Format: Audio CD|Change

Richard Carpenter didn't have much time to write new songs for this album, so he only contributed three of his own songs (Saturday, Drusilla Penny, One love), but all of them are excellent. For the other tracks, Richard was able to identify some brilliant songs from outside sources and the end result was one of the strongest albums that the Carpenters ever recorded.

The album features Superstar (which they recorded after hearing Bette Midler sing it). For all we know (from the movie Lovers and other strangers) and Rainy days and Mondays. There's also a medley of six Bacharach-Davis songs, though I don't know why they chose to include I'll never fall in love again, since they recorded a full-length version on their previous album, but that's a minor quibble. Hideaway (written by Randy Sparks, best known as the founder of the New Christy Minstrels), Let me be the one and Sometimes are other wonderful songs.

This album is a masterpiece by the Carpenters, and makes a good starting point for anybody wishing to explore their music beyond the hits.
read one review that claimed The Carpenters were running out of material to mine by the time they approached their third album. This is just nonsense. Once again an album of superlative songs. Today we have an ever expanding conveyor belt of female singers torturing us with their strangled vocals that masquerade as soulful.

Karen Carpenter had one of the most soulful voices of all time without ever attempting to be anything other than a superlative vocalist. Quite frankly she could sing the telephone directory and make it interesting. Rainy Days and Mondays is the kind of song that we can all relate to and once again showed how comfortably Karen and Richard could dovetail in with the work of Roger Nicholls and Paul Williams.

Other songs on this album such as For All We Know and, Superstar (the latter which brought Leon Russell into the picture) are top notch Carpenters efforts. Amongst the original material One Love is outstanding and the duo also link in an excellent Bacharach/David medley that helps to give rather than take away identity. It is here that Richard Carpenter's arrangements come to the fore to give a fresh sound to some very well known songs. The album concludes with one of my favourite songs of all times - Henry Mancini's Sometimes where the lyrics say it all - Just look them up on the internet and luxuriate in some of the most inspiring words ever put to music.
on 30 December 2005
This album is a brill album but the sound quality on this version is quite bad because it is un-remastered. Particularly in track 9, there is an audiable tape-hiss type noise. The better version is the one with a peach cover and the Carpenters logo in brown in the centre. But nontheless a brilliant album.
During the 1970’s as a young child one of my favourite groups was the “Carpenters”, by the time I got to the early 1980’s my great Uncle died but he left all his “Carpenter” albums to me as he knew I loved the group, (so I’ve a lot of their albums on vinyl even though I no longer play them due to my record player dying back in the late 1990’s).

In the early 1980’s I was able to by my first “Carpenters” album but sadly it was Karen’s last as she died suddenly. I was sooooooo sorry when that happened as I loved her voice, and the sound that Karen and Richard produced as a group.

So the CD was born and out went vinyl. I started changing them all on to CD, (but I still have all the records on vinyl).

I play their CD’s a lot as I enjoy listening to them, I find Karen’s voice so relaxing and it helps to take the stress of my day away.

In 1998 I started buying their albums on CD so I could listen to them again. “Now and Then” was the first and this was the second.

The CD has 10 tracks in total.

This album is one of my favourites and I love listening to it, but if you were to ask me if I had a favourite songs I’d have to say. They are “Rainy Days and Mondays” and “Superstar”.

This is a great album for any “Carpenters” fan. :-)
on 6 February 2008
I don't think I could ever have called myself a Carpenters fan but their music has always been with me and it was truly astounding to see how much of it is still available , much of it (as this is) remastered. What I had forgotten was how polished their performances were and what a gob-smackingly beautiful voice Karen had . What a shame she's no longer with us.
This is one of their earlier offerings and features the Bacherach and David medley ( chunks of which turn up , slightly re-arranged on other albums)which I have a feeling may have been part of their Cabaret set from their travelling days. Other favourites are present. Rainy Days and Mondays , For All we Know , One Love and the hauntingly beautiful, Sometimes.It has been re-mastered nicely although that hasn't been over-kind to the Bacherach and David with at least one edit showing up in sharp relief ! Whatever , at this price its a steal.Interesting to see how short the tracks are compared to modern offerings.
on 5 February 2009
Bought this album and Close to you together, after seeing a Carpenters concert on the TV. If anything it was even better than I expected. All the songs where Karen is on lead are great, particularly Rainy Days and Mondays, Superstar, and let me be the one. A place to hideaway and For all we know also really showcase Karen's fantastic voice. And sometimes is a great way for the album to end, just with the piano and Karen singing, no instruments. The only down side to the album though, are the two songs where Richard are lead, Saturday, and Druscilla Penny. Much as I admire Richard as a musician, these songs provide too much of a contrast with Karen's superb voice. Nevertheless, this is one of my favourite albums, and I play it regularly.
VINE VOICEon 28 September 2007
any album by the Carpenters is special, With richard's masterful ear for a song and pruduction talents, and Karens rich, sweet as honey voice is a winning combination. this album is beautiful. look out for 'a place to (hideaway)' a spine tingling ballad garuanteed to have you crying into your hanky.
on 20 January 2012
flippin great

and has exceeded my expectations, does unfortunately show though that todays generation of artists (and I am from that generation) have rally lost the ability to make stuff of this quality

This album is genius

I suggest you buy it!!!!
on 30 October 2000
This albumn has a warm, genuine feel overflowing with atmosphere, music destined to tweek the nostalgia strings of even the most blinkered listener. The songs themselves are not exceptional , some taken from that unstoppable (I've tried!) creative black-hole - 'The musical', others co-written by Mr Carpenter including the catchy queesy-cheesy - 'Saturday' (my personal fav.) Highlights include the medly with Mr (easy listening) Bacherach, and the deeply soulful 'Rainy Days and Mondays'. Low key accoustics perfectly compliment Karens unmatched voice, which inevitably is the reason for purchasing a nice but rainy days and mondays albumn.
on 18 February 2010
The Carpenters third studio album - they just get better and better

This particular album has a large medley selction which The Carpenters performed live at many of their concerts. Its holds the forever memorable 'Rainy Days & Mondays', 'For All We Know' and 'Superstar' but also other gslightly less well known tracks such as Let Me Be The One, (a place to) hideaway' and 'Druscilla Penny'