Customer reviews

Brothers In Arms
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 April 2017
This album has so many memories for me. In 1986 I bought it on LP for my eldest brothers birthday, I loved it so much he bought me a copy on tape, so that I wouldn't keep on pinching the LP to play. Then we both moved on to CD. Even to this day this is both one of our favourite albums.This album never bores me. 5 stars!
on 6 July 2005
When the original CD format was launched it was said that as many people owned Brothers in Arms as owned CD players. The same by rights should be true of the SACD version. 20 years later and the new fledgling format also needs a killer sales-boosting album for people to take it seriously. Brothers in Arms delivers once again.
It has been about 10 years since I last heard a song from this album after giving away my CD copy. Hearing it again brought me as many surprises as the first time round. I had completely forgotten tracks like "Your Latest Trick" and "One World" and they sounds as fresh and stunning as when they were conceived. I simply love this album. So much so that it has reminded me how good listening to music can be. I am talking about music as music (not as background tunes) - sitting quietly and listening purely to this album is just great.
Part of this renaissance is due in no small part to the stunning 5.1 mix. It opens the soundstage right into the room and is never showy or obvious. Just like when stereo is used well and set up correctly, it's hard to discern where effects have been used. Returning back to a stereo recording soon proves just how simply amazing, good 5.1 music can be.
If you liked any of the original tracks released from this album (Money for Nothing, Brothers in Arms or The Walk of Life) then you will love this album. Though the styles of songs on this album change - the quality endures.
....BUY IT.....
11 Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2014
Granted, I haven't much experience of Super Audio CDs yet, but this one must stand out for both quality and good use of surround. Vocals from the centre speaker are distinctly placed, and all speakers are put to good effect with some subtlety. I'm sure I'm hearing bits of the recording that I've never heard before, having had the CD since it came out, and I believe that the spacial element allows a clearer focus on each element. One of the few SACDs to apparently still be in production, and thank God for small mercies.
on 17 November 2015
This is just a classic album from one of the best songwriters/guitarists this country has produced. the standout track for me is "Brothers in Arms", listen to the words, wind up the volume loud the guitar is fantastic, The whole album is great I bought it when it came out, lost it and just had to replace it.
on 15 August 2014
The price was right--- I bought the single-sided one --- for some classic tracks at their best... and full-length versions, at that.
A must-buy for Dire Straits' fans and music-lovers with a good sound-system!
on 1 September 2017
Bought as a replacement for a cassette and the quality shows as soon as you play it. Brilliant.
on 30 September 2017
The Dire Straits at their best. Sounds great.
on 12 March 2017
what can I say ? magic
on 5 October 2017
A classic album
on 14 October 2017
Sound quality of this pressing is amazing.