Six of Crows: Book 1
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 April 2017
Okay, okay, I admit it. I was wrong. This is one heck of a fun book.

I was so unengaged when I first tried to read Six of Crows back in March. I couldn't put my finger on it - it just wasn't clicking for me, and I stopped at around 25%. But four months down the line and it was like I was reading it with completely new story.

There's something about the concept that makes this book so consuming. A world of magic and underlying disorder, six criminals and a hiest. It's hard not to get sucked in.

I adore stories with an ensamble of characters and the fact that they are a band of misfits makes it all the better. We've got:
- Kaz, a young criminal mastermind who runs the streets
- Inej, a brilliant spy who can vanish in the blink of an eye
- Nina, a confident Grisha with the power to kill with a look
- Matthias, a witch hunter who is presumed dead
- Jesper, a gambling gunslinger who loves the rush of a fight
- and Wylan, a runaway rich kid with a gift for mechanics

Together they are the Crow Club, and they take on an suicide mission for wealth beyond their wildest dreams. How awesome is that?!

The characters are awesome, but there are a lot of them. Each of them have their own backstory which I think took a lot of time out of the book from the present day plot, and away from there being any solid protagonist. I would have preferred a fully omniscient 3rd person narrator rather than abrupt changes in 3rd person perspectives, which would've made reading more like shifting from one character's mind to another, which would've made connecting the puzzle pieces of the characters and their motives a lot more fun than simply being told.

Despite Six of Crows being a spin off of The Grisha series, reading them isn't necessary to fully enjoy this book. The worldbuilding and development had all the flare of a standalone story, and it was so good to see it from the eyes of such a diverse range of characters. It really enabled the world to expand to beyond a couple of locations, which makes it unique to other fantasy novels which tend to focus only on one.

Six of Crows is a YA story that is fresh and new from anything I've read before - it's no wonder it's taken the blogosphere by storm. Take note, other writers - this is how you grab your readers.

Diversity Note: POC and queer protagonists

Warnings: blood, torture, violence
on 6 February 2018
Despite his youth, Kaz has quickly become a legend to his gang, and a monster to his enemies. Now he is about to attempt a heist that will go down in history...

I really enjoyed this book. I know, I'm horribly behind the masses with this story.

I bought it as a Christmas present to myself (as you do), and I intended to only read it after I finished working on a project. It's been sitting there, staring at me, and needless to say the project has been neglected and Six of Crows has been read.

This story follows a group of six late-teens in a fantasy world. They each have their own skills that make them invaluable to the heist, but to say their personalities clash would be an understatement.

Their leader is Kaz, a ruthless young man who is the brains of the operation.

When a dangerous (but ridiculously well-paid) job comes along, Kaz gathers his elite team from the gutters of the city, and even from behind bars.

This was a lot of fun, as you follow the plans, hidden plans, double-crossing and triple-crossing of the players in this book.

It felt like Ocean's Eleven in a fantasy setting, as Kaz and co head north to a land of ice, where magic is forbidden.

The only downside for me, was the very obvious change of tone, when one of the main character's background was filled in.

I have to say, I was rolling my eyes at the info-dumps; but reading it quickly all the same, because I wanted to find out more about said characters.

I would definitely recommend this book. Now I just have to finish my project before I allow myself to get Crooked Kingdom... Or maybe I could accidentally get it this weekend...
on 17 April 2018
‘You’re from the suburbs, aren’t you Geels? Came to the city to try your luck?’’ He smoothed his lapel with one gloved hand. ‘’Well, I’m the kind of bastard they only manufacture in the Barrel’’

O M G I loved this so much! Six of Crows has been on my list for a long time and I actually bought it months ago in July but I've only just got round to reading it. I loved the two other books I'd read by Leigh which were The Language of Thorns and Wonderwoman: Warbringer so I was pretty certain I was going to like this duology, but I'm still pretty surprised at how much I liked it, seriously it was dream to read.
Kaz is a thief, a liar, a toerag and a crook. He works out of the Barrel, a dark and dingy criminal underworld in the city of Ketterdam. He is leader of the Dregs, a notorious gang, and nobody could really tell you where he comes from.

Then there's Inej, The Wraith, Kaz's stealer of secrets, an ex acrobat with excellent climbing skills, all the better to sneak through your windows and scale your walls.

Nina is Grisha, part of the army until she was kidnapped and ended up in Ketterdam where she works for Kaz listening for information in one of the brothels.

Jesper is a member of the dregs with his own secrets to keep and his mystery remains until much further in the book so no spoilers here!

With the offer of thirty million Kruge to sway them, the gang along with two others, set off on a perilous adventure. This is a page turner without a doubt, so fast paced it zooms Past you before you can keep hold of the threads.
I can't decide which character I liked the most but if I had to choose it would undoubtedly be Kaz, Bardugo sure knows how to write a sexy character. I adored the relationship between the dysfunctional band of criminals, Grisha and crooks and I can't wait for more!!! I have 2 ARCs to read so I need to read them first, but straight after that I'm going to be getting my teeth into Crooked Kingdom it's certainly brightened up my plans for the weekend!

on 19 July 2018
I can't remember the last time I read a book and fell so head-over-heels in love with an entire group of characters.

People have been recommending Six of Crows to me for a long time now. It's a book I've always meant to get to - who doesn't love a heist story? - but this year I finally sat back, opened it up and was sucked into the seedy underbelly of Leigh Bardugo's fantasy world.

As someone who hasn't read Bardugo's Grisha Trilogy this world was entirely new to me, and I loved it. 2018 feels like the year in which I'm rediscovering my first love, fantasy, after several years of being intimidated by it for a reason I still can't quite put my finger on, and Ketterdam has to be one of my favourite fantastical places now purely because Bardugo brings it to life so vividly.

While Ravka, which we hear of but don't go to in this book, seems to be a Russian-inspired country, there's no doubt in my mind that Ketterdam is a fantastical version of Amsterdam, with its waterways, merchant-run economy, and the entire districts whose cogs are kept whirring by a constant stream of gambling and prostitution. The Barrel, not at all dissimilar from Amsterdam's Red Light District, is ruled by gangs, and one gangster in particular has Ketterdam in his pocket.

Kaz Brekker is one of the most compelling protagonists I have come across in a fantasy novel in a long time. From the blurb I thought he would be very different to the kind of boy he is, but I love how Bardugo has imagined him; she straddles the line between 'criminal prodigy' and 'only a 17 year old' beautifully, creating a character who's had to grow up far too fast and has the dirt of the worst and best of humanity wedged under his fingernails. He's like that first sip of a bitter coffee in human form. It was also so refreshing to read about a protagonist who needs the assistance of a cane to walk and I'd like more protagonists like this please!

What makes Six of Crows really sing is its characters. The setting is brilliant and the plot is wonderful, but the characters are what make this book - dare I say it - perfect. Alongside Kaz we have his right-hand woman Inej Ghafa, who was stolen from her home and her family as a child and sold into human trafficking before she began working for the Dregs. Known as the Wraith, she's an expert at going undetected and is yet another example of Bardugo's wonderfully complex characters. Inej's faith is important to her and her morality is something she struggles with when she has essentially become Kaz's personal assassin, but how else is she supposed to survive in a land that sees her as a commodity that can be sold for profit?

I loved Bardugo's exploration of religion through Inej and through Matthias, another protagonist from Fjerda, the country next to Ravka, who has essentially been raised in a cult of witch hunters whose own religion teaches that Grisha aren't human. Like all six of the protagonists in Six of Crows, Matthias has found himself washed up in Ketterdam by accident, beginning the novel in prison thanks to a Grisha, Nina, who serves as another protagonist. I'll be saying this for all of them, but I loved Nina, too. A child soldier from Ravka, she was forced to work with Matthias, a boy trained to kill her, after the ship they were on sank and they found their way to Ketterdam. Nina is bubbly and vivacious and loves food - who doesn't? - and I particularly loved her friendship with Inej. There's no competition between them, just the utmost affection and respect and when I say I want more female friendships this is what I mean.

Then we have Jesper Fahey, another member of the Dregs who loves gambling and guns a little too much, but another character who is complex and, though flawed, incredibly loyal to Kaz. I adored his sense of humour and his shameless bisexuality. Finally there's Wylan, a boy with a knack for explosives and keeping secrets. He's the kind of character that grows on you as the story progresses, and once you get to know him you can't help but love him.

Six of Crows works because each of its protagonists are fleshed out and such fun to follow separately, but they also have brilliant chemistry as a group, too, which is for the best considering they have to rely on each other to pull off a heist that's believed to be impossible. Kaz makes a deal with one of Ketterdam's merchants to break into the Fjerdan Ice Court - a place that has never been breached - and smuggle out a prisoner associated with a drug that, when used on Grisha, turns them into unstoppable weapons who crave the drug more and more and eventually die as nothing more than husks of their previous selves.

Kaz doesn't take on this mission out of the goodness of his heart to liberate the Grisha who are being mistreated or to bring order back to the world of the merchants, he takes on the mission because each of them will be rewarded with an inordinate amount of money that will pay off their individual debts and set them up comfortably for life. What ensues is a twisty, turny heist story that keeps you guessing at every turn and makes you genuinely worry for the characters' safety. I love that Bardugo doesn't make this story safe. Kaz has a plan and his plan has a plan, but when things go wrong - and they really do - these kids are forced to improvise if they're going to live to claim their reward.

It's been a few months now since I finished this book and I'm still thinking about it. The plotting and character development is exquisite. I fell for this book and these characters and this world so hard, and it's safe to say that this duology is now one of my all-time favourite series and this book has definitely earned a spot on my favourite books of all-time list. It was such fun to read, and it reignited not only my love for fantasy but also my love for YA done well. I escaped into a different world where all the threats and the tears and the love and the smiles felt real, and I will be gushing about it for a long time. And I'm not sorry.
|0Comment|Report abuse
Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist. Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.

I've been a fan of Leigh Bardugo since Shadow and Bone, which I bought by accident thinking it was somehow related to Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone. A happy mistake as I quickly fell in love with the Grisha trilogy. So when I heard she was writing another book, a brand new story set in the same universe, I placed my pre-order and began the seemingly endless wait before the book finally thudded onto my doorstep. And thud it did. If I'd had the hardback version I'd probably be able to kill someone with it and perhaps it's a testament to the wonderful writing style and story that kept me hooked til the bitter end that I didn't once experience the temptation to skip pages.

The plot is pure Ocean's Eleven, with the gang assembled to extract a prisoner from the impenetrable Ice Court to stop the escape of the formula for jurda parem, a devastating drug which makes grisha all-powerful, unstoppable monsters before finally killing them. Are they doing it to preserve the fragile "peace" in the realm? To protect their loved ones? For a greater good? Nope, they're doing it for a huge pile of cash.

The strength of the book lies not in the story, but the rich world Leigh Bardugo has created and the fantastic characters that inhabit it, the titular six "crows" in particular. From the slums of The Barrel, the dregs of the city where the story begins, which is written so well you'd swear the author had been there, the sense of corruption, hopelessness and prevailing dread ratcheting up the tension before the heist has even begun, to the bowels of the Ice Court fortress, this is a whole new world in the grisha-verse. It's a world a million miles away, but one so believably real you'll feel like you've been to another place when you stop reading. Leader and sort of protagonist Kaz is pretty insufferable, an at times unbearably smug seventeen year old, whose plans always come to fruition, at times stretching incredulity to breaking point. Think The Joker's bank heist at the start of The Dark Knight and times by ten. Then add a few curve balls, and Kaz still comes out like he expected the whole thing down to the tiniest detail. Secondary protagonist, skilled and deadly spy Inej, aka The Wraith, is my favourite character. A former slave now working her way slowly towards freedom in the gang, her burgeoning relationship with Kaz is one of the hearts of the novel. Flawed, human and very real, Inej kicks a whole lot of ass in the book. Elsewhere, loud, brassy Heartrender grisha Nina and witch hunter Mathias deal with their own tangled past, Ex lovers, polar opposites, hunter and prey, this pair have scorching chemistry. Rounding out the six are happy go lucky sharpshooter (and my lastest book crush) Jesper and demo expert/insurance policy/hostage Wylan. The chapter POVs dance between five of the six (Wylan gets shafted here!) crows, giving the whole story from all angles, and it's a credit to the author that you never feel like she's repeating herself or going over the same ground from different viewpoints.

If you're hoping for anything more than vague, passing references to the grisha trilogy here, you'll be disappointed, but Six of Crows stands on its own as a twisty, turny heist story with five (I still don't feel Wylan as much more than window dressing) brilliant characters, each perfectly capable of being a protagonist in their own right. If you're waiting to read Shadow and Bone etc before starting this one, you can read it quite happily without spoilers. I only spotted one slight spoiler and it's so mild I almost missed it.

There's been a lot of talk in the blogsphere lately about diversity, or rather the lack of it, in YA, so it's nice to see the crows a mix of ethnicities and, it's hinted, sexualities. It's not earth shattering, but it's a step in the right direction at least.

My only slight gripe came in the final chapters of the book. I was yelling "oh come on!" for two reasons. One was that the book ends on one hell of a hook that will now leave me dangling until next year, but the other was story-related frustration. I'd rattled through the book at breakneck speed, loving every page until the very end where my beloved Inej, who's been nothing short of a total badass the entire way through, veers dangerously close to damsel in distress territory, with Kaz even proclaiming he's going to get his money, and get his girl. It's a minor niggle in the grand scheme of an amazing book, just a shame it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth at the very end.

The perfect read if you want an engrossing, edge of your seat read with a little magic, more than a little mystery and the best group of characters you'll find in a YA book this year, Six of Crows is an absolute must read. Now begins the interminable wait for the sequel...

Review originally posted at - http://www.mikaylasbookshelf.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/six-of-crows-review.html
on 24 July 2017
This is cracking fantasy. Forget the YA bit. I'm increasingly thinking that 'YA' becomes a burdensome marketing tool for writers. Lots of fantasy has young protagonists but actually the only parts of this book that threw me a little out of the story were when she referred to her charters as ' a group of kids'. These are not kids. They may be technically young but each is very competent, mature and carries the scars and experiences of much older people. It's much more in line with Scott Lynch than with much YA literature.
on 10 October 2015
I really enjoyed LBs Grisha trilogy, so I expected to enjoy this as much. But surprisingly, it's ten times better! Really, really great.

Note, you don't need to have read Seige & Storm etc to be at home here, as this is not a sequel. grisha feature, but their powers are explained where needed, so no background is needed. these are new characters and a new plot... And I loved it.

And Much as I appreciate the 'plain/undervalued-yet-exceptionally-gifted heroine torn between two conflicting loves' template which has become a staple of YA and fantasy, it's a real relief to break away from it. Here we have a really rather nasty but entirely engaging anti-hero and his 5 motley companions, dredged from the slums of Kerch (off the coast of Ravka, for those who care) attempting a prison break.

The action is fast, plot twists are exciting and the dialogue is witty. But as with all books, it's the characters that drive it - and in this case all 6 have intriguing skills, failings and back stories that surprise and play with you.

Best of all, it's clearly the start of a new trilogy, so two more to come.Can't wait to see the film
on 21 January 2016
This is an excellent heist-style adventure. I knew we were off to a good start when I saw the story was told in third-person, multiple point-of-view, which is my preferred style of writing and reading. The author handles the switching POV brilliantly to keep the reader in the dark and hold back secrets and surprises.

I wasn’t truly gripped until about page 200. However, that’s not surprising given the amount of set up required, particularly using 5 different character viewpoints, and once this is done the book becomes a real page-tuner. The interweaving stories build an impressively complex plot and the Ocean’s 11 comparisons are justified. In the acknowledgements, Bardugo mentions having to use a whiteboard when writing – I can just imagine the huge diagrams that were necessary to keep all the threads of the story straight.

All the characters are well-rounded and leap off the page. And I would like to give a special mention to Kaz. I find I have a soft spot for characters who have apparently become hardened to the point of becoming inhuman but then start to thaw and reveal their soft spots. Ah, Kaz :-)

Six of Crows is set in the world of the Grisha. Do you need to read the Grisha trilogy or any of the Grisha books first? I don’t think so. However, having read them did mean I wasn’t confused by any of the terminology surrounding the Grisha which does form an important part of the plot. This left me free to concentrate on remembering all the new stuff, including who’s who in a large cast.

So why have I deprived it of half a star? Mostly because I felt it was overlong, particularly for a first installment in a series. Also because it was just missing something I can’t put my finger on and I’m incredibly picky about what I give 5 stars.

Overall: a fun, gripping story conveyed in Bardugo’s wonderfully clear and unobtrusive prose. I look forward immensely to the continued adventures of Kaz and his crew.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 November 2015
I've been a fan of Leigh Bardugo's ever since I discovered her Grisha trilogy so of course I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy of Six of Crows. I had high expectations going in but I was blown away by how amazing this book was. It's set in the same world as the previous books but if you're new to the author you can definitely start here. Fans will recognise a few nods to the other series but in general this is completely separate and it's actually a very different kind of story to anything we've had from Leigh Bardugo before.

Six of Crows is a heist story, one in which six characters have come together to attempt the impossible. Not only do they have to break into an impenetrable fortress but they also have to release a hostage and get him safely back out again. If they can pull off the challenge they'll earn more money than they could get in a lifetime of honest work but it will mean putting their lives at risk and trusting the rest of the team to each play their own vital role. Kaz may be the leader but he can't do this alone and only Inej, Nina, Jesper, Matthias and Wylan have the unique skills needed to help him pull off the heist of a lifetime.

It's been a long time since I was quite so invested in such a diverse bunch of characters. Kaz is a great anti-hero, nothing with him is quite what it seems and he is constantly at least ten steps ahead of everyone else. His planning skills are second to none and I loved the way he was constantly pulling off the unexpected even though the number of secrets he was keeping was incredibly frustrating for the rest of the team. Nina and Matthias have a very complicated history and it makes things more than a little awkward between them, they're more likely to kill each other before the mission is complete than to actually have each other's backs but I really enjoyed the way we got to learn about their pasts through various flashbacks. They have both done things they're not proud of and they have good reasons not to trust each other but they're going to have to find a way to work together, at least temporarily, if they want to achieve their goals. Jesper added a lot of humour to the group, he's probably the least conflicted character in the bunch but he's loyal and is trusted by everyone. Wylan is a bit of an unknown quantity, as the newest member of the group and someone that none of them have ever worked with before he has to prove his loyalty before he can gain their trust.

As much as I loved all of the characters it was Inej who quickly became my favourite - she's just absolutely brilliant and I couldn't get enough of her. Nicknamed The Wraith, Inej is an expert at sneaking around, her acrobatic skills mean she can get anywhere and you'll never hear her coming. If Kaz needs a silent assassin Inej is the one he sends but she's best at spying and an expert at gathering the secrets of his enemies. Inej puts all other badass women to shame and I don't think there is anything she can't achieve but she's also one of the sweetest characters who has been through some horrific things and I desperately want to see her dreams come true.

I was a little worried at first that it might be hard to keep track of who everyone is, books with this many different points of view can get incredibly complicated, but Leigh Bardugo has given them all such unique voices and made all six of them so three dimensional that I had no problems at all keeping things straight. The same definitely can't be said of Kaz's plans for the heist because that was twist, after twist, after twist and I swear I was on the edge of my seat for the entire second half of the book. You never had a clue what would be thrown at the characters next and I was genuinely concerned that not everyone was going to survive the mission. The first half was a little slower as it introduced each of the characters and laid all the groundwork for what was to follow but I was never bored and I loved every minute of it.

Speaking as a Leigh Bardugo fan girl I would definitely say that this is her best book yet, I love the Grisha trilogy but this is on a whole new level and epic doesn't even begin to describe Six of Crows. It was marketed as Oceans Eleven meets Game of Thrones and it lives up to the hype, it's fast paced, witty, clever and the characters are absolutely fantastic. The first instalment of a duology Six of Crows doesn't answer every question but it doesn't end on a cliffhanger and you will find out if they can pull of their heist or not. The sequel, Crooked Kingdom, is now at the top of my wish list for 2016 and I can't wait to spend more time with these characters!
on 1 August 2016
Yet again I’m stuck not knowing how to start this review. I am beyond disgusted with myself that I didn’t read this mind-blowing book sooner. Megan, my partner in crime here has been bugging me to read Six of Crows since the day it came out. Six criminals taking on the most difficult heist ever know... sounds like something right up my alley! And guess what.... I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK!

Leigh's writing is intriguing and very different to most books I have read before and the characters are oh so amazing! Kaz is so interesting and so closed off, there is so much you don't know about him and so much you want to learn. The other five crows are the same, I love the fact there are so many different points of view in this book, in some books I find it so difficult going from one point of view to another but Leigh wrote her characters so well that this was never an issue, each character was written so differently that it was like reading a different book with each view change! I listened to Six of Crows on Audible.com as my first ever Audio book and it was such an amazing experience. The narrators were MAGNIFICENT!

Throughout the book you get a small amount of back story on each character, but never enough to truly understand the character’s actions and I love that! Leigh leaves so much to the reader’s imagination that I felt so incredibly immersed in the world. I loved learning about their pasts and getting a small insight into why they are like they are now.

I am in a way so glad I left it so long to read Six of Crows because if I had to wait a full year for Crooked Kingdom I’d literally die, like full on implode.

Do I have time to talk about how amazing the ships are in this book… Oh my! Kaz and Inej, Nina and Matthias, and JESPER AND WYLAN. Yes I ship Jesper and Wylan… Like SOOOOO MUCH! The ships pop in out of nowhere. With Nina and Matthias I had an inkling I was going to want them together from the get go but the other two… it just happened and my heart hurts! Kaz is such a reserved character but when Inej gets hurt and taken his emotions are so raw and I just wanted to curl him up in a blanket and feed him ice cream until he felt better.

So the actual plot. So Six of Crows is set in the Gisha world where there are these beings known as Grisha who have special powers, in some of the countires these Grisha are hunted and killed. The book begins and there has been a drug (Jurda Parem) developed which enhances their abilities but it is so addictive that they Grisha who are subjected to it die. Kaz is asked to break into the biggest stronghold to break out the scientist who made Jurda Parem and have him help them rid the world of it. Kaz puts together a group of notorious criminals to complete this almost impossible heist.

“A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.
Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction – if they don’t kill each other first.” ~ Leigh Bardugo

What could go wrong? Oh so so much.

As I was reading the first chapter I felt it was a bit out of place as the relevance of it doesn’t come into play until much later. But since Leigh is such a skilled writer and spreads small pieces of information throughout the whole book that only make sense at the end (I’m sure there’s some that will only make sense when we read Crooked Kingdom) it all worked out perfectly.

It did take me away to get a hold of the plot but once Kaz was given his task I was glued and I couldn’t stop reading/ listening. The detail in Leigh’s writing really makes you feel like you’re part of the crew joining them on their mission. There are so many plot twists and parts that had me gasping and holding my breath! I loved every second!

Favourite Quotes:

‘We are all someone's monster.’

‘No mourners, No Funerals’ ~ All the crows

‘The Heart is an arrow. It demands aim to land true’ ~ Inej

‘There was no part of him that wasn’t broken, that had not healed wrong, and there was no part of him that was not stronger for having been broken’ ~ Kaz (this bit made me cry so badly.)

‘She wouldn’t wish love on anyone. It was the guest you welcomed and then couldn’t be rid of’ ~ Nina

‘When everyone knows you’re a monster, you needn’t waste time doing every monstrous thing’
~Kaz

‘ “It’s not natural for women to fight.” She rolled her eyes, “It’s not natural for someone to be as stupid as he is tall, yet there you stand.” ’ ~ Matthias and Nina

‘What bound them together? Greed? Desperation? Was it just the knowledge that if one or all of them disappeared tonight, no one would come looking?’ ~ Inej

There are so many more amazing quotes but if I carried on I’d write out the whole book!
Rating: 5/5 YOU MUST GO AND READ IT NOW!