Format: DVD|Change

on 5 August 2002
If Frank Capra had been making movies in the late 1980s, he probably would have made Field of Dreams. Many of the best loved movies deal with the hopes and dreams of ordinary folk. More recently, this has been repeated by 'The Shawshank Redemption'and back in Capra's era it was 'It's a Wonderful Life'. Two very different movies dealing with the subject of faith in our own dreams, both of which are universally loved by audiences.
Field of Dreams centres around Ray Kinsella, his wife Annie and their daughter who live on a farm in Iowa. Ray is a self confessed novice farmer whos efforts to keep the business financially viable are becomming pressured.
One day, whilst in his cornfield Ray hears 'the voice' and is told "If you build it he will come". Ray takes this as a sign that he is to build a Baseball field on his farm and that Shoeless Joe Jackson (his deceased sporting hero) will come and play, allowing his hero some redemption for his shame and exile from baseball following illegal 'throwing of games'in his heyday.
Unsurprisingly, Annie thinks Ray is losing grip on reality but gradually warms to Rays idea, sensing that it is something much more than the misguided project of a slightly lost farmer.
The film develops as Ray builds his field and mysterious and magical things begin to happen to those around him.
Along the way he meets many beatifully crafted and played characters. James Earl Jones as a burnt out 60's novelist and Burt Lancaster as a failed Baseball player turned doctor.
Ray is selfless in his persuit of helping those around him achieve their goals and only towards the end of the film does he ask "whats in it for me?".
We all find out whats in it for Ray at the end in a closing scene that will melt even the hardest heart. Ray fulfills his real dream without even really consiously knowing what it was.
Some of the pro-critics have accused the movie of being overly sentimental but the film is a charming and magical jouney through the lives of ordinary folk. Most of us are Ray Kinsellas, with dreams we may never be brave enough to try to fulfill.
If only Hollywood made more films of this class rather than the endless stream of mindless action movies maybe that seem to bombard us from every angle.
Dont be put off by the baseball theme, just sir back enjoy the story, the beautiful Iowa cornfields, the acting, the superb musical score and you too will believe that dreams can come true.
11 Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2015
Early Kevin Costner and modern day classic. Excellent plot, script and acting all round. A film that deals with emotion and sentiment in a way that can be enjoyed by both adults and children. Such a shame that Costner's career path followed the same trajectory as Eddie Murphy a decade earlier - both started off with a number of early hits, both projected to be superstars in the coming years but then ego and dubious film choices meant both careers went downhill fast after the early successes.
on 20 November 2002
What an amazing film. I have watched it 30 times and I feel like I'm there with Ray in his corn field.
I first saw this film not long after my father died 3 days before Christmas day in 1990. He had just retired and I thought that I would at last be able to get to know him. He was never at home, always away at work and something sort of told me that this was a turning point. It wasn't to be.
Now I watch this film and I can feel my father here with me. Rays story touches that nerve that for me at least brings back all those things I would have liked to have talked about with him but never got the chance. He never saw our children but I know he is here looking after us.
As to the corn field, my corn field is in two places, a bedroom in my house where he helped me install my central heating, and at my mothers garden where we built a shed together.
This is a classic. Never let it be deleted from the catalogue!
on 26 May 2017
A brilliant film I've seen many times and always brings a tear to my eyes when Kevin Costners character meets up with his young dad ...many thanks to musicmagpie for a 1st class service ..😂
on 22 June 2017
A great story and one, not to be missed✌️👍
on 29 April 2017
I had forgotten how good it was
on 26 April 2017
Another Classic from past well worth watching
on 12 May 2017
great item many thanks quick post
on 12 June 2017