Format: DVD|Change

on 20 June 2008
Just watched a rental version of this DVD so am not sure what information the booklet contains. Good to see some "live" legendary TOTP performances of songs that I only get to hear on radio and Cd. Can only guess why no Bowie, Beatles and Bangles(cost etc). The quality of the picture obviously decreasing with age, but with a HD TV and a surround DVD player that increases picture quality to near HD I was amazed at the overall quality.
Special feature 1)" Dancing Queens", a musical sequence featuring past members of "Pans People" 2) "Overture and beginnings", a rundown of all the various TOTP opening tunes, 3)"TOPT uncut", six songs as they were original broadcast, including there intros and chart rundowns. 4) "Every picture tells a story", with great photos of past guests, all the missing greats (pictures obviously cheaper than the videos) 5) "TOTP uncovered", Behind the scenes with Andi Peters. 6) "Pop miscellany", switch to on if you want pop information to come on with the videos.
Not sure if option 6) "Pop miscellany" on "special features" comes on automatically on the non rental version but I sat all through the DVD whining about the lack of information on the screen i.e. Title, performer and broadcast date, when I discovered option 6) on "special features". Switch to "on" to get the kind of information on TV version of TOTP 2.
on 16 February 2005
Excellent DVD "Top of the Pops" was always a favorite of mine since the 60's. I watched it every Thursday as a teenager and well into my 20's. The quality of the black & white footage is great and I had forgotten how good the songs still are. DVD has a great balance of old and more up to date artists. Let's hope they bring out another DVD to celebrate 50 years of TOTP's. This DVD is well worth buying or renting. I enjoyed it a lot.
on 29 January 2005
If you like the music of the 1960's right through to the latest chart music you'll like this DVD.
There's something for all the family on this DVD, your kids right through to your grandparents.
Even they will like it!!
In other words, it's a good buy!
on 3 September 2006
OK, so it's an anniversary dvd, but tell me, where are the Beatles? Where are the big American superstars from the '70s? Where are David Cassidy, the Osmonds and the Jacksons? Why have they been left out? Why only British artists? This is a very incomplete overview of the pop show that my generation grew up with. Very disappointing. Volume 2 must surely be in the pipeline, with all the American artists included. Yes, there are some great tracks, and yes, there are some superb artists, but I, for one, find this a very unfulfilling dvd.
on 28 September 2007
There are some classic tracks on this dvd but its what is missing that is wrong.No Beatles,Stones,Police,Abba,Bowie,Mott,Elo etc etc the list goes on and on.The trouble is I can see this becoming the dvd version of Now thats what I call music.I am not sure,however if this is a good or bad thing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 December 2013
This one-off anniversary DVD of 'Top Of The Pops' marked it's forty year run, before the BBC called time on it two years later. It features one performance from each year spanning 1964-2004, and it's very easy to say it could have been better, and I agree with those fellow reviewers on this Amazon page who have said that it could have been.

There are some artists here which I personally wouldn't have included on this anthology in a million years - but what's bad to some it's good to others, and there is at least something on here that should appeal to everybody. There are plenty of big hits, many of which hit the very top spot, household names and classic songs. The DVD kicks off with performances in black and white and then graduates to colour, resulting in plenty of nostalgia for all music fans. The fashion, the hair - all memories will come flooding back.

It isn't perfect (unless you have 'very' varied tastes) and it would be a good idea to release more DVDs under specific musical genre (that would please many people) or maybe to devote whole discs to all four decades. As this was released almost ten years ago, I know it's unlikely that another 'Top of the Pops' DVD will come along anytime soon.

I'd advise you check the track listing before purchasing, but I personally enjoyed a lot of it. There is something for everyone! My personal favourites are Oasis, Blur, Manic Street Preachers, The Jam, Queen, Take That, and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, so four stars is justifiable.
on 7 December 2006
This is a very poor effort from the BBC.This is a poor representation of its flagship music programme that has entertained generations of Pop Pickers. I can only presume that costs and contracts prohibited the inclusion of many great, and forgotten, acts. One of the 'special' features provides a strapline of 'Pops Miscellany' which is so scant as to be hardly worth providing:I knew more than I was being told. Also the picture transfer doesn't achieve real clarity until about 1998!

Forty years of TOTP deserves better than this.
on 12 April 2011
Foot tapping memories, enhanced by a glass of wine an that Friday night feeling! Very good vaue for money. Will be watching it again soon.
on 7 September 2011
Really enjoyed listening to this D.V.D Yes there was some artists missing that i thought would be on! can't complain the price was great and will make me buy more, so really cleaver marketing, keeping me thirsty for more!! x
on 31 August 2013
A mixture of great classic hits and others that such past their sell by date. This is just due to my taste. The great thing is that one click on the >>| and you are straight on to the next track. This will be listened to by me over and over and great for a few friends in.