Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 May 2010
I bought this book for my daughter who starts Uni this year. There were so many to chosse from so I wasn't sure which would be best. I chose this one as it was written by student and I thought she'd know what she was talking about. I read it one evening before I paseed it on. What a great book! It's full of really useful tips on what to do and what to take and is written in an informative but humourous way. It also reassures the reader that any issues they have, have almost certainly been experienced by many people before them and the key is not to panic!
My daughter groaned when I gave it to her at first, probably thinking not more stuff for me to read, but she soon devoured it and it has proved a hit! - also has a few recipes in the back................;)
Money well spent in my opinion.
on 22 September 2009
Pre-ordered this and got it sent to the university accommodation. It actually turned up earlier than expected so didn't have it before leaving home :-(. After delivering son to room & helping to settle in etc, left him to own devices to eventually find the post-room etc that took care of the packages & parcels. In a brief exchange the next day asking how the headache from the first night pub-crawl was and had he managed to cook something up, he did say, "Oh yeah, that book - not bad Dad, read a bit of it - not bad at all so far". For me that was money well spent. I hope the rest of the Freshers week leaves him time to read more...it will do him some good.. and probably some of his house-mates too !
on 4 August 2010
I have been in the process in the past year of going to university and have been looking for some guidnace on what to do and expect. I first picked up this book in school and have never put it down since! It is one of the best books that i have read, giving great ideas, tips & hints of what to expect and do when time to go to university arrives. I can safely say it is that good a book that it has been the first book i have read fully in years, it kept me intrigued every step of the way and is superbly written by an excellent author. I would recommend this to any body! (Especially young people going to uni)!
on 19 August 2015
Purchased this for my daughter who is going off to Uni - I thought she would turn her nose up......but no she said this is a fantastic book and gives a first timer some insight of what to expect. I have flicked through the parents page and found it informative.
on 31 May 2014
Well written, very funny, easy to understand and full of useful sections relating to freshers, money, food, accommodation etc from an experienced university student - you will love this book! My boyfriend couldn't put it down :))
on 29 September 2013
This is an excellent book which I would recommend. It contains everything you need to know before and after attending University. Very helpful and informative in every aspect of university life. (The Ups and downs alike). I would also recommend purchasing this book early - as it gives all kinds of info and tips which would be handy to know prior to attendance, such as items to purchase etc which will ensure you haven't missed that all important item.
on 9 December 2012
Bought for my daughter as a stocking filler Christmas present, (She's hoping to go to Uni in September 2013) not sure what she'll make of it but I've read it cover to cover and thought there was good advice in it and it definitely says what you would say to them i.e. stay safe don't sleep around etc etc but perhaps they'll pay more attention to a contemporary than their parents nagging!
on 21 August 2011
Bought this guide for my little bro who is off to Uni this Sept and gave it a sneaky read beforehand. Its pretty short and concise so is sure to hold the attention of even MY brother, and it just simply covers all the basics of things he'll probably need to know when he's come out of his drink-fuelled binge of Fresher's week. Its a really good guide to have sitting on your shelf, that you can reference if you've got questions, especially about the stuff that you wouldn't even think to ask about pre-Uni, like a simple guide to washing, how to go food shopping, and even health tips and advice. I reckon that he'll definitely find it useful (especially as dipping in and out of this book is much less effort than asking someone!) :)
VINE VOICEon 28 January 2014
I bought this when my son left to go and study in Scotland. Lucy Tobin describes how she was a student herself and all the problems she faced when she arrived at the halls of residence. Also a very helpful list of what to take; i.e passport and extension sockets. Also recipes of quick to cook dishes and advice on how to plan your study around your social life, so you still get good grades. In the book were also stories from other students who either not studies at all in their first year and failed their exams to students who told how they hated all the social events and just wanted to get on with their study subject. Very helpful indeed for first year students.
on 22 June 2013
Bought this for my niece who is going to Uni. this year and she has not put the book down since she received it.
Says she loves it as it looks at Uni. life from a students perspective and gives loads of helpful tips.