Customer reviews

Bach : St Matthew Passion
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 April 2017
I bought this having read a brilliant book East West Street. It describes a lawyer, Lauterpacht, who escaped before the war from his home in Lvov (then Poland, now Ukraine) and listened to the Passion while working in Cambridge on the offence of Crimes against Humanity which he helped bring forward at the Nuremberg trials. Likewise, one of the Nuremberg defendants, Hans Frank, (hanged) listened to the Passion while working as Gauleiter of Poland, orchestrating the deaths of thousands, if not millions, including, unbeknownst to Lauterpacht at the time, most of his family. And, in all probability, my grandfather’s who lived nearby.
Curiosity led me to spend three hours of Good Friday listening through my excellent headphones, following it word by word. A quite beautiful experience.
Gardiner's version is the only one I have heard - having studied reviews of most others - so I can't say how I would feel about say Klemperer's reportedly slower pace. But I found this pace comfortable, and the singing (soloists and choruses) and orchestra quite sublime.
on 19 April 2016
Owning a few other recordings of St Matthew Passion, my main reason for buying this one, is the singing of Anthony Rolfe Johnson as Evangelist. How brilliant he was! Each time I hear a recording with him singing, I cannot but conclude that he was, if not the outstanding tenor of the twentieth century, then at least in the top three. He shows up very well in the beautiful interpretation of the music by sir John Eliot Gardiner. It is one of the most beautiful interpretations of Bach's music that I know, and the singing of Rolfe Johnson makes it my favourite.
on 15 January 2016
Do note that this bargain offer comes with no booklet, no libretto (is that the right word for an oratorio?), and no detail whatsoever. The three CDs are numbered 5,6 and 7, so they are extracted from either a Bach collection, or a Deutsche Grammophon collection. But still a bargain, and a beautiful recording.
on 11 June 2017
Great performance of this fine music using appropriate instruments and singing styles
on 26 April 2017
oh1 the music; the music .and the service was great too.
on 16 June 2017
Wonderful classical music, very moving and emotional.
on 16 May 2017
Excellent!
on 30 July 2017
Good service. Recommended
on 20 April 2017
A truly gorgeous, spiritual piece.
on 22 December 2011
John Eliot Gardiner may have taken the first movement a little fast, but that is a small niggle compared with what I consider to be a superb performance throughout. I love the clarity and precision of the Montiverdi Choir and the English Baroque Soloists - I have several recordings of theirs and have never been disappointed. I found the whole performance deeply moving and it brings back many happy memories of singing this work over the years with a local choir. I agree with "A Customer" who said "Why wait to hear this music played in Heaven?" Sublime.