on 8 May 2017
I wanted some scissors without metal blades for my 3-yr-old, so that I could let her cut up shapes without being overly-paranoid about "pointing them at your toes", and all the other safety things. These scissors are made of 100% hard plastic, which means that even when you mash down on them, they are highly unlikely to break the skin.

One of the scissors is straight-edged, and it cuts amazingly well, considering it's plastic. The other has a zigzag edge, which (again) cuts really quite well through paper. They become a bit hard going when used on very stiff card, or cardboard. But for all those Mr. Maker projects with coloured paper, or normal-thickness card, these are the perfect compromise between cutting and safety.
on 29 July 2017
Bought these for my son to help him practice is scissors skill safely. They seem like a great idea on paper : nice rounded tips, robust, bright appealing colour etc... But do they cut properly? Well, the straight bladed pair sort of cut - once in a while, with a great deal of effort from an adult, but in the hands of a 3 year old are impossible to use. The crimping (zig-zag) pair are absolutely hopeless, and kind of mash the paper, rather than cut. All in all a huge disappointment, despite the well known brand (Crayola). On top of that I had my older nephew trying them and the struggle was still there.
on 26 September 2016
My son has been asking for scissors since he has started watching Mister Maker, so this was an obvious purchase for the price as you get 2 scissors. He loves the fact that one is to cut straight lines and the other is zig zag. He finds them really easy to use and these are a great starter set as they are plastic and therefore safe. I can happily let him cut paper without having to worry about him hurting self. He even uses them when playing with his playdoh! These are a great addition to his ever growing craft box.
on 1 September 2017
My 2 yr 3m daughter loves these. It took her a while to get the hang of cutting with her had in the right position but a few days of practice and she's now trying to cut everything in sight! Thankfully they only cut paper so we've not had any accidents. Nice build quality and very confident these will last.
on 12 December 2013
I bought this item for daughter as the nursery told me she loves cutting paper and I was a bit worried about using regular scissors.
I bought them because it said they were safe, although I must have not read the description very well, as I didn't realise they were plastic.
However, when they first arrived I was really impressed to see that they were 100% made of plastic (i.e. completely safe) but still cut as well as normal scissors (only 1 sheet of regular paper). My little one was delighted and on we went cutting magazines and sheets of paper for at least an hour.
However, after an hour of use (and I have to say a fair amount of abuse you can expect from a toddler), I realised that the zigzag scissor was ripping rather than cutting paper. I thought this was due to my daughter's poor technique (not holding the scissors quite perpendicular to the paper) but when I had a go myself I realised that it was because the pin had got loose, creating a big gap between the blades. I thought I could "screw" it tight again but it doesn't seem to work that way, so that pair of scissors is absolutely useless now.
The straight blade cuts better and after 2 weeks, still seem to be sort of cutting but the blade looks very damaged and it doesn't seem like it will hold out for much longer.
Yes, I know this product was cheap, so I feel like I can't really complain. But I was expecting more than 1 use (for one of the scissors) or 2 weeks (for the other pair).
I'm back to looking again and like other users I think I will go back to metal scissors.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 May 2009
I was so impressed with these scissors:

- first they are very well made, no rough edges, study and nice and colourful

- we had no problems cutting through standard plain paper with ease

- extremely safe, no metal, no sharp pieces and they only cut paper. I examined them very well before I let my daughter have them and was pleased to see just how safe they were.

- one pair cuts straight lines and the second zig-zags which my daughter really likes

- amazingly good value

I have to say they're the best toddler scissors I've managed to find. Excellent.
on 19 April 2016
These do what they say on the tin in terms of only cutting paper and not little fingers...
So, I guess this is a good thing ... but they are not that easy for my 2 and a half year old daughter to use as one needs to get them precisely at a 90 degree angle to the paper...
The one with a jagged edge is quite fun and I'm sure will be useful for arts and crafts/edging of things in the future
on 28 February 2012
My daughter was ecstatic when I gave her scissors to use for the first time - she couldn't believe that I was actually letting her hold/play/use scissors.

They cut fine when I use them, but not so much when my daughter does unless you hold the paper taut, so she quickly loses interest. I'm not sure if it's her untrained hand or that fact that she's left handed. Having said that, she will revisit them at least once a week and I feel safe leaving them in her craft box unattended as she can't do any (real) damage with them.

As for durability - they no longer cut that well as they have been "played" with.

Overall, I would give this 3.5 starts, but that's not an option.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 April 2012
What a fantastic product and good value! VERY kiddy friendly. The plain scissors work very well and easily - no idea why people have said they aren't easy to use - they're absolutely fine. Cut paper just like any other pair of scissors, but with the advantages of being totally safe and no sharp edges.

The zig zag pair weren't that good, but hey for the price they were a freebie anyway.

Our 4 year-olds school asked parents and carers to help children with cutting skills as they seemed to be behind with them, so these are perfect for the job.

All the others warn you that the blades can still be sharp. Sharp blades and 4 year olds! No thanks!
on 6 June 2013
Bought these for my young sons to allow them to get the hang of scissors with a reduced risk of cuts. They seem like an excellent idea - nice rounded tips, etc, and are robust. But do they cut? Well, the straight bladed pair sort of cut - once in a while, with a great deal of effort from an adult (me), but in the hands of a 3 year old are impossible to use. The crimping (zig-zag) pair are absolutely hopeless, and kind of mash the paper, rather than cut. All in all a huge disappointment, despite the brand (Crayola).

See one answered question