Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 May 2017
I was quite prepared to not like this, having read synopses of the story. Don't get me wrong, I love King's work, his writing style and the little (did he mean that) nuances that make his stories enjoyable. But this sounded weird. It is weird. I'm not a fan of Westerns, that's probably the root of it and although this Gunslinger guy seems to be part knight, part wizard, part Two Gun Tex, the nod to the Western genre is still there. Written when he was 19, cutting his teeth on the literary scene, it's understandably disjointed and the writing style is notably different; a writer still struggling to find his style. It wasn't an easy read, but some parts of it were really good, parts not so. On the whole it was a little confusing but I could see the potential there for the development. Enough back story was told to give the Gunslinger a past and for us to connect with him. I can forgive this awkward beginning, given its history and I was going to score this lower but having just started Vol 2, I can see a marked improvement already and the King we all know starts to show himself. Based on this, I improved my score; call it a weighted average.
on 24 May 2017
I've read and enjoyed the whole Dark Tower series before and am currently re-reading ahead of the cinema version later in the year. Of the seven (and a half if you count "The Wind Through The Keyhole") "Wolves of the Calla" is probably my favourite. It moves the saga forward whilst also offering a complete story in itself, and reintroduces us, to great effect I think, to Father Callaghan from "Salem's Lot".

It's a great read - and also a superb audio experience. Love It!!
on 27 April 2017
As you would expect from Stephen King, it is an easy read and difficult to put down.
on 4 April 2017
Fantastic. This is my third trip to the tower and its as good as the first time. One of my favourites.
on 26 April 2017
Just finished and wow, just like this books before it, it's a stunner! Why didn't I start reading this years ago?
on 23 May 2017
This is my second reading of the series and is as absorbing as the first.
on 3 April 2017
This is the best series of books ever written and they have consumed my life....
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It was not very good.
on 23 May 2017
Stephen King always delivers !
on 20 May 2017