Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 November 1999
There is no sound like that of a chorus of South African voices in perfect harmony. Harmonising goes back years in South African culture and nobody does it better. (If you like such music, take a look at the 1995 Rugby World Cup "Anthems" CD. The competition was held in South Africa, so Ladysmith are featured quite a bit.) On this CD, they join up with some great artists (Dolly Parton, Paul Simon, China Black and PJ Powers) to provide brilliant renditions of some classics we all know - like "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" and "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes." Overall, a great CD.
on 1 December 2011
I enjoy Ladysmith Black Mambazo very much I don't understand their language but I enjoy the beat, the energy and the general sound and the skill that their songs are put together. I saw them live at the Bridgewater Hall Manchester a few year ago and they were fantastic.
on 5 October 2005
This is a wonderful album that has some fabulous songs on, especially the different versions of popular songs we know and love, such as "Swing low". It's great for those long drives too as it takes the boredom away! :-)
on 30 May 2016
This a great recording but unfortunately there was some slight scratches on the playing side, which stop the CD player, and just kept making a bbbbbbbbbb noise, you have replaced it.
Thank you it is no ones fault because the CD was factory sealed
on 1 December 2012
The best tracks are their trade mark close harmony arrangements. Some of the cover tracks are ruined for me by an insistent synthesizer beat and reggae treatment which does not showcase their unique sound. Fortunately there is enough of the good stuff to jump to over the weaker tracks.
on 20 February 2013
I got the album a few days ago and as a student I have a lot of free time and have been listening to it nonstop. As you might expect I 'discovered' these from the classic Paul Simon album Graceland [25th Anniversary Edition]. I can personally listen to this all the time as in my mind I see it as easy listening. I am also new to this type of music so I don't have anything to compare it to, so this might not be useful to the more experienced listener.

There isn't one song of the twenty on here that I didn't thoroughly enjoy, which isn't something that happens often for me as I'm quite 'love-hate' with music. The performances of the more popular songs and the ones featuring singing in English are all fantastic. Also, all of the performances from the guest performers are great as well.

To a newbie to this style of music I was thoroughly entertained throughout the whole track list so I highly recommend giving this a listen. The classic tracks performed will likely be enjoyed by most, so even if you just want to get a taste of the style then you will probably be able to take something away from it.

Any recommendations for great artists of world music would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
on 22 May 2013
Enjoyed the version of Paul Simons -Diamonds on the soles of her shoes- immensely. Then drifted away in the deep Zulu voices and memories of Kwa-Zulu Natal.
on 20 May 2013
It was o.k. I have heard the songs before so I knew what to expect. As a previous reviewer has stated, many of the songs begin to sound all the same after a time. Nevertheless, a pleasant sound and enjoyable.
on 19 March 2014
Yes I did ,it gives you a good glimpse of Africa,adding to my collection ,I now have 6cds of this brilliant group.
on 9 October 2013
I have quite a good collection of music that ranges right across the spectrum of genres. Punk, heavy metal, rock, reggae, jazz, jazz fusion, classical etc etc but I don't have much "World" music. Recently I decided to rectify that and given it's an area of music that I know little about I decided it was ok to buy some compilation best of type albums - something I rarely do in my more natural genres as if I end up liking something I'll inevitably buy more by the same artist if not their entire catalogue and therefore the compilation becomes a waste of money. Anyways I thought that an unknown area could be a safe exception. Wrong. This otherwise superb selection of LBMs work is spoilt by some poor choices of tracks. I love the proper South African stuff and the two tracks from Simon's Graceland but why did LBM ever record Swing Low, Knockin' on Heavens Door and Chain Gang. I am not saying the musicianship or vocals are poor but these tracks just don't fit on this otherwise excellent introduction to their music. I am putting these blips down to some stupid record company executive and not LBM themselves. Hence a 5 star album demoted to 3 stars. Shouldn't have bought a compilation!