Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 January 2001
Few people these days will have heard of Charles Trenet. I for one plead to ignorance until recently, when I was enlightened by Nicola & Martin, owners of "Volare", our wonderful local Mediterranean restaurant where I first heard some of this CD! Actually, "Boum" has featured fairly recently in a UK TV ad for private healthcare and is most likely to ring bells if nothing else does. Perhaps, like me, you'd heard it but not known who the performer was.
Either way, delve beyond the joie-de-vivre, humour and vocal gymnastics of "Boum", and other facets of Trenet's artistic personality emerge, too. Far from being a mere amateur singer (as Maurice Chevalier apparently rather disparagingly described him) Trenet is as much a poet as a songwriter and performer (the term "singer" is inadequate, as you'll hear).
I second another reviewer's comment that this CD contains much that is the perfect antidote to melancholy. But some of the songs could bring a lump to your throat, too; listen carefully to "Que-Reste-T-Il-De Nos Amours", or the lilting "La Maison Du Poete" and you'll know what I mean. There's depth and feeling here, as well as fun.
The sound quality is fresh and where it's been transcribed from the old 78 rpm recordings the process has been executed well, and fortunately without the nasty, dead-sounding CEDAR noise reduction process being applied.
An irresistably French CD, obviously written and performed with much love and enthusiasm, and highly recommended to anyone with a soft spot for French music and (idiosyncratic? well, sometimes) nostalgia.
on 23 March 2002
If you love music of any kind you will love this CD. Most people will vaguely know of Charles Trenent from the classic and uplifting "La Mer", or more recently from the Peugeot TV advert which features "Le Jardin Extraordinaire". Over recent years I was aware of Charles Trenent from Michael Parkinson's wonderful Radio 4 Programme of timeless recordings of artists from the last 70 years; from Al Bowlly and Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, to Scott Walker and even Robbie Williams and George Michael. Charles Trenent is a treasure known to the French nation for the last 70 years; listen to this CD, and see what we poor, blinkered Britons have been missing all these years. This is the perfect introduction to the music of Charles Trenent, brought to us via the wonders of modern digital music technology.
on 14 December 2000
Sufferers of SAD this is for you, you cannot but feel uplifted when listening to Charles Trenet. His music is sunny and light, the words full of fantasy and sunshine. Take a glass of red wine, preferably from the Languedoc, turn on your brightest light and relax, delight in the French charm of Charles Trenet. Nothing better for a dark winter day! Try his Greatest Recordings 1937-1943 and listen to songs like 'Vous oubliez votre cheval'.Mad and full of fun!
on 21 November 2007
I only realised that Charles Trenet was the singer of such classics as La Mer when he died. I am not of his era, but I bought the CD and it is superb. I can put it on in the car, in the middle of stalled traffic, and be transported to the French countryside. And my 3 year old daughter also fell in love with it.
on 30 August 2010
Have only recently discovered Charles Trenet. What a gem. I find it particularly relaxing to put this on before I fall asleep. Also good if you just want to feel brighter about life. Would recommend this CD without hesitation.
I just got this to replace my worn-out, original audio-cassette version of the album which I`ve had for about 20 years; it`s like having an old friend back.

This is one of the best single-disc compilations of Trenet`s music available; lovely clear original sound, lovingly transferred to disc by EMI. It`s a nicely selected and well programmed set as well, balancing the poetic, ("L'ame Des Poetes") the nostalgic ("Coin De Rue") and the ebulliently surreal ("Y'a d'la Joie").
It makes the perfect introduction for anyone just discovering his wonderful legacy; I first heard him on Alexis Korner`s Blues and Soul Show, of all places! John Peel wasn't the only BBC presenter who generously offered diversity in his playlists...

And there's a bonus; the album originally ended with the glorious "La Mer". The last five songs on this CD re-issue were not on the original record, so you get just over 74 minutes playing-time.
Warmly recommended.
on 29 January 2010
This CD contains all the big hits of Trenet. That's what I expected when I bought the product. Apart from that, pity that the lyrics are not included.
on 13 September 2013
I really don't care that I can hardly understand a word of the lyrics (not the fault of Trenet - my appalling French!) The music is singular and one or two of the tracks make me laugh out loud and I don't know why. That joy is good enough for me.
I knew the opening track 'Boum' from movies such as 'A Good Life' and I knew 'La Mer' but I did not expect to finds so much here to enjoy. Every track evokes different emotions and I cannot stop playing it. My tastes in music are varied and include rock, blues and jazz but this is so refreshing. It has a timeless quality. Trénet must have been a wonderful entertainer. He is able to adapt his voice to suit different songs and convey different emotions. I don't know why more people don't know of him. Well worth the money!
on 15 November 2014
I had never heard of Charles Trenet until I was watching A Good Year and I realised how much I liked the music from the film. So did a little research and came across this CD and decided to order. I was not disappointed a great mood boosting CD, but you do have to enjoy the French that certain French style, which I do.