Customer reviews

Putumayo Kids Presents African Playground
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 November 2009
This is a real treat for children and adults alike. If you want to feel soaked in the African exuberant spirit then this is the CD for you. We play it a lot and often play it in our van on the way to gymnastics on a saturday morning to get the kids in the mood and to do some warm ups, shaking their hands, heads, wiggling their toes etc... It never fails to properly wake us all up and put us in a cheerful mood.

It is enlivening and beautiful music for children without being patronising or dumbed down like some awful children's albums. Sheer magic. If you go on the Putumayo website, there are free downloads associated with the album, and info on the awards it has won. The most exiting and easy way into understanding a culture is to feel it's rhythms - far more fun and important than learning facts and figures and geography as taught in textbooks - this will do much more to get your kids interested in Africa - it will get under their skin and breathe new life into them!
11 people found this helpful
on 3 December 2013
I bought this for my 2 year old daughter who loves it! It is quite funky and we dance to it a lot. We are white british born and don't speak any african languages but we know all the lyrics and sing along - they are such catchy tunes! Lots of fun and just charming. We like all the Putumayo series, but this one is our favourite from both the childrens and adults lists.
Highly recommended! Great value for money.
One person found this helpful
on 31 May 2018
Lovely book
on 3 April 2013
Another fantasic one from this collection - I'd like to get all of them one day! Brilliant catchy songs and my 4 year old and all her friends of all ages loveit and have learnt some great Swahili from listening to it. totally recommend and they are brilliant for kids parties.
on 25 October 2010
What an amazing CD. I have been teaching my Year 1's dance using Handa's Surprise as stimulus.The music really added to the dance and even the children thought it was amazing. Even the children commented on the music which for 5 and 6 year olds is something.
One person found this helpful
on 20 February 2016
Amazing cd, a necessity for every child.
on 29 August 2012
This CD is fantastic for children. I've used it with both primary school children and in a nursery setting, and the children couldn't help but dance and sing along. It didn't take them long to pick up some of the words and start singing in Swahili! This CD is fun and gives a good introduction to African music. I would definately recommend to everyone.
on 14 January 2013
If your baby likes rhythm and jigs to music he/she will like this cd - but don't overplay it - could drive parents to drink.
on 6 April 2017
My grandson was thrilled with the music. The rhythms are very exciting.
on 8 December 2013
Some of the tracks are a bit serious sounding. I would have omitted a few tracks and put in happier ones, like some South African accapella.

I hope they'll make a new one, which more cheerful tracks.