on 11 May 2011
I have a Mapex Black Panther. It's a lovely snare drum. But, my lack of experience in the tuning department, has resulted in a nasty sounding over-tone. Sounds like a beer keg!

You need some overtone with a snare, otherwise it sounds weak and lacks any real volume.

I tried damper rings, but they totally killed the overtone and silenced the snare drum.

I heard some excellent reviews about Moongel and one of my Drummer buddies uses them.

I only had to use one pad. (Pack comes with 4). Now the amount of overtone is perfect. The snare sounds lovely :D

I would highly recommend these.
on 17 June 2010
These little gel things are amazing! Take all the ring out of drums, and make drums sound way better. If you're not using them you're missing out!
on 27 September 2010
Very good, it doesn't seem like much at first but you'll be surprised at the overall change in the quality of sound.
on 5 June 2016
Some tips for use: putting one equidistant between the centre and the edge cuts out the 2nd harmonic and is the most effective. Moving closer to the edge lets in more of the 2nd harmonic and starts to dampen the higher ones. But use your ears, experiment, and move them around. Also, cutting them into smaller pieces works well on drums where a whole one makes the drum too dead.

These are definitely the best things you can get though. The reason they work so well is they are higher mass, smaller surface area. Whereas tape, tissue, etc have too much surface area and not enough mass. So essentially the moongel doesn't really affect the sound of the drum at all when placed correctly - it just shortens the note. You don't get the "dryness" in the sound that you get from gaffa tape or tissue. That's why I love these.
on 12 February 2013
Expecting a miracle? No. These are slightly less efficient than the 'folded-up-piece-of-kitchen-roll-in-some-duck-tape' type, but these don't lose their stickiness so quickly! Fitted on the INSIDE of the reso, they are fine and last well, but for the outside of the batter, just buy some proper damping-rings from your fave manufacturer which work much, much better.
on 27 August 2012
It doesn't matter how many times you read that these thins are tiny you'll still be surprised when they arrive! the main concern I had was simply the fact that they're 'sticky' they really aren't. well, they stick to things but without any of the stickiness it's like witchcraft and they make drums sound beautiful, I have one on the bottom of my snare and 2 under my Ride cymbal. they reduce the ringing without making anything sound choked. they're also great for stopping that buzz on your snare when you play other drums at a similar pitch. I honestly can't think of anything that's made such a huge difference to the sound of my kit. would definitely recommend to anyone of any standard with any drum kit.
on 2 April 2014
well, there's not 4 in the pack but 6 - so there's enough to dampen both heads on all 3 toms!! very lovely effects acheived very quickly and easily! VERY sticky....i was worried that they wouldn't seperate - but they did just fine! ...easy to cut into smaller pieces if desired (use scissors!) i have acheived the sound i've been looking for - at last! I took my time in setting them up, ended up sticking them to the inside of each head - out the way and beautifully effective! Highly recommend. 5 stars!
...one happy drummer :D
on 20 January 2014
Always wanted an easier way to dampen my drums without having to use tape and tissues! Also works on cymbals too!! And can double them up for extra dampening , work really well and can be cleaned and re used again and again....
on 30 December 2013
I did not have a clue what this was when i bought it but it was on a friends Christmas Wish list so I got it and the joy that the receipient received the gift was all I needed to know. A very welcome gift which will be well used.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 December 2014
These Moongel pads are naturally adhesive, so stick, detach and re-stick to the edges of your drum heads easily. They also make a huge difference to the drum sound, especially when recording drums.
I use Moongel to dampen my drums and stop the heads from ringing too much, if that is what is required. It's great to have options.
I also use Moongel for gigs of all sizes, the larger venues and the smaller venues. With drum mics and without drum mics.
Experiment where you are positioning the moongel on the drum head and see how the sound changes.