on 13 December 2016
I find myself back on Amazon, looking for another string winder. This one does the job of winding and string cutting, but it does neither very well. The winder is of poor design, it has a join in the plastic so it never runs smoothly. With the jerky action, you often end up slipping off of a peg enough times that you find it easier to do at least half without the winder.
Likewise the cutter, it cuts strings to a point, but it is so clumsy it is hard to get close to the machine heads to get the kind of desired finish that doesn't have the ends ripping up the insides of every bag you put your guitar in.
on 2 May 2017
I saw this advertised in my local guitar shop whilst buying strings and i thought what a brilliant idea it was to have everything that you need for changing strings in one place. Whist browsing amazon for some springs for my guitar the very crafty people at the amazon advertising team magically made this appear and i just had to have it as it was about 5 pound cheaper that i saw in the shop. And is a wonderful product to have at hand when changing strings.
on 23 June 2017
I have used this to restring an electric,classical,and a child's electric,with no issues at all.
I have yet to restring my steel stringed acoustic,but I will be doing so in the next couple of weeks.
I thought that the string cutter was not going to work very well,but to my surprise,it worked flawlessly.
I also tried the fit of the 'pin puller' on my Ibanez acoustic,and the fit was perfect,although I didn't actually pull the pin out,as this guitar was restrung just before I purchased this tool.
All in all,very happy,as the cutter cuts very cleanly,and the winder winds,on various sized tuning keys without any issues.
on 26 March 2016
The tuning peg winder is too lose fitting on my les paul to continuously wind without falling off and the bridge pin remover is to narrow to get the pins out of my acoustic. Even the wire cutter is slightly annoying to line up every time you want to cut a string. A really bad product.
on 20 June 2014
This is a functional product but there's nothing more to it. It winds, it cuts strings and apparently it pulls bridge pins (I have only used it with an electric). It will wind strings with little fuss, but it does make more noise than other winders I've used in the past. It's a small annoyance only but it's still an annoyance. The cutter is a handy feature and works surprisingly well but really is only useful in a pinch. A wire cutter will do a better job. Also of note is that the product has an overall feeling of cheapness.
on 25 August 2017
My problem is the string winder is stiff.. so it's awkward winding the strings with the string winder it was quicker by hand to wind strings on with. The bridge pin tool works very well.. I normally use pliers to cut off strings,, so I didn't use the string cutter.
on 18 January 2014
This string winder is brilliant, well worth the money. It's the only tool you need when restringing your guitar as it has a cutter and a bridge pin puller built in to it.
The part that grips the tuning pegs is shaped so that is can fit pretty much any shape, it even has slits cut into it so that it fits the large flat pegs you often get on bass guitars.
The cutters are built into the hinge (you can see where if you look at the photo closely) and can cut through the strings smoothly and with ease, although I'm not sure whether a bass guitars' E string would fit between them.
The only thing I didn't use was the bridge pin puller as I find the easiest way to get them out is to use a teaspoon.
on 23 April 2011
Firstly, I'd like to say that I received the item very, very quickly. Within 2 days, I believe, great service from the seller.

I initially purchased this for the string cutter feature - I never liked leaving my headstock with a full head of 'string hair' but I didn't have anything precise enough (or powerful enough) to cut the excess consistently and neatly.

This product solved all that, I can now wind the strings about 2x faster and trim them effortlessly to boot!
on 2 February 2013
It seemed like a good idea as I don't particularly like having to change my guitar stings, with this handy gadget claiming to make life easier. But the winder doesn't fit any of my gutar keys and frankly now the only thing I find it useful for is gutting off the excess and even that I find I can get closer with a small pair of wire cutters. Overall there is nothing wrong with it, but it's just not necessary. Don't waste your money, buy a small pair of wire cutters to trim the excess and use a plastic button to ease out the pins when changing your stings.
on 11 September 2015
Can you cut strings with it? Yes but you can't get in that close when you do. Can you wind pegs with it? Yes but it doesn't fit that brilliantly over the peg. Can you pull the pegs with it? Not at all (at least not on mine). I reckon a pair of tin snips from the pound shop and a much cheaper model of winding tool would be better. For this price tag I believe I made a mistake buying this tool.