Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 4 June 2008
I watched this series when it first came on TV and remembered it as an enjoyable documentary series with CGI dinosaurs and landscapes that looked very real. I thought this might be something that would interest my young children so I bought the DVD. My decision has turned out a very good one as "my brood" is completely hooked on dinosaurs and want to watch the series over and over again.

It has also prompted me to read up more on some of the different species. There appears to be some controversy over size of the different dinosaurs, such as Liopleurodon, but that's not a really big deal for casual enthusiasts like myself. Therefore it is highly recommended for people of similar background in the subject.

The series is narrated by Kenneth Brannagh (my kids couldn't believe it - they only know him as Gilderoy Lockhart from Harry Potter) whose voice is calm yet authoritative. I have put down a brief description of the 6 episodes.

1. "New Blood" - covers the late Triassic (220 million years ago)
Shows the demise of Postosuchus (an archosaur) and the emergence of dinosaurs such as Coelophysis and Plateosaurus

2. "Time of the Titans" - the late Jurassic period (152 million years ago)
The period when giant dinosaurs, like Diplodocus, walked the earth. Predators such as Allosaurus and armoured dinoasaurs such as Stegosaurus are also featured.

3. "Cruel Sea" - also in the late Jurassic (149 million years ago)
Looks at the giant sea predator Liopleurodon, Cryptoclidus and the dolphin-like sea reptile Opthalmosaurus.

4. "Giant of the Skies" - the early Cretaceous period (127 million years ago)
Follows the huge-winged Ornithocheirus flying across the Atlantic. Also features Iguanodon and Utahraptor.

5. "Spirits of the Ice Forest" - the mid Cretaceous period (106 million years ago)
Set in prehistoric Antarctica, featuring Leaellynasaura, Muttaburrasaurus and Koolasuchus.

6. "Death of a Dynasty" the late Cretaceous period (65 million years ago)
Set in Montana, this episode charts the last days prior to the extinction of the dinosaurs. Features the famed T-rex, Triceratops and Ankylasaurus.
on 24 November 2002
"See what you could only imagine before" is how we should take this BBC series. No matter what the paleontologists and critics say, this is a most up-to-date work on this Lost World.
These 6 Episodes take us, the viewers through the Life and Times of these creatures that walked the earth before us. The special effects, with or without footprints, with or without thumping earth-shaking sounds show us enough, with the latest scientific findings, to give us what we could not picture before.
More than that, they have taken pains in their research to "put to Life" the creatures in terrain that were nearest to what the Dinosaurs were roaming in.
The narration by Kenneth Branagh is authoritative and the material is entertaining and educational. No matter that the producers admit to some guess-work, but we know no more than mere fossils and skeletons found anyway. Even some of the Scientists and Paleontologists agree that with the animation, they have new theories of how some of the dinosaurs moved!
A plus for DVD is the picture-in-picture feature that shows some of the behind-the-scenes and explanatory footage. Also on DVD is a second disc of 50-mins documentary showing the "making of".
This is a typical BBC documentary - brilliant. Altogether, a must-buy documentary feature.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2009
When he was 5 my oldest son [now aged 16] was totally absorbed by the BBC TV series "Walking with Dinosaurs". Recently, my youngest son [now also aged 5] got a book on dinosaurs out of the library and showed interest and I decided to purchase the DVD from Amazon. This has entirely supplanted the Wii in his affections and he is to be found sitting in front of the laptop on a Saturday morning in the kitchen in total awe and silence. A great investment in prospect and in the event.
on 1 September 2006
This brought the whole idea of dinosaurs roaming the earth alive for millions of people who previously would never have considered a visit to a museum or a book on the subject. I thought the reviewer who told us how things were "in reality" was pretty funny - was he there?

To those who gave scathingly negative "I-know-better" reviews: As you didn't like it and it was so beneath you, I assume you only watched one episode, so you are not really qualified to review the whole series.

For the rest of us who don't really care whether estimates (and that's all they are) of a dinosaur's size completely agree with other estimates, just enjoy great edutainment at it's best.
on 22 February 2000
The BBC's 'Walking With Dinosaurs' totally defies classification: a first glance it seems to be a natural history series, with carefully filmed footage and Attenborough-esque narration (provided here by Kenneth Branagh). But there are no live creatures in the series - just models and computer-generated prehistoric animals! The animation gets better with each era covered, and overall the concept can't really be faulted. Watching this video, you realise how far computer technology has come even in the few years since 'Jurassic Park'. Very impressive.
on 2 November 2008
Yes ok the science in this series is dubious. Yes ok the narrative is a bit over the top. But my (nearly) 3 year old son is utterly spellbound. If you have a dinosaur obsessed child to buy for, this dvd is the way to go. You might have to watch it first - the music can be a bit scary for the under 5's of a nervous disposition. Dubious science versus cartoons? I'm for dubious science all the way.
on 29 June 2000
Walking with dinosaurs is exactly what it says on the box and much, much more. Graphics that stun even the latest hollywood releases into silence and scripts which mimic the Nature Documentary style that the BBC is so famous for, help make this a must-have dvd. If your looking for detail, this DVD moves from tiny insects through to huge 35m long monsters. On-screen are the famous dinosaurs and the rare ones. Behind-the-scenes footage inset into the screen show exactly how much care was taken to produce this visually amazing show. Dinosaurs have never been this accessable.
on 11 April 2000
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this, and to think the talent behind this is all from the U.K.(well most of it) it just goes to prove that we've still got what it takes to make fantastic entertaining programmes but retaining educational content, congratulations to all envolved in the production, all I can say is WOW!
on 14 October 2009
great creative animation, it looks realistic enough to have been filmed live........perhaps a time machine does exist and they are not telling us.
on 21 August 2005
I have only seen the films on VHS, the DVD is not out in my country. Can you believe it? Now, to the review:
It's the best! Fun to watch, cool, and what should I say? Great! Althoug there are about 100 little goofs in the animation, like the dinosaur drinks, when he should eat, and some things "go into" other things, but I still like it. Too bad I can't buy it. But I recommend it for everyone.