on 2 November 2017
Sorry, not for me. Don't think he managed this one, despite his superb productions of 'Swan Lake' and 'Sleeping Beauty'.
on 16 June 2017
fab
on 30 June 2017
Purchased because I loved the real performance, now can watch it again!
on 18 August 2017
Awesome
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 April 2014
Having loved Swan Lake and The Car Man, I found this Matthew Bourne production - the first of them - a bit less good. As someone else has pointed out, the scenes at the orphanage are all in shades of grey, with quite a lot of black, and given that this lasts about 35 minutes, it feels too grimy for a children's ballet, too depressing both visually and in its touch of Dickensian social realism - and for adults too. The acting is very good, but the dancing seems less developed - more secondary - than in the other Bourne ballets. He excels at storytelling, but this too feels stalled in the first act, and because there is no summary anywhere to be found, it is difficult to know what is going on from what we see (thank goodness for C. O. DeRiemer's review on this page). I also thought the costumes were less good than in other productions, either being unflattering in Act 1 or too pink and garish in Act 2. I have to admit that I have always hated Liquorice Allsorts, though, so I can't claim to be very objective!

On the plus side, the dancers in all the main parts are very charming, and some of the colourful scenes near the end, particularly those done in front of a giant wedding cake, are superb. Clara is very expressive, and the Nutcracker does look splendid in his shirtless costume. The three gobstoppers are also appealing, and there are many humorous touches. However I don't think it shows Bourne at his best, and the look of his ballets was enhanced when he started working with Lez Brotherston as his costume and set designer.
on 11 March 2017
Bought it as a gift & the recipient loved it
on 27 April 2017
Superb
on 10 January 2010
I am a huge fan of the Traditional Nutcraker and have to admit that I nearly didn't watch this at all when it was on TV a few years ago. But watch it I did and really enjoyed it. So this Christmas I bought it and having watched it again, I do really love this version. The music is same as traditional Tchaikosvky. There are a few tweaks to the story but they are cleverly done and it doesn't stray too far from the original plot. What really makes this ballet fantastic is the sets and costumes. It is a riot of colour and literally makes you feel like a kid in a sweetshop!! It works on so many levels. As regards to children watching it - I really can't see much to offend. Ok there is ambiguity with hints at sexuality and there is a bit of gyrating on the giant cake but these are things which would probably go over most young children's heads. It's definitely a mood-lifter!
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 February 2008
Whilst I am a big ballet fan for some reason the 'traditional' nutcracker has always left me cold. I went to see this version on stage to fill a night when my mum was visiting-I have never been so pleasantly delighted in my life! We both loved it-there was so much more of a coherent engaging story with characters that you actually felt something for (something missing from the 'regular' version). Inventive, colourful, simply fantastic!
on 3 December 2005
I enjoyed the whole ballet enormously. The dancing, and the acting, is superb. Etta Murfitt as Clara is delightful and the supporting cast are first-rate. The ideas are fresh, funny and inventive, particularly in the orphanage scenes. I have only one small reservation: Alan Vincent, as the Nutcracker, is wonderful in the first part but, once arrived in Sweetieland, seems to lose some of his verve and to become, as a previous reviewer has remarked, just a tad 'lackluster'. I don't think people should be put off by the fact that it is not a conventional ballet, danced 'en pointe'. Personally, I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone, whatever their age, and whatever their taste in dance.