on 4 June 2014
Although I don't go to the Proms, I listen to most of the concerts on BBC Radio 3. There are always a lot of interesting articles to read about the music to be performed. Well worth buying.
on 21 June 2014
A great book full of information and interest and a must have for going to, listening to on the radio and watching the TV Broadcasts.
on 26 April 2014
I have been proming since my teens and I bought the Guide as usual on the first day it came out so I can start planning my summer concerts. As usual there are some concerts I will queue for hours to see and others I will give a miss.

It remains the best guide to the proms season. The articles are informative and the concert programme set out in a clear understandable way. I always find it easier to browse the programme and plan what I want to see using the guide rather than the website.

My only dislike is the extremely cheesy adverts for various schools featured each year. As I assume those pay for the rest of the (excellent) guide I am prepared to put up with them!
on 23 May 2014
After anticipating an electronic alternative to the lucious and informative softback edition for several years, I'm disappointed by this. First, its not cheap: only the postage on the softback is saved. Second, it only runs on selected Kindle apps/devices. Third there's no wall chart or equivalent calendar of the festival for quick ref.

My main issue is with the limited navigation. Just finding your page and moving about within it on my second generation Asus 7 inch tablet takes a lot of persistance. As to using it on my S4 phone, times these problems by five.
I was so frustrated that I crumbled and bought the paper version - but not from Amazon.
Kindle need to seriously reconceive this digital edition. Also, an app in calendar format, could be fantastic for the phone.
on 6 August 2014
The usual Proms programme book. Patronising articles attempt to galvanise interest in the various things the organisers want us to celebrate. Adverts for public schools - lots of adverts for public schools - underline the privileged nature of classical music production and consumption, which indicates that the readership for the catalogue does not, in fact, need those patronising articles telling us that Debussy was a French composer or whatever. We already know. Then eventually there's the catalogue. This too is disfigured by far too much unnecessary information about performers and works. What we want is to know what's on, where, and who the performers are; and how to book tickets. That's it.
on 16 July 2014
I was a little disappointed with this years 2014 BBC PROMS Guide. Some of the print is very small (eg the information about the PROMS Plus Intro Talks). Also the use of light colours (light orange, light green) does not make for easy reading.
The number of adverts seems more than usual but that may just be the impression I got.
on 24 May 2014
Excellent summary of the concerts this season. Concerts well described. Interesting supporting articles. Good for use at home when listening on the radio or for planning concert attendance.
on 15 June 2014
I order this from Amazon every year and yes I go to the Proms too . This is not just a programme of concerts but is full from cover to cover of interesting musical information about composers, performers, conductors etc. It also tells you which concerts are going to be televised and the date to be shown. Musical happenings across the country are advertised, giving one prior notice of whats on and where. I keep my past copies as a wealth of information and musical interest.
on 29 June 2014
The perfect introduction to this year's proms. How does the BBC produce a wonderful guide like this at such a low price? It is comprehensive and covers much more than the programmes on during the summer. It has digestible information on the artists, orchestras, choirs, soloists and conductors as well as information about the music being played. Well done BBC..
on 19 August 2014
Quite excellent - as usual. However, I was mildly surprised to find very little information about :- INGRID FLITER (PIANO) playing Mozart No. 23 on Prom 15 on MOnday 28th July. I searched the book but could only read the blurb on the same page. She seems to have been somewhat ignored in biography and I wondered why

Bryn Williams, (For Ann W.).