I still think my old West German made Zeiss 7 x 42B Dialyt binoculars are unbeatable for birdwatching! Some others come close and, to my surprise, I have added the Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI's to this small, select band. This surprise is brought about because they cost a small fraction of the price I paid for my Zeiss some 30 years ago. Being porro prism, they have a solid, chunky appearance and will certainly not fit into a trouser of shirt pocket. They not only look good, however, but, through good design, fit into the hand easily and, due to the rubberised finish, feel great too. The finish also offers excellent grip and extra protection against the elements and any accidental fall. There is a diopter adjustment control on the right eyepiece and, once this is tweaked to match your personal eyesight, you can begin to enjoy the crisp, sharp images provided by the brilliant Olympus optics. The wide angled lens offer an impressive field of view and the smooth, fast turning central focus wheel work well together to let the binoculars excel at birdwatching. They do extremely well for a huge range of other tasks too! As they weigh just over a pound and a half, and are well balanced, they can be used for extended periods without causing fatigue. There is not much I don't like about this pair. For my comfort, during extended use, I have fitted an Op/Tech strap as the one supplied is rather basic and gets uncomfortable after a while. The supplied case is well made and ideal for storage, but would not like to rely on it for secure carriage in the field. For this I use a small Manfrotto camera bag which can be made totally waterproof. If you are looking to buy your first pair of binoculars, I would strongly advise you to check these ones out. They could prove to be the only ones you will ever need! They have been on the scene for the past decade, have been well tried and tested, and come with a 25 year warranty. I might not have bought my Zeiss if these had been available at the time. Are they good value for money? No! They are outrageously good value!
on 13 February 2013
I did not read any reviews before I went out shopping for a new pair of Binos. I wanted to make up my own mind.

I visited 6 different shops and tested about 10 different makes. From the cheapest to Leica and Zeiss. I was prepared to pay anything as long as the quality and the image produced could justify it.

The most disappointing was the Bushnells. I tried 4 diffent pairs in the fist shop and the first two produced double vision. the other two could not focus properly. It was the cheapest part of their range but after 4 tries I lost confidence in their quality and wrote them off on the spot.
I tried a few other makes in the same price range but was not impressed. In another shop I tried the Nikon range and they were realy good, and at about 140 GBP a reasonable buy.

Comparing Nikon to Leica and Zeiss there were some difference in quality but only marginally. The sharpness was more or less the same but the periphery of the viewing field of the expensive German makes had some advantages.

The last of the 6 shops I visited had the Olympus 8x40 DPSI and I tested one on mid and long distances. The image quality was more or less the same as the Nikon ones. Image distortion at the fringe of the viewing field was may be slightly better on the Nikon but only by a very small margin. The Olympus cost 90 GBP compared to the Nikon at 140GBP.
I decided to think about it and did not buy anything until i returned home and found the Olympus at the Amazon site at just over 40GBP and then decided to take the plunge.

I have now had them for several days and had a chance to test them properly.
Pros:
1. The images produced are very sharp
2. The viewing field is over 8 degrees and makes it easy to find moving objects.
3. The focusing is very easy, from about 80 meters to 5 km ++ you hardly need to move the focus dial more than a few mm and it is very smooth. In fact the debth of focusing is very high - that is why some comments that it is 3d - that just means that the focus in front of the object and behind it is also in focus.
4 The distortion in the periphery is minimal and with the large wide viewing angle it has no practical downside.
5. It is very well build and sits comfortably in your hand.

NEUTRAL:

The light sensitivity is more and less the same a the naked eye. I have had a 7x50 bino and there you see more than the naked eye at night when the moon is out. The Olympus binos reproduce no advantage over the naked eye or may be just a few % more. It is therefore not recommended for night use.

Cons:
1. It does not fit in you pocket. It is a mid seized Bino but then again not too heavy.
2. It is not waterproof, so if you live in a damp and humid climate consider a Nikon (well only if you consider using it in pissing down rain or for nautical purposes - I do personally not- but for longer hiking trips it is an issue in the UK)
3. The neck strap is by some considered too thin - I actually do not mind because the weight is just over 700 g but I see the point.

Conclusion. This is by far the best buy I have tested. Super sharp, relatively light, great viewing field. Ideal for general purposes, bird watching, horse racing and the like, . In fact it is a steal at that price. Thanks to Amazon for delivering it as promptly as stated on their web site.
22 comments| 381 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2011
I have been birdwatching for more than 40 years and my well used 25 year old Swift Audubon 8x42 binos finally gave up when the focus ring became detached. I regarded these as perfect binos as they were sharp and clear at all times despite having almost daily, certainly weekly, use over that time. I did a lot of research on ebay and amazon and intially thought I would go for a used pair of Swifts on ebay, but each one went for over £100 for a used pair. After reading the reports on the Olympus 8x40 dpsi binoculars I decided £38 for a pair to be couriered to my home in spain was a risk worth taking. I`m pleased I made that decision. They are as crisp and clear as my old Swifts, rugged yet lighter. I have replaced the neckstrap provided with a wider one for comfort. The binos come with a soft but useful bag.If you are similarly researching which binos to go for, don`t reject these because of the low price. I thoroughly recommend these Olympus 8x40`s.
44 comments| 443 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2013
I'd put these binoculars up there with the Zeiss and leica's I've tried. They are a twentieth of the price and offer indistinguishable quality in real world situations. Really don't know how they do it for the price.
Olympus have a great optical tradition and it's reflected in these binoculars. Value for money just doesn't get any better. We're talking about pocket money prices for world class optics.
0Comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2012
I received a pair of Olympus 8x40 DPSI bins just 2 days ago. They feel solid and well built. Weight's not a problem. In bright conditions the sharpness, brightness and clarity of image is amazing, and still excellent in low light. Field of view is very good. Chromatic aberration is none existent. There wasn't even a hint of colour fringing on a Mute Swan in poor light. I have owned Leica 10x42's in the past, and I'm sure these are just as sharp, definitely brighter, and with the plus of the porro 3D effect.
Now that is my view without glasses. They aren't as easy to use with glasses (just put them in your pocket).
I don't know how much of a problem fogging will be in colder weather, and as they aren't waterproof I won't use them in the rain.
They do need a better strap, but for the price these bins are an absolute steal. Outstanding.
on 28 March 2011
I have a collection of binoculars amassed over the years and kept in three separate locations including the car. These range from 7X to 10-22X zoom including Nikon, Hilkinson, Canon, Tasco, Bushnell etc. While, hitherto, the 8X42 Wide Angle Bushnell had been my favourite for general travel purposes that changed instantly on receipt of these Olympus 8X40 binoculars which I regard as outstanding and with crystal clear optics. Am I alone in thinking that the quality of optics has improved greatly over the past thirty years?

In my view these binoculars would still be a bargain at ten times the price. Do not hesitate to buy!
0Comment| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2011
The binoculars were a gift for my husband. He was thrilled with them! They are compact yet powerful enough for bird spotting in our garden and nearby area.
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2015
Bought these a year and two days ago and they still look like new.

I’ve owned many binoculars over the years and tried out dozens of others and these are still my favourite.

They have a wide field of view, about 1/3 wider than a 35mm lens at the same magnification.

They also have excellent eye relief. With some binoculars you need to have your eye exactly the right distance from the lens to focus and if you move your head, even slightly, then focus is lost. These are as good as my spotting scope, and that cost over ten times more.

The view through the binoculars is a bit unusual, some call it pseudo 3d. It’s a bit like a popup book. You’ll either love it or hate it. I mainly use them for birdwatching and find it makes bird identification much easier.

I use cameras as well but find them tiring compared to binoculars when observing birds.

The only reason I don’t bring the binoculars on every trip is because bridge cameras are getting so good (and having an id photo of a bird is much better than a sketch and a couple of scribbled colour notes).
on 30 October 2012
We live on a cliff top and wanted some binoculars for looking at the ships going by or seabirds. We even get the occasional seal or dolphin in the Summer. These binoculars were a reasonable price, I didn't want anything too expensive but wanted something half-decent that would let us see what we wanted to see without spending £300. These are good quality, they feel solid but are not too heavy to hold, they come with a nice padded case and I like the focus on them, it's crisp and clear. After reading all the reviews, I felt these were a good choice for us and fortunately, I made the right choice. Highly recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 January 2016
The tech specs after 8x40 don't mean a great deal to me! I know that 8 represents the magnification and 40 is the diameter of the lens. I have 10x50 Nikon binoculars, mainly for looking at the stars. They're excellent for that purpose and very good for general use, but they're also a little large and heavy to lug around. I was looking for a decent pair of day to day use binoculars and these hit the spot.

They arrive boxed, with an instruction leaflet and padded carry case, with strap. There's a separate strap to attach to the binoculars along with eye and lens caps. They're nicely balanced. They felt comfortable and the central wheel is large, responsive and easy to use. Very smooth.

The view is the main thing though and these are superb. Really superb. Wide angled, the images are clean, crisp and clear. No distortion anywhere. Everything was bright and sharp and I was amazed at the clarity of colour and markings when following a small bird into a hedge a couple of fields away. I was able to pick him out easily to identify. The lenses have a UV coating to protect the eyes from the harmful effect of the sun. I haven't been able to test that yet! I took them to the shoreline this morning and was delighted with the definition of some cliffs nearby. It's an area where birds will be nesting soon and these bins will allow clear sight of them tucked into the rocks. They've added a whole new world to that area of the beach for me!

I have different distance vision in each eye. I don't how, but that difference is totally ironed out when using these. It's incredible. I'm thrilled with their capability and believe they'll last for years. The slightly rubberised coating makes them warm and comfortable to use in colder weather. They're an amazing price with stunning performance. Highly recommended.