I have used these professionally for sound recording for about 15 years and whilst not without their issues (detailed below) they do suit me quite well. I have tried various other professional cans but I have to say that I keep coming back to these, for the price they can't be beaten.

First and foremost great audio quality, clinical sounding which can reveal faults in noisy headphone amp circuits.
Good fit, the slit headband, padded head band and earcups work well. The length of adjustment of each earcup is also impressive
Good seal, almost as good as Bose QC15s in acoustic noise reduction level but without the active element.
Very repairable. As they get older things get worn out, the headband pad, the earcup pads and once thet get very old the actual adjustment on the earcup sliders gets very loose. Sennheiser stock an amazing range of spares for these headpones.
Great cable, not curly and not too short, just right with a good right angle plug on the end.

Comfort, for me I find they press on the outer part of the ear a bit too much, after about 2 hours I have to take them off for a few minutes
Earcup connections. Often I need to re-seat the electrical connection on one or more earcups as the sound in one of them cuts out. Doing this usually cures it, it's not a dead driver just a dodgy connection.

Oh and a little tip, get the optional velour car cup pads, Sennheiser HD25 Earpads Velour much more comfortable than the included ones
on 9 February 2016
Sometimes headphones or IEMs can bring out great resolution in music but sound a little too clinical and neutral... NOT THESE. These have tremendously clear vocals and instruments, but most importantly... they give you a fun listening experience. You will definitely pick up on new things in songs if this is your first upgrade to £100+ headphones. What's the best feature for me is the control of all aspects in songs. Not sure how to describe it... but they pace the songs more accurately giving you more time to pick up on all those little features in songs you previously have never heard.

The bass is wonderfully controlled, never too prominent... very smooth... bass heavy tracks are controlled in such a way where you still get the big bass sound but not at any detriment to the other instruments and vocals.

Acoustic gigs and even big large stadium gigs are energetic and fun. Freddie Mercury's vocals at Wembley are crystal clear and it gives you even more respect for his vocals live. The harmonies from the others come more to the foreground too which is a joy and something less expensive headphones have never did for me.

Sound isolation is great. Wore them on the subway and heard very little noise while in motion.

They are comfortable to wear, some others have complained about them clamping the head and having to wear them for a couple hours at a time... i don't have this problem, wore them for four hours when i got them!

Another criticism I've read is the sound stage being narrow... again I feel the sound stage is the same as any other headphones I've had, wide enough for that fun stereo effect.

No cable noise while walking either.

You may want to use a headphone AMP to get the most out of them, although I'm not saying they are quiet... an AMP just takes them to the next level. i use a Topping NX2 (£40), but you can get a good amp even cheaper, try Fiio.
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2004
Sennheiser have a reputation for producing low power accurate and easy to wear headphones to cater for consumers and professionals. The HD 25 is the pinnacle of their art. It has good sound isolation and a comfortable headband. They way a fraction of rivals such as Beyerdynamic DT100s and are appreciably louder. Just about every component on them are user servicable (parts can be obtained from the likes of which is makes is more favourable than the rare Sony MDR 7509 professional series.
They only come in uber fashionable black and are wired with a short single sided cable making them as at home in an iPod or a mixing desk. HiFi snobs would prefer electrostatics or obscure makes with a matched headphone amplifier but for those of us who live in the real world, HD 25s are as good as it gets.
on 7 December 2011
Excellent sound quality, take it from someone who produces/dj's electronic music.
Ambient sound isolation is superb and response is crisp and clear across all frequencies right down to a punchy and tight low end.
Volume is loud with only a hint of distortion at the top end. comparing with the much heavier but equally priced allen&heath xone xd:53, I would have to say these have the edge in sound and are certainly more comfortable to wear for long periods.
Only thing I would mention is that the basic edition only come with one set of ear cups and non-extendable (non-coiled) 1.5m cable. worth bearing in mind if you plan on using them to dj.
on 26 October 2008
There are many brands of headphones out there that are designed for DJ use, and many of them are from well respected names in the DJ world such as Technics and Pioneer.

Ignore them all.

After starting off on the slightly cheaper HD-25 SP versions way back when (same sound and cup design, but different headband) i am now on my second pair of HD 25s and so far have never found any other pair that I would replace them with.

These are THE headphones that professional DJ's use. The sound quality is second to none, the isolation is good for inside noisy clubs and the cups are a little smaller than other brands which makes them much more comfortable to wear.

If you look at pictures of any of the "big name" DJs playing live, be it in Ibiza or London or New York, (and barring the few that have sponsorship deals and get paid for wearing/advertising certian brands) these will be the headphones that you will always see.
on 21 May 2016
These punch well above their weight. Note I have owned the high end offerings from the likes of Beyerdynamic (T1, T5p, T70 and the T90, all sounded great but had their pitfalls which became too annoying given the price), whilst there is a slight loss of soundstage, these are incredible and I do not miss any previous headphones I have had listed above.

These are very comfy and after 50 hours use will really come to life. In an ideal world, they do sound better with a good feed, by that I mean good quality lossless music, a good DAC such as AudioQuest Dragon Fly, or better still, the Chord Mojo. Fed by a mere iPhone they sound good but lack some volume. Give them a Macbook and the ante is increased, add the above DAC/HPA into the equation and you are left with awesome sounding headphones which are great for on the move too. I would describe them as being very neutral, bigs bags of SPL at hand should you like to listen to you music this way. Bass is also fantastic, they also block out noise seriosly well. If you are considering any headphones by Beats, please do not buy them. These are miles ahead, end of.

I tend to use them with the AudioQuest Red DAC and Mojo, mostly the latter as it has the edge in terms of solidity and detail. I love how you can crank up the volume and these things do not go all floppy on you at all. It is very apparent why many top DJs use them, all parts are replaceable and they are also very comfy, super light etc.

I have owned and sold many headphones over the years and these will not be sold. If anything I may buy another pair to simply keep in the box.

You may wish to note the copper cabled version sounds slightly better than the steel coiled, marginal but noticeable nonetheless, more smooth and less harsh.

If you have any questions, i'd be more than happy to oblige.
review image
on 27 July 2006
Wow. These only arrived today, and they've not been off my head.

I'm hearing things in my music collection that I'd never heard before. My CDs have layers of sound I'd not heard before, it's a whole new listening experience. Wish I'd had them sooner. The earpads are quite small, but they really do cut off the rest of the world. I can hear a small amount of exposure when they're on someone else's head and the volume is right up, but not enough to identify what is being played etc.

The one wire is a big plus, the only downside being the head band is a litle tight. Overall, tho', I can't recommend the quality of these enough.
on 5 May 2016
These are great professional headphones. I use them for studio work and it doesn't get much better for sound quality.
The headphones ship with a straight cable and not a coiled but I think you can easily add one if you like.
The cable it comes with is short which I like, I bought a cable extender so it can reach my computer but I prefer it without when using them for listening to music on the go.

The cups sit tight against your ears, this ensures a nice close / deep sound but it may start to hurt after a couple of hours, This will loosen over time.
When I used them for the first time the sound started to cut out on the right channel, this was because the replaceable connector was a bit loose when shipping, once I slotted it back in they worked perfectly, just something to look out for...
on 1 April 2009
I've been a DJ for longer than I care to mention, a professional Sound Recordist (the chap with the fluffy thing on the end of a stick. mostly for TV and corporate video) and now a director/editor. Theses things are literally head and shoulders above anything else on the market for accuracy, durability, comfort and design.

I've spent many a day with mine on my head for 12hrs and over without any fatigue, discomfort or problems of any kind.

Some of the best money I've ever spent. First pair lasted the best part of 8 years of constant (every day) use with only a slight adjustment to one of the connectors once. I've even stood in front of the main PA on the Pyramid stage at Glasto, Muse doing their stuff turned up to 11, and happily monitored with these babies.

Buy them now. You will not regret it!
I amazed how good these are. I was amazed how flimsy these seemed but its the lightweight that give this impression.
Everyday i use them to mix and every day they get better as you wear them in. I can hear my sets better and it has made me more fussy as mistakes are picked up but placing beats in the right place makes a better mix.
I used the jvc xtreme for the first 10 mixes and i have just finished vol 11 using these and the excitement to start vol 12 using these is fantastic.

To get these worn in i left them on a mp3 player
24 hrs 50% vol day 1 + 2
24 hrs 75% vol day 3 + 4
48 hrs 90% vol day 5 + 6
This has made a significant difference