on 9 November 2013
Bought this for my Dad who's in his 80s and it fits the bill perfectly. He's been using his iPad for a while, and managed to upgrade it to iOS 7 without my help! However, his generation does like a physical reference manual which is clear without being patronising, and which uses analogies such as 'typewriters' which increase the clarity in a context that can be understood from his experience. As Dad can now look stuff up when stuck rather than wait until I am next visiting or on the telephone he can make quicker progress now. Recommended.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2013
Very easy to follow and does not take things fro granted. Simple terminology , well presented with clear graphics. Excellent value for money. It has saved me lots of frustration when trying to discover how to use my ipad especially as I from the 'old school' and feel lost without some kind of manual. I would strongly recommend this to anyone who knows almost nothing about iPads and is worried that they may not be able to 'use'one. Still have lots to explore and try out but you can dip into the appropriate section of the book to give self contained explanations of what you want to do and how to do it.
on 5 September 2017
ok
on 24 March 2017
never used pen before. use it all the time!
on 15 June 2017
pleased with my purchase
on 27 January 2015
Great help for using the iPad
on 14 June 2015
excellent
on 24 May 2014
useful
on 6 April 2014
I bought my IOS7 ipad a month before the IOS7 edition of this guide was out, so read an IOS6 version of this guide "for Parents" in the interim. When my "for Seniors" guide arrived, I was disappointed to find that much of it was similar. I had expected basic content to cater for seniors not necessarily being au fait with iphones etc, just a basic computer at the most, and it doesn't.

For instance, it is very easy to highlight text inadvertently and be offered the option of copying it, but actually finding in the book how one might do this intentionally is another matter. There is a similar paucity of useful information in the section on the camera, with no information on:
- how to zoom when taking a picture (spread two fingers as in zooming on the ipad screen for any other application, which then brings up a zoom bar at the bottom -- the zoom is digital only, not optical, so loses resolution, producing a similar effect to cropping unzoomed picture)
- how to review a photo as soon as taken (a thumbnail appears bottom right once photo taken; tap on this to enlarge)

whilst it was inaccurate on selection of camera mode (swipe video/photo/square till setting of choice opposite yellow dot, no tapping needed or effective).

It did make me wonder if I should have bought the rival product instead.
on 25 November 2013
My dad recently splashed out and got himself an Ipad Air, so I persuaded him to also get a book that would tell him how to use the thing, hence this purchase!

Have to say I am quite impressed with this book. It has a ton of nice pictures and the instructions are very clear. It doesa a good job of covering all of the basic functions of the Ipad, and gives a good guiding hand to show you how to use it effectively.

I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone buying the kindle version of this though. I can't see how the images and step by step instructions would translate well to that format. But as a paperback book it works great.

Covers IOS7 well. Recommended.