Format: Audio CD|Change

There's not much difference between OMD's Best Of and their Singles collection. All the real classics like Maid Of Orleans, Joan Of Arc, Electricity, Souvenir and Tesla Girls appear on both and those few tracks that are different are not their best. So if you prefer We Love You, La Femme Accident and Genetic Engineering to Sailing On The Seven Seas, Dream Of Me and Walking On The Milky Way, go for this one! You will still get their more experimental first outings like Electricity plus their spacey, magnificent later work from Architecture And Morality. OMD was one of a slew of original UK synth-duo's that emerged in the early 1980s, along with Yazoo, Eurythmics and Soft Cell. OMD's mark of distinction is their elegant, almost classical structures and mournful moods, best demonstrated by Joan Of Arc and Maid Of Orleans. They were the architects of some truly remarkable and timeless sound sculptures.

on 27 May 2001
Why the Hell (forgive me Joan of Arc) today music is not like this ?. You can be mod, pop or classic music fan but everybody should have an empty space on his/her shelves for this jewel of the 80's and early 90's music. I can listen to this CD for hours, for ages and never be tired. Specially if you are sad or have a special dinner. From the hit "Joan of Arc" to "Enola Gay" or "Secret" or "Tesla Girls" or ... "Genetic Engineering" quite appropiate for this Dolly sheep times. "Locomotion" for those who love travelling. "If You Leave" for lost lovely moments... Each song could have a special moment in your life. Men and Women, those who miss great instrumental music with class voices helping to raise the very Best moments, I recommend this CD. Thanks to Andy and Paul and all their band.
on 17 June 2006
Until recently I knew nothing much about OMD. I had heard of them and that was it. Then I found up an old 7" vinyl of "Maid Of Orleans" and I was totally intrigued....I also wanted to hear the song in full without the needle jumping over a large scratch!

This CD was my first choice, hoping to learn more about OMD's style of music. It IS a great overview with the range of ways they presented their music. While feeling very 1980's-synthersizer-age, there are some excellent tracks on the CD.

Arguably the best tracks include "Maid Of Orleans" and tracks like "We Love You", and "Genetic Engineering". There are always clever lyrical references, catchy rhythms and overall it's a nice album to listen to in the background.

I was really unsure about buying an entire album of OMD, but for the price this has been an excellent value purchase. If like me you'd never really heard their music, now is the time to try!
on 3 February 2006
OMD are quite possibly my favourite band ever. Why? Simply put, this band can write intelligent songs and accompany them with sweet, unusual and powerful melodies. It also makes me sad knowing great music like this is ignored in favor of the terrible mainstream rubbish you find in the shops these days.
OMD were a very busy band in the 1980s, releasing hit after hit after hit, beginning in 1979 with "Electricity" which secured a place on the top 100 list. Shortly after the release of their self-titled debut album, OMD enjoyed greater success with "Maid of Orleans" and "Enola Gay" while "Souvenir" became their biggest hit yet, peaking at #3 on the UK charts.
In America, OMD found moderate success with "So in Love" and the ballad "If You Leave" which was included on the Pretty In Pink soundtrack. The latter track is also featured on a new commercial, so listen out for it.
Music lovers should have this CD in their collection. It really is one of the best albums you'll ever hear. At first you may find Andy McClusky's vocals a bit unbearable, but I recommend this gem nevertheless. Paul Humphreys, Andy McClusky, Martin Cooper and Malcolm Holmes are going to reform this year, so I'm looking very forward to a DVD release.
on 30 January 2016
A very fabulous vinyl with classic songs from which to me are the best group of the 80s, it features classics such as... Electricity ('79), Messages ('80), Enola Gay ('80), Souvenir ('81), Joan of Arc ('81), Maid of Orleans ('82), Talking Loud and Clear ('84), Locomotion ('84), Tesla Girls ('84), So In Love ('85), Secret ('85), If You Leave ('86), Forever Live and Die ('86) and Dreaming ('88). Though this vinyl version dosnt feature Telegraph or Genetic Engineering but this is must a MUST HAVE for any OMD lovers! (Like Me!!). A 1988 Virgin Gatefold Vinyl.
on 28 May 2014
Omd were one of a few truely great 80's bands.their style of electro pop stood out and produced some of the best songs of that era.so many bands were doing the same old "electro "sound that it soon became boring &mundane but mod somehow kept their style fresh &different.you only have to listen to souviner,Joan of arc & sowing the seeds of love to understand what i mean.a really good disc to get.
on 6 July 2016
This cd took me back to my youth in the 80's and I enjoyed 90% of the tracks, I am just not keen on a few of their late 80's stuff i.e. Locomotion etc. It is worth it for their early stuff alone, however, and their more recent music is back on form. If you like this track down a live dvd, they are great live.
on 19 July 2013
This CD version replaces a tape cassette version bought when first produced. As a family we have fond memories of this playing in the car as we travelled Snowdonia and North Wales on holidays. Don't know why but it evokes that part of the world to us and will be playing shortly as we return there. Snynth and singing at its best in my view. Great stuff!
on 2 July 2013
A great CD packed with all the hits from OMD , it's as if I was visiting my childhood again.
You can almost hear hints of Kraftwerk in some of the tracks.
I saw OMD recently on Jules Holland and they sounded just as great as they did many years ago
Please come back and rid the charts of X-Factor and such other rubbish