Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 April 2015
I loved this enjoyable raunchy chick lit. This is the second book I have read by Hayley Oakes and I find her writing easy to relate to, especially as I live on the Fylde Coast. I would recommend this book and look forward to reading more from this author.
on 26 June 2014
I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for Wicked Reads.
Ooo ooo taboo! Kyle and Sophie went met in High School, but they couldn't be farther apart in social standing. You can imagine their surprise when their parents decide to get married! Their love hate relationship croses many lines as it spirals straight into their adult lives, but as step siblings can they make anything work or are they destined to give up and conform to society's rules?
I was definitely drawn in by the cover of this book. It looks sweet and intimate and it led to a story line I wasn't expecting, but I did enjoy. Of course some people won't like the taboo aspect of this book, but it did not bother me and I found it intriguing to see how a situation like Kyle and Sophie's could go. I enjoyed their chemistry. The author did well at showing how the ones you truly love have the most power to hurt you and to to make you happiest. The steamy moments were definitely enjoyable as well. I would recommend this story to anyone open minded enough to get past the step-sibling thing and enjoy a heart-felt steamy romance story. Overall, I liked this story and it was an easy read for me.
*Wicked Reads Review Team*
on 15 June 2016
After reading Waiting for Grace I was looking forward to reading another of Hayley's books and Just Between Us did not disappoint! Very engaging with fantastic characters, it's a book I couldn't put down.
on 27 May 2014
Oh how I loved this book. The lust, the sexual desire, the heated tension and the pure hatred all wrapped up in a quirkyness one just can not read.

When love and hate collide Kyle and Sophie find they are fighting the lust, desire and hatred they hold for each other. But for how long can they pretend that they detest each other before people put two and two together.

A hatred so tangible turns into a desire you can't get rid of.

To accept friendship when you are fighting so much more.

His attitude to life is who gives a crap, no one does so why should he.

Only she does care, she can see what his life is all about. But he constantly throws her kindness back in her face.

Two people so right for each other are brought together for all the wrong reasons.

One scared of the truth coming out.
One desperate for the truth to come out.

My heart ached for Kyle he was so vulnerable and the one person he truly did love with all his heart kept pushing him away and breaking him. She could heel him, fix him, help him and she played him. He would of given her the world to have her forever

One summer. One summer was never truly enough he needed her to complete him. To make him feel wanted and loved. She broke his heart time and time again

The book constantly changes from the here and now back to the past as there story develops we gain there reasonings behind their broken hearts,

Can true love fix them?
Can they ever be a them? Or will everything crumble around them and destroy all they should be.

Written on behalf of Sarah's Book Reviews
on 20 May 2014
This book blew me away, the story , the characters, the writing for me it was pretty near perfection in a book !!!!

Firstly I'm a big fan of forbidden romances, they get my heart pounding, my stomach turning and this story did those things and more, but this wasn't like the majority of this genre it was a little different and I loved that.

Kyle and Sophie have known each each for most of their lives, but they are not friends in fact they have hardly spoken to each other. That all changes when Kyle's father marries Sophie's mother and the pair become step siblings, but that was ten years ago, before the summer they spend together.

The story begins ten years later on the day of Sophie's supposed wedding, having been dumped a few days before she is devastated, she can't see a way to get over her life plans shattering to pieces, until Kyle returns.
He suggests a break to get her self straight and back to the girl he once knew.
And so our story begins, the author changes from then ( ten years ago) to what is happening now , I absolutely loved this, to see how their relationship developed over the summer, how they both changed as people because of each other and the excitement of the whole forbidden relationship.
The story is mainly from Sophie's POV, I believe Hayley is a mind reader as I really felt I needed to hear Kyle's thoughts on the whole situation and his POV came along .......thanks Hayley !
I felt a whole host of emotions whilst reading this book, I totally fell for Kyle mean, moody, sexy and very vulnerable. My heart broke along with Kyle and Sophie and yes I did she'd a tear or two. Also frustration I could of screamed and banged their heads to together at one point but all was well in the end. Hayley writes some amazing sex scenes in some interest places adding spice to this awesome story.
As a British girl I delighted in the fact that this was set in England with good old knickers and sh**ing go Hayley.
This is the first book I've read from Hayley but it won't be the last .
on 4 June 2014
OMG! I loved this book!

I want to thank Hayley for kindly providing me with a copy of Just Between Us to read and review

This book it just full of YUMMYNESS!

I loved that Hayley wrote JBU by going back and forth between the past and present.

We get to see both sides, the younger side of Sophie & Kyle and the older, mature side of Sophie & Kyle.

I did get a tad bit peeved off at Sophie.....she totally did my head in, in a way I could see where she was coming from...but seriously woman....argghhhhhh

BUT

Don't get me wrong....Kyle certainly messed up at times, and I seriously wanted to cause bodily harm to him for being such an idiot, but hey ho....we can't help who we fall in love with now, can we?

As the quote above state, Kyle, yes...he totally was an enigma, but we got to understand why with the dual POV's, between him and Sophie ( I love it when an author writes in dual POV)

I don't want to give away more away than I have so all I can say is this book was a very addicting read. I loved the banter between Kyle and Sophie and the love they had for one another.
on 22 May 2014
A book about taboo love.....

The book is set in England and all characters are English, in how they act and speak! It's all about Kyle and Sophie, step siblings!

It's mainly told from Sophie's POV, but we get some of Kyle's too, it also flits from past to present, not in an annoying way though it's done so you can see how the relationship between them developed in the past and at the same time in present.

Okay onto characthers, I felt Sophie's pain, sadness and eventually happiness. At times I wanted to throw kindle at wall. How anyone could say the love these characters feel for one another is wrong!? Kyle, yes as a teenager he may not have been perfect but as a 28 year old omg his adorable, you can totally feel there emotions and you will be rooting for one of them to make a move.

Yes this book bought tears to my eyes, for that reason along with story and great characters I'm giving this book a strong 4.5 stars.

**i was gifted a copy for an honest review **
on 24 August 2016
My first read by Hayley Oakes. This book completely catches you and reels you in, you are truly gripped. Very easy reading that you find yourself saying 'just after this chapter' each evening. You can really relate to the characters. Highly recommend
on 23 May 2014
"I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads."

I found this to be an enjoyable and well thought out story. The story shifts from present day to ten years ago, and from one pov to the other quite smoothly. I enjoyed the side characters, and how they were built upon, as well as getting a good understanding of how the main protagonists got their ideas.

It is a great reminder of how so much 'stuff' can grow out of control in your mind, without ever being reality - not always in good or bad ways. A thought provoking book; I will look out for more by this author.

~~Wicked reads Review Team~~
on 3 April 2014
Having read the authors first book and love it, I couldn't wait for "Just between us".

I bought it the day it was released Friday morning and finished it Tuesday evening, ( which with 2 young children with very little spare time) was quick for me!

I couldn't put it down and spent every spare minute I had reading It to find out what happened.

I really like the style in which the book was wrote with the flashbacks to the past, the author had my attention from the first page, and loved it from the start to finish.

i'm now looking forward to book number 3! :-)