VINE VOICEon 7 November 2015
Occasionally Disney steps out of its preferred comfort zone, full of fluffy animals or princesses, and the results are usually abysmal or tremendous. With this step Disney hit pure gold and has created something different and extremely entertaining.

Emperor Kuzco is a spoilt brat who treats everything and everyone in his kingdom as his own personal property to do with as he pleases. The idea of doing the right thing rather than what he wants to do has literally never entered his brain. When he needs to displace a town to make way for his new pool, the villagers are not very happy and things start to get complicated. Throw in two of Disneys best ever bad guys, Cronk and Esma, the talented David Spade as Kuzco, John Goodman as Patcha the village leader, a witty and genuinely funny script, very stylish animation, songs by Tom Jones and Sting and you end up with something very different to the normal Disney fare. In fact if you missed the beginning you would not know you were watching a Disney film at all.

Originally a much bigger epic picture, it ended up a light and frothy comedy about friendship and responsibility and is probably all the better for it.

A hidden gem.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 March 2015
I have never seen The Emperor's New Groove before, but I watched Chicken Little yesterday and loved that, so decided to watch The Emperor's New Groove today. I have to be honest, I felt it wasn't as good as I had hoped it was going to be from reading the description on the back on the DVD case.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying it was bad, it is still a great film and deserves the 5 stars I have given it, I was just expecting more music.

I think the main problem was that maybe I was expecting it to have more musical numbers in it with a title of Emperors New Groove and with it kicking off with such a big musical based number as well, plus after watching Chicken Little yesterday which had some great song parts in it. However even with the lack of musical segments I did enjoy it, some parts I found very funny. I don't want to give too much away, but when Emperor Kuzco (when he is in donkey form) and Pacha are in the cafe pretending they are husband and wife, well that part had me in stitches.

So overall, while It was not really what I was expecting it to be I did enjoy it & will be watching it again in the future.
on 18 March 2014
I first watched this movie almost by mistake. I found it while looking through my friends DVDs. It dropped on the floor while I was rifling through them and when I picked it up thought it looked interesting from the cover. I dropped it in the DVD player and what a find it turned out to be!

I've been waiting for a long time for the Blu-Ray edition. I love the movie a lot, it is certainly not your average Disney animated movie. With never a dull moment, the humor is absolutely spot on, and the movie itself is beautifully paced. I can only imagine it is not more well known because the humor may not appeal to everyone, but you only have to look at how many 5 star reviews the DVD edition has to see how popular it is.

This is however not a special edition, and indeed it has very few extras. However if like me you love the movie and just want to see it in glorious high definition, you won't be disappointed!
44 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 May 2017
Everyone should watch this film. It has been a family favourite for years. My girls (19) have just introduced it to their Uni friends.
on 11 August 2013
The first film is Disney's 39th in its Classic Collection from 2001 and comes with DVD versions (Regional Code 1) of these films making it good value and concerns the spoilt Emperor who is changed into a Llama by his adviser who wishes to take over the kingdom and the adventures he has with a farmer who teaches him humility amongst other things as they wrestle back control of the kingdom and to turn the Emperor back into a human being. In the second film Kronk former henchman is now a cook and follows his adventures as he seeks his father's approval and the love of his life.
on 28 April 2017
Prompt delivery. Good quality. No issues. My favourite Disney!
on 25 July 2016
very fast delivery and very happy with the purchase of the film and a great film too I haven't seen this since it was on video so it was nice to finally get it on blu ray and see the difference and you can defo see it lol
on 26 July 2017
Love this DVD
on 23 January 2011
Came across this and watched it with teenagers and 20+ and surprisingly, we all really enjoyed this film. The llama/prince has character and did remind me of someone. Excellent graphics and a real pleasure to watch. A good story which we all enjoyed whatever our age group.
Perhaps not popular because it has not got the usual Disney stereo types of pirates and princesses, cutesy stuff or popular images like in the Toy Story series, but nonetheless, good watching.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 August 2015
My daughters favourite film and at a bargain price, she was over the moon when she saw that she had it for her birthday. Very amusing and just as fantastic as any of the Disney films, so didnt expect anything less. Suitable for both girls and boys.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse