Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 April 2017
Beautiful artwork, story is great and the start to building a collection. Looks great on the bookshelf. Great price for a hardback book.
on 9 April 2017
No big high falooting words, just read these books you'll love them. The best read I've done in year's , so go on read it
on 9 May 2017
Perfect, it was exactly as the seller described. The delivery was ok too so no worries here. Great book too.
on 1 April 2017
Now we are done, at last!
on 12 April 2017
Fabulous!
on 1 August 2015
good reading.
on 15 July 2005
Like most other people it feels like a lifetime (and it probably is!) since I was first introduced to, then fell in love with, Roland of Gilead. Like others, I have experienced the highs and lows of following his story and those of his ka-tet - both in terms of the story and sometimes to quality of writing (being a die-hard King fan it pains me to say that).
The Dark Tower VII sends you on an emotional roller coaster that takes you back to the good old days when King really knew how to tell a story. There were times when I had to put the book down and walk away just to recover from what I'd just learned. There were times when King weaves so much of himself into the threads (figuratively AND literally) that you sometimes can't tell where reality ends and fiction begins. This is the only book I've read in a long time that just doesn't play it safe. There's so much joy, pain, sadness, heartache - this is not for the faint-hearted. If you have built up any emotional connection over the years to any of the main characters, trust me - there will be times when you just won't know where to put yourself.
I finished this book a couple of months ago and so have had time to reflect on the ending. Make no mistake, this IS the end. My initial reaction was of the "you gotta be kidding" variety, but the more I think about it (and you WILL be thinking about it for a long time to come, this book just wont leave you alone even after you've closed its covers for the last time), the more I believe it is the only way. Simple, quiet, final. And so so right as a conclusion to an epic. Now I just think: "wow..."
on 14 March 2017
The Unsung Hero of Stephen Kings Considerable Talent:
Wow. What can I say? I didn't read this collection because having read Stephen's entire catalogue, I didn't see what amounts to a very long Western {I avoid Westerns like the plague usually} adventure, could possibly add to the mix. I couldn't be more wrong! I've read all of the Gunslinger volumes now, including the post conclusion addition Wind Through The Keyhole and I am once again left in awe. The way Stephen has written these tales weaves Cowboy Roland Deschain, Ex-druggie Eddie Dean, profoundly injured but in no way Disabled Susanna Dean and young but no Child Jake Chambers and their wonderfully intricately painted {That way Stephen has of creating live images of every tiny detail the through words} surroundings in to your imagination and in this case, your heart, is nothing less than breathtaking! When I am reading these books, I'm in love with Mr Deschain and the other characters feel like well loved members of my own family. I feel like I could walk out of my house and down the road and I will stumble into an arid wasteland populated by tumbleweeds, cowpokes and old world Sheriffs who wield huge nickel plated revolvers and drink themselves silly in the local tavern every evening to drown out the harshness of their daily lives. These stories are written so well you feel like you almost could be there. It's shocking how totally immersed one can get into the dreamscapes of another's very clever imagination.
I recommend you read these if you like John Wayne, or not. Read them if you've been avoiding them because they might be a little bit too far from Stephens usual work, because they're not. If anything life back then could be more harrowing than an alien invasion, a killer clown on the lamb, or a rip through time enabling one man to go through and rewrite history for the destruction of life as we know it. At turns these books are terrifying. But they're also beautiful, heart-wrenching, thought provoking and harsh. They are masterpieces each and every one.
on 14 February 2016
I so wanted to love this series. I really did. My first encounter was with ‘Wizard and Glass’ at twelve years old and was accidental, I did not realise until I started reading that this was a series, I read on anyhow and loved it. It was some years later I got round to purchasing the other books. ‘The Gunslinger’ was admittedly a bit of a difficult read, however, I enjoyed the next few books. I would say things started to go ‘wrong’ after ‘Wolves of the Calla’ (for me anyway).

What had captivated me about this series was Roland’s familiar yet strange world and his encounters. His interactions with ‘folken’ from alien cultures, thorough which we got to know Roland and find out about his quest for the illusive tower. The mythology which all seemed like it was leading the reader somewhere, the allure that the intuitive and keen eyed reader may be able to figure out where Roland would be heading, or how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. It was going well. The story was pretty consistent up to a point, however, the last two books changed the tone of the series altogether for me.

The story became less interesting and lacked in substance and refinement. It felt to me like King had grown to despise Roland and his quest in the end, that he wanted to finish the tale for the sake of finishing. His final three books came in quick succession when compared with earlier volumes in the series, and it shows. There were so many elements introduced which, in the end, added nothing to the story. Susannah’s pregnancy and Mia, Mordred the random ‘spider demon son’, the introduction of himself into the story. None of it quite flowed. Instead of dedicating a significant proportion of the story to this arc, I would have liked to see more revelations from Roland’s past, more specifically what exactly happened with his childhood friends, and how his experiences drove his relentless quest for The Tower. There were so many arcs left unanswered. What became of Black 13 and what was its significance to the tower, up until the moment it was ‘forgotten’, it appeared to be pretty important? What happened to Ted Brautigan et al?

I disliked the introduction of characters from King’s other works into the book. It all became a bit too…. unfantasylike? As a fan of this genre, what I enjoy is an author’s ability to immerse me into ‘their’ world, to make it somehow believable, tangible. By introducing himself and unrelated characters from his other books, it kind of ruined the fictional world for me. I understand that this was King attempting to demonstrate how he felt that this work had ‘infiltrated’ his other books, but as a reader, I am more interested in the story itself than the author’s motivations/struggles.

The ending seemed cobbled together. Lots of people took issue with Susannah leaving before reaching the tower. This didn’t bother me so much itself, it always was Roland’s quest. I just didn’t like how the Jake and Eddie in New York thing panned out, it came across as lazy storytelling. Then there were such obvious mistakes you knew Roland and Susannah would never make, like going into Dandelo’s house and stuffing their faces with fresh chicken and butterscotch. As if it wouldn’t occur to them that having all these things to hand whilst living in a deserted village on the edge of the ‘Bad Lands’ wouldn’t be a little bit suss. It just seems Roland and his Ka Tet were forever happening upon objects/people of significance, which in the end had no real significance at all, because it appeared the tower’s only real purpose was to throw Roland back to the beginning. It is hinted that Roland was ‘thrown back’ because he didn’t get it quite right i.e. didn’t bring the horn with him, but that still leaves the reader in exactly the same position as they were when they started the books, which is wondering what the hell is the tower, why is it so important, and what is its purpose? I suspect King knew the reader may feel this way, hence the rant at the end about how it is the journey that is important, not the end, and if you think otherwise, you’re an idiot. I hate to say it because for the most part, I am a fan of Mr King’s works, but I feel like I have wasted my time following Roland’s journey, to be frank, the last couple of books were a chore to get through, and as such I feel I should have stopped where I started, at ‘Wizard and Glass’ all those years ago!
on 8 June 2007
Some time ago I have written a review on Gunslinger then I have decided to refrain from reviewing the rest of the series until I have finished The Dark Tower VII.
Now, I have reached the destination. I have finished the last book in the saga. It was indeed a very long journey. It started almost 1 year ago. While reading the series I picked up a few more books to get a bit of a rest from the series (after the first 4 volumes), then I re-read Gunslinger and understood/liked it much more than when I read it for the first time. I have also read Salem's Lot and Hearts in Atlantis between volume VI and VII. I would suggest reading them after Wizard and Glass, book 4. It would make Father Callahan's story in Wolves of Calla, book 5 more interesting.

I didn't know what to expect from The Dark Tower VII. I have read too many negative reviews about S. King screwing it up completely and its ruined ending (as well as a lot of unsympathetic moaning about Wolves of Calla and Song of Sunnah). I don't know what everybody expected from the series. The ending is completely unpredictable and different from any other book I have ever read. It was certainly highly unusual... I still think it was interesting how he did it, by tying it into his view of the Dark Tower. Sure some people would like a more traditional finish but I think this particular ending is very good. As King said, it could not be different and the journey was fantastic as well.

When I finished the book, I felt a little bit disappointed by the ending, but why? I could not explain it to myself, so I re-read the last chapter (Coda/Found) the next day in the morning. Then I have done some thinking about it and the more I thought, the more I became convinced that the ending is brilliant?!
It is not a Hollywood happy end, but if it were anything like that it would have an artificial/contrived feeling to it. The ending as it is does feel very natural, very fit and thoughtful. I believe I quite like it, I almost love it.

Another thought have crossed my mind. I would like to re-read The Dark Tower in future. I know how it is going to end and still I would like to re-read the series. Moreover, I have this feeling right now, right after I finished the series vs. having the same feeling in 5 years time when I remember next to nothing. I wonder, what does it mean? There were many books I enjoyed and I liked their happy or not very happy endings. However, I didn't feel like I want to re-read them in order to go through all the details of the saga, to start the journey from the beginning.
I guess it is like The Lord of the Rings. We know the ending (actually we might hate it) but we would like to come back for details. I think it is a mark of a greatness of a book. I believe this is what makes a particular book/series outstanding.
Actually, I feel a little bit sad that I have so say Goodbye to Roland and his company with whom I spent almost a year.
I would definitely recommend the series to my friends.

A few more words about this edition. It has quite a few illustrations that help you to immerse deeper into an atmosphere of the book. I like the quality of this edition (good solid paper and even a bookmark :))