on 30 November 2014
A refreshing take on the classic Star Wars Trilogy resulting in hilarity and amusement for all.

The books are a eye catcher for anyone whom is browsing through my bookcase and the detail of the artwork is really something to be admired. Even the book - the dust cover looks like an old book which is a nice touch.

Overall, a very nice - if a little silly - product for anyone who appreciates Star Wars and Shakespeare.
review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 January 2015
Sometimes clever ideas don't really work out as a full book - the idea makes the first few pages entertaining but then the joke runs thin. Not so with this as the idea is so brilliantly executed. Part of what makes it so good is that it's not trying to satirise either Star Wars or Shakespeare. Rather it pays tribute to both, and for those less familiar with reading Shakespeare it's also a good little introduction to how much fun his work can be once you get used to the different language and structure.
on 21 January 2014
I love Stars Wars but was nervous about this. How I was wrong. This is well written and adapted and always gets people's attention when reading it.
VINE VOICEon 1 June 2014
T'was in times of old 'tis a tayle relate, the machination
of cursed empires and rebels whom be foe and
Princess sister of the brave soul revealed,

[Aside] Marry. yet the tayle be more with
Family lost and jedi lore; commenced bizarre at part IV.

To defeat cursed empire
Rebels engage a mighty weapon to destroy, bilt
With help from those who'se,
Sentience be unknown.

[Chorus] Verily enthralled will the reader be,
Of this tayle, in a different place in olden time,
Thou spendst well if tome be bought,

Disappointed only be the knave who'se
Humours sense dessert'th them
on 13 September 2013
I admit I got this out of curiosity. I thought it would be nice on my book shelf, but I have to admit it works. It goes to show a great story work in every format. It is written in a play format as you would expect in Shakespeare's style I have to say I loved the asides as the characters explained their thought to the audience. I looked at the old English language as fun rather than confusing. A good fun short read. I liked it.
I like books like "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and even some of the "Fifty Shades of..." parodies. But they tend to be sort of one-note efforts, even if they are entertaining, and a little bit can go a long way. I expected that same sort of reaction when I started this book, but guess what? - there's a lot more of interest going on here.

This is not just phoney baloney Shakespeare with a lot of forsooths and thees and thous. The author has devoted some real thought to how the Star Wars characters measure up to Shakespeare's characters, and has made a legitimate effort to capture the cadence, style, feel and flow of Shakespeare's, (and other Elizabethan playwrights'), dramatic approach. Darth Vader, whom I have often thought of as not just "a" but possibly "the" central character in the series has the feel and dignity and tragic presence of Richard, ("I have cast my fate upon a throw..."). C3PO and R2-D2 are worthy successors to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern or maybe even Falstaff.

Now, this isn't Shakespeare and I don't imagine there will be Ian Doescher societies, at least not based on this book, but, boy, this is an interesting and rewarding effort that actually enhances one's appreciation of the entire Star Wars arc. I can certainly see why this would be in any Star Wars fan's library, but it might also be of interest to more casual readers as well. And, not to sound too much like your hippy-dippy high school English teacher, this might be an excellent and creatively weird choice for a high schooler who is reluctant to read "great literature". That might be asking too much, but since the book isn't arch or cutesy or precious, but just straightforwardly what it is, it might be worth consideration.

So, put the "star" back in star-crossed, and consider giving this a try. A very happy little find. Please note that I found this book while browsing Amazon Kindle goodies. I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.
VINE VOICEon 29 December 2013
Such a simple concept and so well executed. I had never heard of this book when I received it as a Christmas gift but was instantly thrilled and couldn't wait to read it. It took me less than a day to get through and I'll certainly read it again soon (although I've just started the Song of Ice and Fire series so it may be a while, unless I need a break).

My only criticism is that the joke does wear off fairly quickly and while there are some great laugh out loud moments (mainly parodies of famous soliloquies by Shakespeare) the laughs do seem to diminish somewhat the further you read.

If you are a Star Wars fan (it helps to have a good memory of the film dialogue) and enjoy (or can tolerate) Shakespeare's plays/iambic pentameter then this is definitely worth a read. I have no doubt that Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi will make an appearance before too long.

Note: This didn't bother me one way or the other but for purists out there, the additional scenes from the Special Editions are included here so you get to see Han Solo talking with Jabba the Hutt and Luke with Biggs Darklighter before the Battle of Yavin. Also, for any alien dialogue (such as Jabba or Greedo), there is no translation so unless you can remember what was said in the film, you may loose track a bit.
on 1 September 2013
Funny, well made book that is both entertaining and a great addition to the Bard's alternative collections :) Brilliant as a gift for Shakespeare and Star Wars fans alike!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 14 August 2014
“Verily, a New Hope”

If you’ve ever wondered how William Shakespeare would have approached writing Star Wars, wonder no longer! Because Ian Doescher has gone back in time, discussed the whole George Lucas scenario with William, and brought back the real thing for us to read. Yes, this is Star Wars as envisaged by William Shakespeare. Let me give you an example of how this works:

Act 1
Scene 1
Aboard the rebel ship
Enter C-3PO and R2-D2

C-3PO Now is the summer of our happiness
Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!
Our ship is under siege, I know not how.
O hast thou heard? The main reactor fails!
We shall most surely be destroy’d by this.
I’ll warrant madness lies herein!
R2-D2 - Beep beep,
Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, beep, beep, whee!

And so on, you get the idea.

This is great fun; if you’ve seen the original Star Wars movie, you’ll get the whole story, as told by Shakespeare himself. “’Tis a tale told by fretful Droids, full of faithful Wookiees and fearsome Stormtroopers” … indeed. I’m looking forward to the next parts of the saga, The Empire Striketh Back, and The Jedi Doth Return.
1010 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 July 2013
I'm a huge fan of both the Bard and of Star Wars, and this couldn't be a more perfect combination. Not only is Ian Doescher clearly in love with the source material of the film, but he has such knowledge of the rhythm, vocabulary and musicality of Shakespeare's iambic pentameter. In short, it's fun, funny, brilliantly conceived and expertly executed.

Highlights:
- R2's dialogue to other characters is, as expected, entirely in beeps and noises. But this is Shakespeare, so R2 also gets an 'inner monologue', meaning he can address the audience (reader) directly in soliloquy and reveal his innermost thoughts in beautiful and hilariously insightful ways - pointing out the fact that this entire story is, really, about him and his destiny to get the Death Star Plans to Obi-Wan and the rebels.

- Luke's soliliquy after Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's death. Doescher clearly understands the universal Shakespearean themes of destiny and power, and he brings this to the fore in the way only the music ever did in the film!

- Han's 'aside' to the audience after shooting Greedo

- ok, so there's too many. Just go and read it.

And by the way, the criticism that it includes scenes from the Special Edition? That's ridiculous. Doescher is as much a fan as anyone and is well aware of the general feeling about those scenes - indeed Solo has a fantastic first line: "Now, marry, 'tis an unexpected scene..." Given the time, patience and expertise it would have taken to create this play, it's a bit harsh to criticise it for being complete! (if you don't like those scenes, don't read them?)