on 17 March 2007
I have owned a pair of these headphones for almost a year now, and the sound they produce is quite simply divine. The first time I put them on, I felt the pads did press quite hard on my head, considering what I was expecting from reviews. After a little tweaking of the headband, I found them to be more comfortable and once I had been wearing the phones for a couple of days the pads softened. The result was the most comfortable fit I have ever experienced in a pair, and believe me I have worn many a pair of headphones..

I think after stumbling upon the review below, I felt compelled to leave my feedback as I thought the reviewer seemed truly misguided. The sound these headphones produce, while not completely geared towards a completely flat response (as this was the idea of the 600s) is very truthful. You will find that if you have not been subjected to 'proper' sound, for example in a studio environment, you may think that they sound perhaps different to what you would expect. The average person's opinion is perhaps generally that one wants lots of deep bass and high treble to create an 'impressive' sound. While this may impress, at the end of the day one has to fiddle with equalization controls to adjust the sound for different records, as not all of them will sound good. The reason for this would be that the sound the equipment (speakers or headphones) is producing is not a balanced sound. One will probably, for example find that some records appear 'harsh' on the ears when up loud on a lesser system, and this would be the fault of the listening equipment. There are many other factors that would make this review too long, but the general idea is that if you want to hear exactly what the producer created in the studio, then you want something that matches the 'standard' of sound as closely as possible.

I have been producing, recording, editing and listening to music for many years and these headphones represent what I would consider to be some of the best in headphone sound quality. I actually think that I will never want another pair to replace them.

Decent sound comes at a price, as the materials chosen have to be picked and put together extremely accurately so as to perform exactly as required. Creating accurate headphones is an art, and Sennheiser's many years of experience has clearly lead to their producing headphones of such a high quality. To think that a company with such experience in building accurate devices such as these would place a piece of material in their headphones that degraded their sound is completely ridiculous. Do you really think that a company that invests so much money in developing accurate drivers would sully their reputation and bring down the quality of their high end products by not considering such a thing? I think not. The headphones were designed to be used as they are presented, no changing of cables and ripping out of integral parts will make them more accurate, in any case it will probably do the reverse.

On a brand note, I did have the opportunity to experience Some high-end Sony DJ headphones, which did sound quite good until I compared them to the 650s. The immediate thing I noticed as the harshness of the Sony sound. Playing 'Hunter' by Bjork, I found that the vocals became ear piercing on the Sonys, yet remained silky smooth and accurate on the 650s. All the separate sounds in the track remained clear and were never drowned out, a problem I discovered with the Sony earphones.

(if looking for high quality headphones I highly recommend this track for judging the quality of the midrange, (something often overlooked) as the vocals really push the equipment you are listening to to it's limits and at high levels will really sound painful on anything of a lower quality)

The bottom line is, if you are looking for headphones that will impress the un-trained ear, then go for some of a lower calibre. Perhaps consider some sub-£100 Sennheisers, as these are of a pretty high standard and probably will sound better than most of the other 'high-street' brands. If you are, however looking for a pair of headphones that will give you the true sound of your records and will probably make you hate every other piece of sound equipment you have ever listened to, then buy these. The quality is superb for all genres, and until you have sat down and watched a big budget film with an orchestral soundtrack on these cans, you do not know what you are missing.

** You do not need ridiculous hardware to appreciate these headphones. Integrated circuits today are of such a high quality that even cheap amplifiers (as long as they have the EQ turned off) will produce a decent sound. The only thing one has to worry about is how powerful the amp is. I found that my friend's iPod for example did not really have enough 'kick' to turn these up loud. Not all portable devices have the same output power and I am sure to some 'audiophile' reader's disgust I should point out that I had the opportunity to try the 650's on a sub £10 CD player, and they sounded just as good as they did when plugged into my hi-fi. A lot of this expensive CD player business is just a great big con!
1818 comments| 218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2007
Contrary to a couple of other reviewers who have stated that these will not sound good without a quality headphone amplifier - balderdash! I own a quality headphone amplifier, and whilst this doubtlessly improves things (as one would expect) the HD650s still sound excellent when plugged directly into my CD player or even my Hi-MD walkman, no problems driving them at all. And the supplied literature backs this up, stating that they can be 'directly connected to stationary hi-fi components of the highest quality' - well, admittedly, whilst mine are good they are not the HIGHEST quality, but nevertheless, these phones have no trouble delivering. But, yes, a dedicated headphone amp does take things to the top level.

And the sound - it is close to perfect. The bass is completely realistic and well extended, rather than overblown or muddy as is the case with many cheaper phones. The high frequencies are naturally airey and clear, making for relaxed listening without the need to push the levels too hard (unless you really want to of course).

The mid range is sounding very clear and undistorted. These cans have only been out of the box for an hour, and they have a recommended run-in time of at least one or two days constant useage, so I only expect this already wonderful sound to improve further still.

Comfort is not a major issue. The earcushion on each of the cans fits very nicely around each ear with room to spare (for my 35-year-old ears anyway). The pressure is, however, just a tad too tight on the sides of the skull (but I can cope - and maybe they are expected to loosen with age). The literature also states that the pads should be replaced periodically for hygenic reasons, but I can't work out how these are detached since they appear to be stuck very securely in place. I've already tried pulling as hard as I dare without the risk of ripping them. So I don't get it.

Anyway, the earcushions (in theory), along with the 3 meter cable (which does detach easily enough from each of the cans) are replaceable, to extend the life of the product.

And it all comes in a hard box with a hinged lid.
55 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2010
There has been a lot of talk in the reviews about the use of headphone amps in realation to the quality of these headphones. Without wishing to veer off on to a completely separate discussion, I just wish to make the following point:

These are a quality pair of hi-fi headphones. If you do not use a headphone amp, they will still sound great. If you do use one (e.g. Grahma Slee Solo), they will sound even better.

If you are looking for headphones to use with an iPod or similar device, do not buy these. They are hi-fi headphones (i.e. not designed to be portable or driven by low output equipment). Your money would be far better spent on a pair of B&W P5s or Klipsch Image X10s which will give you far better results from that kind of source.

Do not jusge these headphones (or any headphones, for that matter) straight out of the box. They sound muffled, veiled and distant, like they are full of cotton wool. Give them 50-60 hours to burn in and they turn into a completely different beast.

Gone is the distance and the veil. Music sounds a lot more immediate and focused. The soundstaging is excellent, giving the impression of space. The music is presented as if it were coming from speakers either side of you (which it effectively is) rather than being piped directly into your ear.

The level of detail and clarity at this price is stunning. Mid-range and vocals are stark without being harsh. Bass feels tight and responsive. They do what all good audio equipment aspires to do - present the music as it is intended by the source. There is no colouration, no quickening, no 'enhancing', just clarity.

I have heard detail on records and CDs that I have never heard before. I suddenly want to dig out everything from my music collection and listen to it all at once and fall in love with it all over again. I feel like I am discovering my favourite bands and artists for the first time.

In my eyes, that is the highest recommendation of all.

NB. This review is my opinion of these headphones. Your ears are different to mine. Just because these are a great pair of headphones to many, does not mean they will be to all. Some people just do not get on with Sennheisers, others may have systems that do not match (I have heard that these do not match well with a valve orientated set-up). All headphones have their own characteristics - it is important to find what works best for you.

Other headphones in a similar price bracket include Grado 325is and AKG 702s, both of which are excellent and well worthy of an audition.
11 comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2016
I have been using these for a few days now and I have to say they exceeded my expectations. I have been using the HD 598s almost daily for three years now. The reason I got these is because I was dissatisfied with the low end on the 598s.

Just some background; I have owned the 280 pro, HD 518, HD 598, and now made the jump to the HD 650. I will be comparing these mostly with the 598s and the 518s.

As far as comfort goes they compress the head a bit more than the 598s and the 518s, but they are not uncomfortable. The only noticeable discomfort would be below the ear where the bottom of the can presses against my jawbone. After a few hours this starts to annoy me, but simply moving them around provides relief so this is nothing. I would definitely say the 598s are more comfortable for extended periods, but the 650s feel more solid on the head. I haven't experienced any major warm spots even after long periods of use. The cans do keep my ears warmer than the 598s, but nowhere near as bad as the 518s used to. My main complaint about the 518s was how hot they would make my head due to the lower quality material and padding used. The 650s are nowhere near the 518s in this regard. Also, the headband on the 650s is narrower than both the 598 and 518. I found this to be a very noticeable difference since the compression is higher and have had to adjust it often. It just feels weird, but this is something I'll get used to with time since I've been using the 598s for so long.

The build quality is extremely solid, but the plastic feels cheaper than I would like. It doesn't make me feel uneasy about breaking though. This is mostly the outside of the cans and top of the headband. The outside grills are metal and the cushions are high quality. The included cord is nicer than what comes with both the 598 and 518, but is special since the 650 uses one input per can. The included 1/4 to 3.5 adapter is way better in my opinion since it has cord length. The included adopters with the 528s and 598s were a single adapter piece which looked like a freakishly long Frankenstein plug when used with a portable device. This adapter keeps the cable end at the typical 3.5 size so it looks normal and doesn't cause unneeded stress on the contact or the output jacks. The old adapter actually caused me to break a couple laptop outputs while being careless. I wish this adapter was included with all the other models.

I'm no experienced audiophile so I'm probably going to sound like a child explaining the sound. These have been described in other reviews as being "dark" sounding. I'm not sure what that means, but after using them I think I kind of get it. My 598s were very bright and almost airy sounding. The treble was very distinct, the soundstage was amazing, but the bass was very low key and had little impact which is good in some cases. The 650s definitely have more bass impact and I can concur that it is "punchy". I can enjoy electronic and hard rock on these much better. While the bass is heavier on these it is still crisp and accurate, not boomy or overpowering. The treble is still very present, but does seem a bit rolled off to me. The sound is not what I would call bright at all, and the soundstage is definitely smaller than the 598s. The overall sound seems more focused and impactful in comparison. I am amazed at how much more detail I was able to pick out in some of my favourite songs which I thought was impossible at this point. These really surprised me at how clear the entire range was. Now for web videos or Skype calls these were not as enjoyable to me. These made me well aware that I was not listening to high quality sources and since the sound is more focused and narrow when compared to the 598s voice calls can actually annoy me. This was something the 598s do extremely well, but this wasn't the reason I purchased these.

I guess it should be mentioned that the sound leakage on these is much higher even when compared with the 598s and 518s.

These headphones are hard to drive. It's been said everywhere and should be expected given these are 300ohm cans. I haven't had much experience with high resistance headphones so this is venturing into new territory for me. I had a small fiio amp with my 598s which increased the quality, but wasn't really needed for my main application so I got rid of it. I can DEFINITELY see where I would want that back now. Forget about using these with something like an iPhone. At max volume these were so quiet I couldn't enjoy them at all. On my 15" MacBook running boot camp I was only able to achieve a moderate volume with a few software tweaks that I would never use daily and hindered the overall sound. Now, my MacBook running OSX was actually able to push these fairly well. This is the only way I have to actually enjoy them right now. The sound is great and depending on the track, the volume could go above my comfort level with OSX. I will be purchasing a dac/amp combo for my system very soon and I feel like this will really open these up and sound even better. I should have factored this into my price, but luckily I have my Mac that can push these decently until I save up more.

The price on these is very reasonable. I'm a little mad because I payed the same for these as I did for my 598s at the time. Also, I think this is the only time ive seen UK Amazon have a better price than the US on these. I was able to save about 100 usd on these even with the VAT and shipping.

Overview: I really like my decision to "upgrade" to these. I quoted upgrade because it really can't be said that these are better than my 598s. Each has a noticeably different personality and I'd say it all depends on the application. The 598s excel in acoustic listening, voice calls, and movies due to its wide soundstage and crystal clear upper range. I wanted to move from the 598s because my heavier bass heavy music was lacklustre and the highs would get fatiguing to me when listening to the majority of my music (rock). The 650s definitely excel in the music department with a more focused sound and deep, quick, bass with some punch without sacrificing quality of the rest. They do not do well with lower quality sources or voices using Skype. I am very satisfied with these though since I bought them to relieve the bass situation I was having with some of my favourite music.
review image review image review image
on 18 March 2007
I do not intend to get technical, but will simply focus on my experience of using these headphones over the past year. I will identify the key weaknesses and assets of these headphones.

The Weaknesses:

1) - At nearly £200 they are considerably more expensive than the average headphones.

2) - Your speakers will probably sound awful when you take your HD650s off.

3) - They are a bit uncomfy (see asset 4).

The Assets:

1) - They come a in fab presentation box which is a good (though unrequired) bonus.

2) - They allow you to hear the most subtle detail - for better or worse.

3) - They sound great with music, TV and film (especially modern programmes and films) and playing games on the PC. For example, Stargate SG1 is amazing - you feel like you are there.

4) - The more you listen to them the comfier they get. I can use them for hours and not really notice that they are there i.e. they become comfortable in time.

5)- They are upgradable via specialised cable such as Cardas.

If you are thinking about buying these, but are not sure, consider the following.

1) - Spending money on these does not mean that you will have no money to buy more cds, currys, clothes or whatever. All the other things you want to buy will be there next month and the month after that and so on.

2) - Your next wage is probably only 4 weeks away at the most. If you've never starved in the past, you probably won't starve if you buy these.

3) - If you buy these you can rest assured that you will not have to buy a new version 6 months from now. As headphones have been around much longer than new technologies such as the mobile phone and mp3 player, headphone technology has already matured past the initial design and redesign stage. Headphone technology is pretty stable and established. Therefore, these headphones can reliably be claimed to be more or less at the pinnacle of headphone technology.

4) - If you buy a punto, you get a punto. If you buy a Daimler, you get a Daimler.

5) - Go and buy them!
on 27 October 2006
I got these headphone to fit in to an all-Naim system. Naim have a reputation for delivering on pace, rhythm and timing, and after reading a great review in What HiFi, I thought these would deliver. My old headphones were a pair of Beyer DT990's which were comfortable and easy on the ear, in both physical and musical terms. They could be listened to all day with no fatigue. They were blown out one day whilst connected to the computer, so I decided to have a change, in spite of the fact that they are still made.
I am fairly useless at judging the sound of stuff in HiFi shops, no matter how helpful they are... and the pressure of making my mind up in those enviroments has often lead to poor decisions.
I am pretty pleased with them so far. I am using them with a (non-naim) Musical fidelity X-can3 headphone amp and the sound is crisp, clean, fast, revealing and well-defined, with huge dynamic range. Bass is articulate and well extended. In my system, although the sound could never be accused of being harsh, there is a slight tendency for them to be fatiguing at higher volumes... so in a hard sounding system it might be worth considering something like the Beyers. If the system is balanced, or tends towards warmth, they would probably excel.
The quality of construction is first rate, and the speakers fit completely over the ear, the vellum pads being very comfortable. The headband is a little tight on me, causing the phones the feel as if they are clamped to my head, which, although they are not uncomfortable, it's a bit of a relief when removed after a session. The open backs allow outside noise in easily, so it is a little easier to hear the phone or doorbell.
All in all, they are a good buy and sound great in a well balanced system.
on 21 January 2009
I am a long-time headphone user and recently decided to upgrade my ageing Sennheiser HD600s. First I went fot the highly regarded AKG K701s and although they were very good after several weeks I found they were simply too uncomfortable to wear for long periods. I then tried Grado SR-225s, which were very disappointing indeed. In particular they felt cheap and nasty - certainly not up to Beyer or Sennheiser in terms of build quality - and the sound seemed merely average.

Then I bought the Sennheiser HD650s and...Nirvana. Build quality is excellent (the cable is much sturdier than that on the HD600s) and comfort is streets ahead of the AKGs (though they fit more snugly than the HD600s). But it was the natural sound that bowled me over, not to mention the extended bass and sweet treble. I listen to classical music and believe me these cans are the business. For the first time in a long time I can't wait to get home, pop in a disc, slip on the Sennheisers and just enjoy the music.

Are they a worthwhile upgrade from the HD600s? I'd say so, especially if you have good-quality kit. They are leaner sounding but more natural and extended. And the detail and nuance you can hear is just astonishing.

It's been a long journey via Beyer, Grado and AKG but I've finally found some cans that really sing. Unreservedly recommended.
on 5 October 2013
As a former Beats Pro owner ( Yes I know... it was an impulse buy ) I was used to listening to my music with the base turned way up. I decided to go for something more high-brow as a replacement and after reading several reviews, I decided to go for the HD650.
The headphones arrived in a beautiful box ( as you would expect for the price ) and although they feel slightly plasticky, the robust build is something I can't argue with. They feel like they'll last me a lot longer than my now defunct Beats.
As far as sound goes, these are not the type of headphones you are going to run from your iPod or phone. I am using a Fiio E7 portable amp ( will shell out for a more powerful one eventually ) and listen to mainly FLAC files and Spotify. At first I was slightly disappointed by the sound, having listened to the Beats for the past two years.
The HD650 sounded flat, muffled and not very powerful. I've been braking them in for three days now, and I am simply astonished by the improvement. They sound so damn crisp and warm - they just make me appreciate music on a whole new level. The Beats had bass I could feel, but the HD650s have lows that are not intrusive and let everything else about the music shine, especially the vocals and high notes. It's a pleasure listening to them, and honestly, I have re-discovered my music library. I can now just sit and listen to a song with my eyes closed and appreciate every single little note that goes into it.
My old Beats Pros were more powerful, louder and had a lot more bass, but that delicacy in the music that I have found with the HD650 is lacking, and I'd have that over the bass any day of the year. Honestly, best 330 quid I ever spent. I am loving my new-found music enjoyment and I am looking forward to upgrading my amps and music collection.
My only complaint is the hyper long cable ( not bad in its own right ) but I wish Sennheiser supplied a second shorter cable as this one gets tangled in my legs quite a lot.
Apart from the, the HD650 are just brilliant. I feel like such a knob end for having used the Pros for so long. I love music <3 :)
on 20 January 2016
Sennheiser electronic GmbH & Co. KG (branded Sennheiser) is a private German audio that was founded in 1945. In the last 07 decades, Sennheiser has become synonymous with high-quality products in all areas of recording, transmitting and reproducing sound. Sennheiser is also known for making some of the world’s most expensive planar magnetic headphonesthe He1060 priced at USD 55K.

For those with more modest budget and tastes, Sennheiser has a wide selection of dynamic headphones in their catalog. The Sennheiser HD650 was launched in 2003, supposedly as an evolution to the 02 decades old award-winning HD6o0. The HD650 was their flagship dynamic headphones until HD800 was released in 2010. The HD650 has a list price of USD 600 but they can be found for discounted prices that could go south of USD 300.

Features

• Open, circumaural dynamic stereo headphones.
• Systems with narrow tolerances (± 1 dB), hand-picked in pairs.
• Highly optimised magnet systems for minimum harmonic and intermodulation distortion.
• High-quality titanium/silver finish.
• A specially developed damping element, made from fine acoustic metal mesh, ensures a precise damping over the entire diaphragm surface, highly constant in all climates.
• Specially modulated connecting cable (detachable) made from highly conductive OFC copper, with very low handling noise, i.e. low structure-borne sound sensitivity.
• Extremely lightweight aluminium voice coils ensure excellent transient response.
• Gold plated 1/4" jack plug with adaptor lead to 3.5 mm jack plug.

Impressions

The Sennheiser HD650 headphones come in a metallic grey easy-to-open cardboard box akin to the HD700s black colored box. There is no way one could determine if the specimen has been used previously or not. The packing is impractical too as I would never store these headphones in such a large cardboard box and waste rack space. I found the GoodCans Protective Headphone Bag (Large) to hold the Sennheiser HD650 headphones perfectly well and allows for easy storage when not in use.

The Sennheiser HD650 headphones are aimed for desktop listening and they come with a detachable 3m long cable with proprietary connectors that connect on either side of the headphones. These connectors are also made by brands like Furutech for DIY cables and there are a lot of aftermarket Sennheiser headphones upgrade cables, available today, from third party brands that allows customizing the length, connectors and conductors of these cables. Aftermarket cables may also alter the sound of these headphones a bit.

As part of the package, a non-branded 6.3mm TRS to a 3.5mm TRS jack adaptor cable is included. The Sennheiser stock adaptor cable may be the same adaptor cable used by Grado and Audeze. They are merely wrapped in different plastic sheathing, branding and are priced differently. I have the adaptor cables from Sennheiser and Grado, though the latter is stiffer due to the heavy sheathing used, the connectors are identical and they sound just the same.

The Sennheiser HD650 comes with velour ear pads. They are soft and extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, they are unfit for countries with tropical climate. These ear pads are sweat guzzlers and skin/hair debris magnet. This leads to regular maintenance. Improper use will lead to foul smelling and deteriorating ear pads over a short period of time. A pair of additional/optional Sennheiser leather or artificial leather earpads could have been a better alternative for tropical countries.

Performance

The old school Sennheiser HD650 headphones are meticulously engineered product with clever use of plastic and minimal amount of metal for optimized strength to weight ratio. This results in a headphone that is extremely light on the head and is ideal for long listening sessions. The abundance of plastic may upset users looking for slick headphones to be worn in public.

The Sennheiser HD650 headphones do have a clamping force stronger than that of the HD700 headphones. I’m used to wearing Howard Leight Earmuffs for extended periods of time and thus not very sensitive to the clamping force of these cans. I think most people will get used to this clamping force with extended use.

The HD650 headphones are rated at 300 Ohms and are easily powered by most desktop devices. The HD650 can keep getting louder without losing composure. With most amps, I could barely get past the 10 Oclock position. I enjoy all my headphones very responsibly in moderate volume levels as my ears are very sensitive and is prone to fatigue very easily. The HD650 is very source sensitive and they do sound their best when paired with good DAC/Amps fed with clean power supply and lossless FLACs.

I do not recommend the Sennheiser HD650 headphones for use with mobile phones and MP3s. For that any sub USD 100 cans such as the Koss PortaPro will just do fine. If you are thinking of investing in a pair of Sennheiser HD650 headphones or something similar then please be ready to invest in a quality source to bring out the best in them.

The spectral balance is tipped towards the midrange and bass. There is less treble energy and extension than the HD700. These headphones need a good amount of burn-in before they open up to optimum performance. Post burn-in, I could feel the bass impact bloom, vocals more natural and the soundstage become more expansive.

The Sennheiser HD650 headphones have a captivating timbre and beautifully lush tone. I feel connected with the music regardless of the format/quality of recording used. The better the source quality the more detailed and transparent they get. With a quality source the HD650 open-back headphones are more transparent to recording artefacts than the open-back HD700 and the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones, they are almost on par with closed-back headphones such as Sony 7506 and Brainwavz HM5 headphones.

Comparison

The headphones that I would like to compare the Sennheiser HD650 is with the Beyerdynamic DT880 and the Sennheiser HD700 headphones. All three dynamic headphones belong to different price points. The list price for HD650 is USD 600, the DT880 is USD 400 and the HD700 is USD 1000. All of these headphones sell at heavily discounted prices today.

Sennheiser HD650 vs. Beyerdynamic DT880

Though both old school German dynamic headphones, designed for desktop listening, belong to different price points, they both sell at about USD 300 in Amazon, USA, from time to time. They compete with each other and makes for an interesting comparison.

The Irish made Sennheiser HD650 is a clever mix of lots of plastic with minimal metal and the German made Beyerdynamic DT880 uses a lot more metal by comparison. Both are lightweight headphones and yet I find the Sennheiser HD650 more attractive and ergonomic than the DT800. The Beyer DT880 just looks plain ugly on the head. The only other headphone that looks much worse is the Fostex T50RP orthodynamic headphones.

The HD650 has oval earpads and the DT880 uses round earpads. Both earpads are soft velour and is ideal for long-term listening comfort. The DT880 comes with a decent carrying pouch and 6.3mm screw-in TRS adaptor over a 6.3mm TRS jack. The HD650 comes in an impractical cardboard box and a 6.3mm TRS to a 3.5mm TRS jack adaptor cable. I also despise the DT880s fixed cable design and appreciate the HD650s detachable cables better.

I initially tried the 600 ohms Beyer DT880 and quickly realized that they are very power hungry and deserves nothing less than a good quality headphone amplifier to drive them optimally and so I replaced them with the easy to drive 250 ohms version. The Sennheiser HD650 is only available in 300 ohms version. On my desktop DAC/Amp, when I use the HD650 the volume barely touches the 10 O’clock position, the DT880 on the other hand, reaches the same level of volume at about 01 O’clock position. They offer very different efficiency levels here despite the similar impedance ratings declared. Those seeking to use the DT880 with portable/desktop devices should try the 32 ohms version.

Both these old school headphones focus on what is left in any recording. This makes for easy listening even with older 16 bit recordings just as well as modern 24 bit recordings. Compared to the Beyerdynamic DT880, the Sennheiser HD650 has a tad wider/deeper soundstage, greater transparency to recording artefacts, more articulate midrange, a better extended bass response and are easier to drive despite the higher impedance rating.

Compared to the Sennheiser HD650, the Beyerdynamic DT880 appears more neutral, grainier, less dynamic and less engaging. They tend to appear lifeless and boring over extended periods of time. They tend to lull me to sleep more often than any other headphones I own. Maybe, the DT880s are ideal for bedtime listening.

I personally enjoy the Sennheiser HD650 more than the Beyerdynamic DT880. The HD650 belongs to a higher price point and is totally worth the asking price.

Sennheiser HD650 vs. Sennheiser HD700

I’ve spent 100s of more hours with both the Sennheiser HD700 and HD650 headphones. My impressions have not changed but I’m now able to appreciate their strengths and differences better. Between the two, it really comes down to a matter of preference, whether you like the sound to be sweet and dishonest (colored for musicality) or if you like the sound to be rude and honest (true to source).

I’ll have to give an analogy to better explain this. The HD650 is a like a high performance Plasma HDTV. It has beautiful black backgrounds, unmatched contrast and the most realistic skin tones. Even though the overall picture may appear a tad dark, they are easier on the eyes for the long run and very forgiving of imperfect videos. The HD700, on the other hand, is like a high performance LED HDTV. It has beautifully vibrant colors, almost bordering on over saturation and picture that is sharp (but not necessarily transparent). Even though the overall picture quality may appear to be well lit, they may not be easier on the eyes in the long run and may not be forgiving of imperfect videos.

The old school Sennheiser HD650 headphones focuses on what is left of any recording and thus they make for euphonic listening experience with older 16 bit/poorly mastered recordings. The new school Sennheiser HD700 headphones focuses on what’s missing in a recording and thus makes for a precise listening experience with newer 24bit/perfectly mastered recordings. Songs such as Creep by Radiohead and Billie Jean by MJ that sounds trashy with the HD700 sounds more bearable and enjoyable with the HD650.

With movies, the Sennheiser HD650 headphones’ dark, polite and laidback presentation, with decent soundstage, makes for an unengaging experience. Whereas, the Sennheiser HD700 headphoneswell-lit, dynamic and articulate presentation, with a wider soundstage, takes you right to the middle of the story. The HD700 is able to resolve background/ambient information better and is also the better headphones for enjoying movies/videos online.

There is no clear winner here. The Sennheiser HD650 and HD700 headphones have very little in common, their presentation and the way they approach sound is very different from each other. They do not compete, they complement each other. They currently sell for USD 300 and USD 450 respectively. For these heavily discounted prices they are a great bargain. Together they make for a worthy set of headphones to collect and they have you covered in more ways than any single pair of headphones can.

Wrap-up

The Sennheiser HD650 may no longer be a flagship headphones, but they still remain a benchmark against which all current flagship headphones are compared and judged. They may be easy to drive and easy to listen to most types/formats of music but they deserve a quality DAC/Amp and FLACs to bring out the best in them.

Those wanting to try an open-back easy-going high-resolution headphones from Sennheiser should start their journey with the timeless classicHD650. They are still the best value in the market today after being in production for over a decade!

Pros

• Hi-Res headphones that shine with decent source and lossless music.
• Full-sized headphones that are light and very comfortable for extended listening.
• Ideal for listening to 16bit/older recordings without fatigue.
• Easy to drive compared to similarly rated headphones from competition.

Cons

• Open-back headphones for solitary listening only.
• Plasticky build and finish.
• The long 3m cables are a mess to handle for everyday listening.
• Not recommended for watching movies.
on 24 May 2005
For years I have been frustrated by the sound of headphones which didn't live up to the sound that came out of my speakers, so with that in mind I did some research into what would give me the results I was looking for, so after reading various reviews in magazines I found that this model of headphones HD650 which was given 5 stars in February 2004 by "What Hi-Fi" and was made an "editors choice" by "Hi-Fi Choice" about the same time made these headphones look like a better buy than the older HD600 model I had been looking at so after hearing both, I took the plunge and acquired a pair of the newer HD650 for myself.
The headphones come in stiffened grey card box, which has chrome hinges; the box is lined with dark grey foam that is cut to fit the headphones exactly.
The box also contains a gold-plated 3.5 jack adaptor for use with walkmans Ipod's and other portable sound systems.
Inside a clear plastic pocket comes the manual and the 2-year warranty certificate which just like the manual is written in English German French Italian Spanish and Swedish and has a list of Sennheiser distribution centres.
The headphones are sliver titanium in colour.
This text is from the manual:
With the HD 650, sennheiser has followed the changes in the listening habits of music- lovers and the way in which they experience sound. In spite of all purism and the highest demands on precise sound reproduction, a slight change n listening behaviour is detectable. Today many music-lovers want to feel the sound more instead of plainly analysing it. The HD 650 now captivates your senses where you used to be a mere observer. It allows total submersion into an ocean of music and lets you completely forget your surroundings.
Come and enjoy this unique listening experience.
Features
· Top of the range open, dynamic hi-fi stereo headphones
· Systems with narrow tolerances (± 1 dB), hand picked in pairs
· High-quality titanium finish
· Specially developed acoustic silk for precise, uniform attenuation over the entire area
· Detachable connecting cable made from highly conductive OFC copper, Kevlar-reinforced, with very low handling noise
· Extremely lightweight aluminium voice coils ensure excellent transient response
· Exceptionally comfortable to wear due to elliptical design adapted to the shape of the ears
· Can be directly connected to stationary hi-fi components of the highest quality, in particular SACD, DVD-A and CD players
The Sound
· Exceptionally natural, spatial and accurate sound
· Suitable for all types of music
· Balanced, contoured bass
· Real deep bass reproduction
· Exceeding authentic voice reproduction
· Unobtrusive, natural strings and wind instruments
· Pleasantly natural trebles
· Silvery. Clear cymbals
Technical Data
Frequency response 16 - 30,000 Hz (-3dB)
10 -39,000 Hz (-10dB)
Acoustic response dynamic "open aire"
Frequency curve diffuse-field loudness
equalization
Nominal impendence 300Ω
Sound pressure level at 1 kHz 103dB (1 v rms)
Long term max. input 500 mW as per EN60-268-7
THD ‹ 0,05%
Sound coupling to the ear circumaural
Headphone caplier pressure approx. 3.4 ± 0.3 N
Weight (without cable) 260g
Plug 6.3 mm Ø gold-plated stereo jack
Adapter 6.3 mm → 3.5 mm Ø gold-plated stereo jack
Connecting cable OFC signal cable, 3m
All you tech heads out there I hope all that means something to you because it means nothing to me, all I know is that at last I have a pair of headphone that envelope me in sound and are not painful to wear after a couple of hours wear and sound superb no matter what genre of music I play and create a true hi-fi experience with astonishing resolution and tone that are a joy to listen to, a true audiophiles dream, expensive but worth every penny for the years of pleasure they will bring me.