Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 November 2003
My sister introduced me to Kate Bush when I was 12 with her fantastic 'Hounds of Love' in '85. I thought she was a new artist and to my delight discovered other albums preceeding this. Searching through my sisters collection I found 'The Kick Inside'. My god, what a discovery.
I locked myself away in my room, dimmed the lights, closed my eyes and was instantly taken away to musical pleasure.
Her vocals are sensational and her talent on the piano, brilliant. All the tracks are excellent but my favourites are 'Moving', James and the Cold Gun' and 'Feel It'. This album doesn't seem to age and the effect it has on me each time I listen to it is always satisfying. Buy it, listen to it, move with it, be with it! Corny hey - but that's how it makes me feel.As in the track 'Feel It' - "See what you're doing to me!"
Enjoy.
on 21 May 2001
I first bought this album when I was 16, an age when I started listening to serious and experimental music. I'd heard her long before that but I was still quite young to really appreciate her music. I put the first track on 'Moving' and heard the whales at the beginning of the song and thought I know I'm going to like this. Words cannot describe how beautiful and haunting this album is, but it is also happy and magical. It's hard to believe that Kate was only 14 when she first wrote 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes'. All the songs are fantastic, I can't fault any of them. It's so good that after listening to it, I became a life-long Kate Bush fan and she will always be my favourite artist. With one listen to her albums, you are forever whisked into her fantasy world. These songs are what you call 'Songs', melody, lyrics, beats,feeling, music, instruments. and you also get a beautiful girl into the bargain, what a heroine! buy it! it's fantastic!
on 5 November 2005
In early 1978, Kate Bush burst onto the British music scene with the no.1 smash hit single 'Wuthering Heights'. This was followed by her fantastic first album 'The Kick Inside'. Well, this really is NOT a bad start. From the haunting whale song that starts the album off to the creepy title track, this album delivers. It's hard to believe she was only 19 when she recorded this masterpeice, and only 14 when she wrote the mystical 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes'. There are some great ballads on here and some catchy songs aswell. Buy it, you'll love it. It's a fantastic start from one of the most talent female singer/songwriters ever!
on 24 March 2006
Having first listened to this album aged 12 ( I'm now 17) I still get goosebumps all down the back of my neck. The idea that Kate concieved this album at a similiar age to me now just blows my mind. I now own 5 Kate Bush albums( Lionheart, Never For Ever, Hounds of Love, Aerial) yet there is still something about her debut that draws me in more than the others. I don't think it's because of a superiority in quality, I think it's because it was the first album I ever heard that took me somewhere else. All my friends at that time were listening to Westlife and Atomic Kitten, which I've never been into. 5 years on they all look back in embarrassment, whereas I am still getting the same satisfaction from this beautifully constructed masterpiece.
My personal favourites on the album are Wuthering Heights( which completely captures the beauty of the book), Room For The Life, and Moving), which makes me want to weep everytime i hear the chorus).
Anyway,I've completely rambled on and I'm probably not making much sense, but what I'm trying to say is listen to it ( preferably in a darkened room-so much more effective!)
on 3 November 2005
Kate Bush's debut is amazing for 3 reasons, the first being that there is not a bad song on here, the second being that it is so different from anything else released in the late 70s (or, indeed, ever) and the third being that it was all penned by a girl who had presumably only just finished her O-levels.
The thing Bush does so well here, and where oh so many artists fail, is carry off overtly romantic songs without it ever sounding remotely cheesy - whether this is down to her soaring soprano vocals, her penchant for literary reference or just the musical innovation going on around her is anyone's guess but instilling a sense of sincerity in lyrics like "I'll send your love to Zeus" is some achievement.
"Wuthering Heights" will be familiar to many already as massive hit everywhere exept the US, the big surprise may come in the fact that a large majority of the songs on "The Kick Inside" maintain the high standards (most notably the wise-before-her-years "Man With the Child in his Eyes" and the over-awingly gorgeous "Move").
It is, however, Bush's unique vocal style that pervades the entire album and is showcased so well, from the supernatural howls of "Wuthering Heights" to the playful squark of "rolling the ball, rolling the ball, rolling the ball to me" on "Them Heavy People" - captivating to say the least.
on 30 April 2006
When this came out, it blew off the cobwebs of pop. At a time when punk was king this album came out as the perfect antidote. It's tuneful, delicate, intelligent and occasionally twee. It is also just as English as punk.

Starting off with whale song, you know you are into something a bit different before the first note happens. The songs are beautifully arranged and played with the simpler, piano based, tracks like The Kick Inside, Feel It and L'Amour Looks Something Like You, being the best as they have not dated like the others, which sound very 1970s.

Kate sings like an angel and a banshee, often in the same song and her lyrics are sheer poetry (your sister I was born. You must lose me like an arrow shot into the killer storm). It is amazing that this was written and performed by a teenager. Indeed The Saxophone Song and The Man With the Child in His Eyes were recorded 2 years earlier when she was 15!

Incredibly influential and, apart from the follow up Lionheart, never bettered. This is Kate at her best.
on 2 May 2002
I fell completely in love with lovely Kate when I picked up this album in 1981, when I was 15. I mean, seriously. Such utter beauty, such strangeness and such huge, huge talent. Softly intense ballads, arty rock-songs, the weirdness of love on the moors - all with at voice to be hypnotised by. If I didn't just gaze into the deep brown eyes of what I learned is the US edition of the cover. I played it until the vinyl was worn out, and I bought it again. As of now, Kate is commonly known as one of the most innovative and eccentric artists in the world, very much due to her success with The Hounds of Love. Some of us have known of her genious and sensuality for better than twenty years. Musically, I rate The Dreaming a little bit higher. But there is something to this album. Surley it ain't just memories of puppy love and fascination that makes me go all soft and mushy when I put on the CD?
We have all of Kate Bush's later CDs but I never got around to replacing my fave original LP album of 'The Kick inside' which I bought as a young student when it was first released in February 1978 (largely on the back of the superb track 'Wuthering Heights' and TV top of the pops video performances of that single at the time). Being an LP record it meant I tended to listen to and prefer the first side (Side A: tracks 1 to 6) because that had the classic single and 'The Man with the Child in His Eyes', her second single from the album (I also loved the whales singing at the beginning). Kate Bush reminds me of Lene Lovich (Stateless 1977) not so much for a similar sound, but more for doing their own slightly oddball musical thing, and doing it brilliantly. If you are used to an album it's very difficult moving to a greatest hits compilation as you always expect the strains of the next track to follow on from the one you have just heard. There's no tracks here I don't like, and the only reason I withheld buying this CD was that it appeared that the iconic cover of the original album with Kate & her Kite was missing, according to the original Amazon listing photo. Still when it arrived, Kate was still flying high with her Kite on the CD cover, and it's got the the original 1978 album graphics (albeit not as satisfying to hold as the far larger 12" original album cover) - so I'm really happy, and 5*. Big Kate LP has now gone to the attic and Little Kate CD has been ripped to PC iTunes in top quality Apple Lossless (ALAC).

This CD album is exactly as the original release, there's no bonus tracks. The cover insert is a small 5 page booklet that has all the lyrics from the songs, although the small print is difficult to read and extracting the booklet from the CD case front flap isn't easy either. Our 'The Kick Inside' CD arrived direct from Amazon for £7.99, which we thought was good value.
review image review image review image review image
on 11 January 2016
Kate's debut album delivers a delicious array of styles and, for me, peaks towards the middle of proceedings with the lovely 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes', the stunning debut single 'Wuthering Heights', the pacey 'James And The Cold Gun' and the gorgeous 'Feel It' as well as the catchy 'Them Heavy People'. Sublime vocal gymnastics and superb piano playing combine to demonstrate that Bush would go on to have a lengthy (and highly varied) music career - this 1978 release should form an important plank in your record collection.
on 18 February 2007
I just wanted to add my bit about this album. I bought it when it was first released (think I was 14 ?) It remains firmly at the No 1 position for my all time fave albums of all time and my 11 year old daughter has now, to my utmost joy, found the beauty in it for herself (sits alongside the likes of Sugarbabes and the like...!!)

Quite simply a must for every discerning music fan. Play it loud on a decent system and put a 'do not disturb' sign on the door..... bliss