on 8 March 2017
For some one else but they loved it.
on 16 January 2015
I bought this as a Christmas gift and the recipient was happy with the stories but had to try 3 devices before it would play. I have no idea what type of CD's are used but they do not appear to be compatible with all players
on 6 March 2013
I purchased this to listen to at night, but found the stories were told so well, that I couldn't get off to sleep! Excellent for listening to in the car.
on 25 July 2011
What i suppose should have been clear to me (and probably would have been had I looked into it properly) is that this is a collection of short stories.
Some great little tales in here, some drab, dull little horrors too.
Mainly late 19th c. - early 20th c.
Some beautifully read, others unlisten-to-able.
The balance is just about on the side of buying it as it's not very expensive.
33 Comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2014
As someone who spends a fair bit of time in the car, I found these short stories an excellent way of making travelling more pleasurable. There is a good mix of comedy, horror and so on to entertain and amuse, and an interesting variety of famous names reading the stories. The only irritant I found was the American voice that provides the introduction (and calls Harriet Walter "Harriet Walker") but other than that I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of short stories
on 6 November 2013
Perfect for driving-short stories are a great way to pass the time-read so well by famous people and some were so funny too. Very nice old fashioned turn of phrase at times.
on 28 June 2013
These are some well chosen stories that are great for shortening a long journey. Nothing too heavy and something you can listen to again and not get bored. Good value for money and quick delivery too.
on 26 August 2013
Worth buying and listening to if you have a long car journey - which we did. A nice "taste" of many authors.
on 31 October 2012
I haven't yet read all the stories on the cd, but it's just what I need when I'm feeling tired and can close my eyes and listen to the great classic stories!
on 5 September 2014
BRILLIANT KEEPS ONE ENTERTAINED FOR HOURS..AND YOU CAN GO BACK TO IT TIME AND TIME AGAIN HERBERTSA VORY