on 6 November 2017
Vargas is an excellent writer .Her characters do have a theatrical quality about them . The image of three men living in a house with one man studying the life of Bismarck ,another studying the medieval church and finally one keeping a toad as a pet might work well on the limit of a stage might beyond that the plot is bizarre. Further the one accused of the murders seems far from being an idiot.even though his society seems to be convinced that he is one. Vargas seems to be throwing off the shackles of a theme created from her past novels of the three men called the three evangelists and as the novel develops the characters of these three men living together become remarkably sympathetic.Only a great writer such as Vargas could achieve that feat..Vargas is well served by her translator but without Vargas herself never losing sight of the aim of such a novel is to drive the plot forward and never allow the reader to become bored by the insertion of irrelevant description which mades the novel such a pleasure to read. It is both the Paris of the physical small streets but also the Paris of the mind.
on 17 November 2017
I absolutely loved this. I find it hard to write a comment to do this novel justice. I think the Three Evangelist books are my favourite out of the very many detective novels which I have read. They are a combination of erudition, pace, humour, lovely delineation of human foibles, with a dash of theatre thrown in - but all achieved in such an accomplished way that they blend together perfectly. If anyone reads this, I envy you: for being in a position to read the Evangelist novels for the very first time.
on 24 August 2017
Again Vargas has produced another "unput downable" book. The story line is excellent. The major characters are a mix of unconventionality and humour but work so well together in solving the murders. Love all her books. The Accordionist is no exception. Wonderful read.
on 5 October 2017
I have loved all the Detective series of Fred Vargas. This is a different style and I cannot get into it. A shame I was so looking forward to it.
on 14 January 2018
Not one of Vargas’ best novels....maybe it is the translation effect....
on 30 March 2018
I love Fred Vargas, and the Three Evangeslists series. I forgive any ridiculeness in the plot because of I like how they transport me to Paris and France. But this one felt a little bit flat to me. I wasn't gripped as much as usual and actually felt a little bit uninterested. Her other books have me revisiting and re-reading. Maybe I will later.
on 2 December 2017
Great plot. Great characters. Great setting and very well written. Hope for a forth in the series. Prefer it to the Adamsberg ones although they to are good .
on 30 October 2017
Another accomplished performance from this exceptional French writer. She never fails to please.
on 5 October 2017
it was a good read, good story with some good twists
on 31 August 2017
I like Fred Vargas! All her characters are weird, but charming.