on 21 September 2002
I first read this book in about 1981 and I've loved it ever since. Forget the terrible tv series which had very little to do with the actual work, this book is a great read - FULL of spooky, misty, atmosphere and marvellous characters like the terrifying Miss Hardbroom... Well worth reading, especially for any child who missed the tv series...(btw, the best adaptation was the 1980s film with Fairuza Baulk, a fab Halloween film :0)
on 17 September 2003
Having never read this series as a child, I was recommened it for my childern. I really enjoyed Mildred Hubbles poor displays of witchcraft and how she won through after several disasters. You could see it as a forerunner of Harry Potter. A wonderful book fof a young reader as the story progresses quickly and is easy to follow. I will read another.
on 7 April 2016
The first book in a legendary saga.

Where to start? This book changed the game when it comes to children's books; Jill Murphy has written personable characters in both child and adult form, the story isn't boring and I have to mention, again, the artwork!

Mildred is such a sweet character and to someone who was/still is tripping over her undone shoelaces, she is the perfect hero - she's not glamorous, she's not perfect, she's just a normal girl with witchy powers.

The story itself is so in-depth with threads running throughout that you don't quite find until you have read it with either an older eye or after a couple of read-throughs. It never gets boring and on my trip down memory lane I found that I couldn't put it down.

As a child the teachers are truly terrifying. As an adult however you can really empathise with them; the withering glances, the sarcasm, all things we adults can relate to (or maybe that's just me).

Wonderfully written by a very talented author. If you have the extra money it is definitely worth buying the colour 40th anniversary edition to go with your collection!
on 26 February 2010
The Worst Witch is writen by Jill Murphy she is not that famous it is my favourite Worst Witch book.

A girl called Mildred can't walk from one end off the coridor to the other with out getting told of.She lives in Miss Cacles Acadamy,she has a best freind called Maud and she can't even ride a broomstick because her cat Tabby can't stay on her broomstick.

I liked the bit when Mildred turned the group of witches into snails because first she got the spell wrong and she turned them into dogs.

I recomend this book to children between year 2 and year 4.I would give this book 10 out of 10 because I love this book very much.
on 25 June 2000
I thought this book was very funny. Mildred Hubble gets everything wrong and she threatens to turn her enemy in to a frog. But like all her other spells, she gets it wrong - with funny results! I am 7 years old and am looking forward to reading the next book about the worst witch.
VINE VOICEon 20 February 2005
I really enjoyed the worst witch books when I was a child and I am amazed to find out now it was originally published three years before I was born.
The story is still enjoyable and the drawings throughout the book are wonderful and really add to the text. Of course a similarity if always going to be drawn to this and Harry Potter (broomstick and potions classes) but at just over 100 pages and with larger print it is aimed at a younger audience than the Harry Potter books but should be enjoyable to most readers, even older ones!
on 2 December 2011
This book proberbly seems old fashioned to todays children with pointy hats,broomsticks and black cats but i think it's traditional way of seeing witches.Todays'witches are always portrayed as beutiful and slim like in Secret Circle or Vampire Diaries and there's no fun in the stories just bloodshed aand sex.What i like about The Worst Witch is that it funny and can give children an innocent read while giving their immaginations a work out.I bought it for my 8 yr old niece who couldn't put it down once she read that" Mildred Hubble was one of those people who always seemed to be in trouble.She didn't mean exactly to break rules and annoy the teachers but things just seemed to happen whenever she was around".When she finished it she was full of questions about real witches,who were they?,where did they live?I think children grow up to quickly these days with tv and video games and i think if they're given a book like this every now and then it could keep their brains working while giving them a sense of adventure.
This is a classic children’s book and this sumptuous, colour, hardback edition only makes it more special. Of course, the story features our heroine Mildred Hubble at Miss Cackle’s Academy – high up at the top of a mountain. Mildred really wants to be a great witch, but instead she is unsuccessful at her spells and is always in trouble. In many ways, this is a typical school story, just with a more unusual setting. There is Ethel, the teacher’s pet, Mildred’s friends Maud and Enid, lots of fun spells and a Halloween festival in which Midred and her classmates have to put on a broomstick display, with predictably disastrous consequences…

This version of the book is larger than usual, with full colour illustrations. The book itself is not particularly long (about 112 pages) and has short chapters and lots of fun illustrations. The first in a series, this is a beautiful gift version and is perfect for any child’s bookshelf either to read alone (depending on reading age, once children are confident with chapter books) or to share alone as a perfect Halloween read.
on 30 October 2015
We've just finished reading 'The Worst Witch' as a bedtime story for my two children (boy, 8 and girl 6) was very popular (more so with girl than boy!). I'd recommend it though. Could be read independently by a confident reader - aged 7-9 I'd think.
on 4 July 2004
'The Worst Witch' series was a favourite of mine as a child - a sort of proto-Harry Potter for kids in the early 80's, albeit aimed at a slightly younger age group. As a fan of the Potter books, I was curious to know whether the HP phenomenon had led to a resurgence of interest in the adventures of Mildred and co. I was so certain that the books would be out of print by now, so to rediscover them all over again was a joy. After re-reading the Worst Witch, I was pleased to see that it has stood the test of time. Recommended for younger readers of the Harry Potter series and children of all ages (including 30-somethings!)