on 21 September 2002
I first read this book in about 1981 and I've loved it ever since. Forget the terrible tv series which had very little to do with the actual work, this book is a great read - FULL of spooky, misty, atmosphere and marvellous characters like the terrifying Miss Hardbroom... Well worth reading, especially for any child who missed the tv series...(btw, the best adaptation was the 1980s film with Fairuza Baulk, a fab Halloween film :0)
on 17 September 2003
Having never read this series as a child, I was recommened it for my childern. I really enjoyed Mildred Hubbles poor displays of witchcraft and how she won through after several disasters. You could see it as a forerunner of Harry Potter. A wonderful book fof a young reader as the story progresses quickly and is easy to follow. I will read another.
VINE VOICEon 20 February 2005
I really enjoyed the worst witch books when I was a child and I am amazed to find out now it was originally published three years before I was born.
The story is still enjoyable and the drawings throughout the book are wonderful and really add to the text. Of course a similarity if always going to be drawn to this and Harry Potter (broomstick and potions classes) but at just over 100 pages and with larger print it is aimed at a younger audience than the Harry Potter books but should be enjoyable to most readers, even older ones!
on 26 February 2010
The Worst Witch is writen by Jill Murphy she is not that famous it is my favourite Worst Witch book.

A girl called Mildred can't walk from one end off the coridor to the other with out getting told of.She lives in Miss Cacles Acadamy,she has a best freind called Maud and she can't even ride a broomstick because her cat Tabby can't stay on her broomstick.

I liked the bit when Mildred turned the group of witches into snails because first she got the spell wrong and she turned them into dogs.

I recomend this book to children between year 2 and year 4.I would give this book 10 out of 10 because I love this book very much.
on 25 June 2000
I thought this book was very funny. Mildred Hubble gets everything wrong and she threatens to turn her enemy in to a frog. But like all her other spells, she gets it wrong - with funny results! I am 7 years old and am looking forward to reading the next book about the worst witch.
on 19 November 2011
I read this when my own children were small and also hearing free choice readers in a year 2 / 3 class as a volunteer later. It was an immensely popular choice with the children (and with me!)- we all thought it was hilarious. There aren't very many really good books that fit this stage of reading, when picture books have been left behind and full length stories are still too much of a struggle. Of those there are, a lot are simply not well enough written or too 'American' in language style, and many are too boring. Mildred's antics in 'The Worst Witch' and its successors are far from this; they keep the children's interest from page 1 and the book is neither too long nor to short for children who are just bridging that gap before full reading fluency develops. You can't do much better for six to eight year olds.
The Worst Witch (Young Puffin Story Books)
on 4 July 2004
'The Worst Witch' series was a favourite of mine as a child - a sort of proto-Harry Potter for kids in the early 80's, albeit aimed at a slightly younger age group. As a fan of the Potter books, I was curious to know whether the HP phenomenon had led to a resurgence of interest in the adventures of Mildred and co. I was so certain that the books would be out of print by now, so to rediscover them all over again was a joy. After re-reading the Worst Witch, I was pleased to see that it has stood the test of time. Recommended for younger readers of the Harry Potter series and children of all ages (including 30-somethings!)
on 20 January 2016
The Worst Witch is a classic bok about a witch called Mildred who is very clumsy. Her best friend, Maud, always sticks with Mildred, even in class, when no one wants to sit with her because she always makes a lot of mistakes for she's really bad.Her form teacher,Miss Hardbroom, is strict and nasty.She's horible to Mildred.

She's thin and bony, with her long, fair her tied into a tight knot.She has a bony face and nobody likes her.

I won't write any more about the book as I don't want to ruin it for anyone who reads this nook reveiw. I recomend this book to anybody aged 6-10. It's now my favourite book as it's so interesting and unpredictable.
on 2 December 2011
This book proberbly seems old fashioned to todays children with pointy hats,broomsticks and black cats but i think it's traditional way of seeing witches.Todays'witches are always portrayed as beutiful and slim like in Secret Circle or Vampire Diaries and there's no fun in the stories just bloodshed aand sex.What i like about The Worst Witch is that it funny and can give children an innocent read while giving their immaginations a work out.I bought it for my 8 yr old niece who couldn't put it down once she read that" Mildred Hubble was one of those people who always seemed to be in trouble.She didn't mean exactly to break rules and annoy the teachers but things just seemed to happen whenever she was around".When she finished it she was full of questions about real witches,who were they?,where did they live?I think children grow up to quickly these days with tv and video games and i think if they're given a book like this every now and then it could keep their brains working while giving them a sense of adventure.
on 16 March 2008
Jill Murphy wrote this book at the age of 18 and five publishers (adults of course) rejected it saying it was boring. So, she put it away for six whole years! Now children love it and it is very popular, so, she was right and they were wrong! This is now called a modern classic and I love her books about the worst witch - Mildred Hubble! Jill Murphy did not only write it but she illustrated it as well! She started making books, writing stories and doing drawings to match, at the age of six, (she did actually staple it)! Here is a bit about the story: Mildred Hubble is a new pupil at Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches and she was not getting on very well - especially because she had Ethel, the teacher's pet, miss perfect and little miss goody-two-shoes as her worst enemy. Will the help of her best friend, Maud, and her tabby cat, not a sleek black cat like all the rest but a meek little tabby kitten, lend a hand to her so she can do better at school? I would rate this book 9.5/ 10 and would recommend it to anyone in the mood for some magic and humour!