Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 November 2012
This book was recommended as part of my university course. Oceanography is quite a difficult subject to get to grips with since it is purely physics (not my best subject at school.) This is easy to read, explains all the processes in detail and has a wealth of explanatory diagrams. It won't be enough for those going on to specialise in oceanography, but for those needing a basic understanding, get this!!
on 4 March 2013
I'm not a chemist, biologist or a physicist but I am a diver. I found this book pitched at just the right level to spur me on to investigate more but not too complex which would have put me off. Diagrams and pictorial references but have been better suited to a larger format book but the pocket sized nature was useful in it's own right. Certainly works as an introduction.
on 7 October 2012
David Bowers is one of my lecturers at Bangor University and he does a fantastic job of explaining the fundamental ideas and processes in Oceanography. The diagrams and written explanations are easy to follow and this is an excellent resource for anyone studying Oceanography or simply wanting to know a little bit more about a subject which is becoming increasingly important in global media.
on 10 October 2015
I followed the option of Coastal Geomorphology and Oceanography on the recommendation of JA Taylor to second year pack this in with Biogeography Soils two years for Pedology final and Hydrology, I had to choose a discipline with Geology Accessory two years instead of Geology Geography Joint BSc so Soils went with Hydrology my selection and career path and Watson Quaternary and thus I ended up with Kidson, Bowen sedimentary and hard rock coastlines as well as Africa ports Hoyle, Western Europe USA Canada Northern Europe and Eastern European mostly historical regional geography, process and form fault and ria subsidence delta and Geology Sedimentology formation of Strata montane Tectonics Petroleum bore and cliffline with CBTS Mr Alvis Advanced Level, Portishead Severn, David J Unwin South Wales, following again Slaymaker Howe UCW, so I chose this for the shipping news and personal enjoyment retired, advising you to consider buying at a first scan today. UCW was in part a choice as it is on the beach as Philosophy of Science with Greek rippling waves proved and recent TV yacht race and engineering projects coastal defence, deflection of energy, my Pa RE Black Cat bridge and mines Scapa Hastings Goa Huskey Messina and East Italy coastal rivers, X bow ships, North Atlantic convoy reading, visiting Boston MA former marine yards and Scotland wave cut beaches and deepening of estuary carrying ebb tide and river flood spate, the balance of flows, this books covers the Oceanography that supplies the energy for our coast dynamic. It also of courses cover International, current, other nation systems, probably most apt since the Indonesia Sri Lanka tsunami and Honshu Japan volcanic Trench events. I worked with a former Merchant Marine Architect Landscape Architect, a cousin carried Mate ticket tankers, I was fished out of Weston super Mare pool by a later Navy diver, during Methodist Sunday School trip having practised a rip current undertow off the water chute. This is a book I would read as my wife's grandfather ran Clipper as second mate when sail trained in North Wales Liverpool. Inspiring is this text as their communion with the sea made them precise and quick to respond. Oceanography rolling powerful and yet peaceful. This is well illustrated as a textbook. Reading on with Falconer Southampton Cardiff and Blair Environmental Dorset offshore Australian drill I concluded with Lesuere on the Seine and Western European Cool Temperate Maritime catchments, Severn, Seine, Loire, and west coast northern sites for applied and Arts Hornfleurs surge and beach wooden ships Landscapes of the Sea, often Dutch. We live in a Pakistan Bangladesh SE Asia sea era and this maybe the text to read as Indian Ocean Pacific opens up with information, Oceanography, salt in the bloodstream. So the 6pm lectures on math' and swell as we dispersed for evening meal with Prof courageously knocking sense into us after a hard day running the Dept and travels through Hydrometeorology with Unwin have been well met, watching Master and Commander, Russell Crowe, I read all the Navy and Coastal Ice Breakers I could find when young, Waves breaking spray and cascade across wood and critical ice melt, solifluction, sand berms Grant GE Oregon. We had the best Sciences yet. Enjoy them.
on 22 April 2013
This is a book which is well written and concise. The author's explanation are simple enough for readers with no background in oceanography. Highly recommended.
on 16 August 2013
This is really just a brief, basic introduction into what is oceanography. Although it isn't as detailed as other books, it makes a good beginners book for those showing interest in the subject.
on 22 September 2014
Bought for my daughter before going for interview at Bangor Uni. Seems to have worked. She was able to tell David Thomas that she had read his book.....
on 3 February 2015
Told I'd need for my course, not really needed.
It has the basic information in really, beginner's stuff.
on 21 January 2016
A good, simple introduction to a very complicated but 'immersively' interesting subject!
on 5 February 2015
It covers the basic of oceanography and in clear easy to understand terminologies.