Top critical review
4 people found this helpful
Mis- collimated, otherwise great for the casual observer
on 26 January 2016
1) Image appears fairly sharp & focused over the centre
2) Colour fringing (chromatic abberation) wasn't obvious, if there at all.
3) Mechanics (focusing is smooth, hinge is smooth)
1) They appear mis- collimated, making it really uncomfortable when viewing for long periods
2) There is a fair amount of internal light scattering, probably due to the mono- coating, although for this price it is to be expected.
3) The exit pupils are very squared off. I suspect BK7 prisms have been used to cut costs. I am disappointed Olympus did not specify the material they use for the prism. For most casual users though, this probably isn't an issue.
Overall, they work well, but the mis- collimation issue makes viewing a bit of a pain, to the extent it's preventing me enjoying these bins. It's a pity because otherwise they seem decent.