Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 January 2015
I found this mildly amusing, until about a third of the way through where the historical and other inaccuracies got so annoying I had to give up. It's set during the Regency, yet the author refers to the Prince Regent as His Majesty, rather than His Highness. Part of the action takes place on an old "shipping wharf". Brighton was a small fishing village until popularised by the Prince Regent, and the first pier was not built until 1823. The author also repeatedly refers to the ocean. The English Channel is not an ocean and no one, in the 19th century or now would refer to it that way. This is basic research, which as the author refers to herself as a history buff, should have been easy enough to check. Sorry, back to rereading my Georgette Heyers.
on 24 May 2015
Before reviewing the book, let me say that I'm British and my experience in my formative years of Regency romance was Georgette Heyer, whom I heartily recommend to any who haven't already discovered her. Readers not having that background may react to this book quite differently.
The plot was OK, but not gripping. The characters were mostly OK, but not captivating. I suppose that the use of US spelling in a novel set in Regency England will grate on others less than on me, but for vocabulary I couldn't accept 'sidewalk' instead of 'pavement' and 'cravat' instead of 'neckcloth', for example. Abbreviating Fleet Street to 'Fleet' (when referring to a junction) was also both wrong-century and wrong-side-of-the-Atlantic, and I'm not sure that referring to the Prince Regent as 'His Majesty' was a good idea.I found the use of Regency 'slang' sometimes irritating, for instance 'Fustian!' (which I believe isn't an exclamation) where I would have expected to see 'Fudge!'.
If Ms Baldwin wishes to explore the Regency romance further, I'd suggest she use a more specialised proofreader, so that she can concentrate on plot and characters and also stay true to her chosen genre.
on 15 June 2014
This reminded me a little of Georgette Heyer's "Grand Sophie" and as Ms Heyer is my favourite author, I'm always wary when people compare other authors to her. However, the comparison I make here is quite positive. This author is quite good and I'd recommend her to all Heyer fans. The story is a very sweet romance as expected and also very well written with a lot of humour to making it a very enjoyable read indeed. Very true to the period and believable. I'll look out for more books by this author and would recommend this one.
I have to say I enjoyed Lady Fiasco. I found it refreshingly comic and a sweet romance. The characters come across well, although I have to say I think the aunt is a bit over the top for Regency England! I liked the writing style which flows well and is easy to read. Ms Baldwin has a comic genius in the way she writes, and several scenes made me laugh out loud. I do like the way she deliberately mixes her metaphors, and the descriptions at times were funny. It is also refreshing not to have to wade through (in my case skip pages) of graphic sex scenes. For that alone it gets my vote.

On the minus side, quite a few Americanisms were in there. We do not have 'boardwalks' in England, and I felt some of the language did not suit the time period. The Prince Regent was never addressed as 'Majesty', not until he inherited the throne. American spelling sometimes grates, but it is not often enough to be a problem. I did find the plot a little thin and I was a little surprised at some of the behaviour of the young lady Fiona. Swimming in a lake? Hmmm. I wasn't sure about that, but I suspended disbelief because I was enjoying it.

If you want your historical romance to be historically accurate, then probably this book is not for you. If you want an entertaining read, then you will enjoy it. I have to say, I certainly did.
on 7 April 2015
I have enjoyed a few of Kathleens other books but this one was a disappointment. Many of the characters didn't feel real and the plot was almost non-existent. I ended up skipping pages just to finish it quicker, and even then the ending was disappointing because it needed an epilogue. Not recommended if you have to pay for it.
on 19 November 2013
I found this debut Regency a delightful romp, in places reminiscent of a French farce or an English pantomime.

The heroine Fiona is accident prone, or rather seems to induce accidents for people in her vicinity. This gives her a reputation, making her a sought after guest at balls, and someone to be avoided as cursed by the locals. Add to this an extremely eccentric aunt, a hero Tyrell who's heart is a 'useless mechanism that stopped working in Spain, on the battlefields of Badajoz', and an inept villain Marcus who botches attempts to kill the heroine in order to inherit a fortune, and the comic mixture is complete!

For Regency buffs keen on period accuracy this book may cause some discomfort, for example with the heroine apparently an accomplished athlete running miles to a nearby lake where she swims like a fish. But who knows what eccentricity may have existed in the lesser known minor aristocracy.

The final accident with spilled custard (not sure if custard was a Regency delicacy!) had me grinning with pleasure as the couple finally got together:

Tyrell kissed away another little dollop (of custard) from her forehead and then lightly touched his tongue to a small portion near her mouth. He murmured. "I love you, Fiona. I'm afraid, my beloved Elf, that tranquility and solitude have entirely lost their appeal. I don't think I could bear life without you. Marry me.

Highly recommended for a light hearted amusing read.
on 30 August 2014
disappointed, story very light and characters not believable
on 6 August 2014
I really enjoyed this book, it ha me grinning the whole way through. I couldn't quite work out how old Aunt Honore is, perhaps we're meant not to know as a lady never reveals her age! All in all a really witty romance that's was very enjoyable!
on 17 May 2015
A lovely story well written with lively interesting characters who create a colourful story. Lots of humour and I often found myself laughing out loud at some of the disasters described. I feel it deserves the 5stars just for the enjoyment.
on 1 December 2015
Appealing characters and colourful backgrounds contribute to make this an enjoyable romp. An easy read with plenty of action to ensure attention does not wane. A very positive start to the series.