note: it comes with no 'device clip'; it's just a 'wraparound' for the handlebars, so you'll need to purchase the smaller bike mounting kit which includes this clip UNLESS you have an HCx unit which comes with a clip that screws into the back of the battery case as standard (mine, the Legend HCx, does).
on 28 March 2009
This is the product you need if you are trying to mount a Garmin on a road bike with oversized handlebars. For most Mountain bike handebars and the old style of normal diameter bars, then the normal handlebar mount will be ok.

Once you work this out, this is not a great product. As it is, the unit rattles about in the mount which is annoying. I have resolved this though by putting tape in the mount platform (i.e. the platform that the GPS unit clicks into) and this sorts it out. Not what you expect to have to do!
on 25 May 2009
As with previous reviewers - I have had to modify the mount with strips of insulating tape, to stop it rattling around. I would say it is essential to do this, especially on an off-road bike. The rattling is annoying - but more importantly causes rapid wearing of the plastic clips. I also use a short piece of cord through the loop on tbe back of the eTrex and around the handlebars - just in case the clip fails or hasn't seated properly. I learnt this through experience having once lost an eTrex from the clip - it was just luck that I managed to go back an find it. Also you mustn't forget that the eTrex is on the handlebars if you need to turn the bike upside down for track-side repairs (yes, I've done that as well!). So all things considered - overpriced, poorly engineered, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative and it works ok after modification.
on 14 April 2014
The mount rail brought it to replace my old one as was too small for my handlebar of my bike. Mount it and worked brilliant. The mount adaptor is brand new, boxed, and amazing isn't made in China???!!! Yes, is it made in Thailand and the quality is outstanding. It will stay there for a long, long time to hold my Garmin 60 csx. Yes is only fitting the 60's series so check before you buy!!???
Stay safe, Pablo G
on 9 August 2009
If you have a etrex legend hcx (or vista hcx I believe) then just buy this to mount it to your bike. You will also need the bit for your GPS that should have come with it.

Pros:
- Allows mounting to bike
- Comes with a couple of variable thickness rubber tapes for mounting to different size handlebars

Cons:
- GPS doesn't fit as snugly as it could, and rattles a little (even on roads). I don't find this annoying unless things are particularly bumpy. However I intend to pack it with some tape to get rid of this anyway
- Handlebar mount design is basic - will need to unscrew to take off. I would prefer something quick release
on 21 November 2012
I was forced to by this for my son's racer which has the modern fatter flattened handlebar design.

When in the packet it doesn't looks like it will fit, but I decided to give it go and it fits perfectly with one short piece of the supplied rubber spacers.

The Garmin HCX fits onto the bracket with an adapter which you have to buy with the normal size bracket for some reason. It's claimed the adapter is supplied with the GPS unit but many people including myself have no recollection of this. Anyway, I found that GPScity in the US will supply these to Europe at normal postage rates.

I'm not convinced that this bracket arrangement would be sufficient for mountain biking or where there is a lot of vibration. GPScity sell a cage-type cradle that woudl probably be better. We just wrap the GPS lanyard around the ahndlbars to save it falling off if neccesary.
on 14 August 2012
Bought this for my partner to fix his Garmin eTrex handheld GPS onto his cyle. The mount is very secure and this wider mounting was required due the thickness of his handlebars. You do need the original clip that comes with your Garmin eTrex in order to attach the unit to the Adaptor. The three different thickness rubber strips that came included with the Adaptor were very useful to make sure of a secure fit. Would definately recommend this Adaptor especially if you do have thicker-sized handlebars on your cycle. Once the eTrex is clipped into place it is very secure and the quick release system is excellent when you come to remove the eTrex from your cycle.
on 18 October 2015
Not much to say. If you have a Garmin Etrex GPS, this is the bracket you need on your bicycle handlebar. It comes in to sizes. I bought the bigger size as there is enough rubber gasket to make it fit a smaller handlebar and I use this extra one, to take with me on travels, so I can install my Etrex even on a rented bike.
I've broken any and the bracket sits permanently on my 3 bikes.
on 20 September 2015
Does what it says on the pkt. Holds a Garmin h/held on a 25mm binnacle handrail/bike handlebar. Just don't get thrown hard against it whilst it is doing it's job by a Condor fast cat ferry wake( or a big pothole on a bike?)- thats how the last one got broken!
on 29 October 2011
I am confused by the comments about "slop" and "rattling around". This fits well on my cannondale caadx and my garmin legend clicks straight into it. No slop or rattling. The legend comes with an alternative clip for use with a handlebar mount. Is this what the other reviewers are missing?