Format: Flexibound|Change

on 1 February 2015
As someone who writes code for a living, I've been trying to find a way to get my 8 year old some kind of exposure to it. My own attempts having fallen flat, this book with its game-based approach and lots of fun ideas and bright colours is perfect. She is hooked (in a good way).
on 15 February 2015
Buy hard copy not digital it is much easier to read on paper form
You cannot make text bigger on kindle nor change the background colour if you have sight problems. For some reason my kindle fire won't allow me to zoom in and out on this book although it will on other instructional books.
I bought this book for myself I'm 54 and wanted to learn code and am not ashamed to start at the most basic level possible the book seems to be a good introduction and .much better than some of the simpler books aimed at the adult market that frankly were more talk than action.
on 8 October 2014
Great book with the basics for learning coding. It's not just for kids. It's great for adults too if they want to learn.
on 17 November 2014
My 7 year old son has just started reading this. He's found it really exciting and can not wait to start coding. The language used in the book is simple to understand yet engaging.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 March 2016
My eight-year-old daughter - who wants to be a computer games designer when she grows up, and is in a school computers group for the gifted and talented - LOVES this book. She reads it late at night in bed avidly, she has photocopied parts of it to make manuals for her friends (and her teachers!!!), and for World Book Day she went to school dressed as the computer code Python. (She dressed all in green and yellow.)

My very Luddite understanding is that when children are first learning to code, they start with Scratch, then Python, then move on to more adult languages like Java when they are teenagers. The first half of this book is based on Scratch, the next third is on Python, then there are some short sections on how computers actually work inside, a quick introduction to the most commonly-used coding languages for adults, some famous coders from the past (including Ada Lovelace and Grace Hopper - go, girls!), warnings about viruses, a bit on hardware, and a final page inspiring the child to become a Master Programmer.

Visually, it's beautifully laid out, printed on thick glossy paper, and with bright and colourful computer pixel illustrations and diagrams on every page. The text is broken up into very clear and inviting chunks for the child to work through, with step-by-step instructions for everything, and even though there are some rather complex concepts buried within this book, it is so accessible and friendly and well-thought-out, the child probably won't even realise. Reading age 8+ years.
on 5 January 2016
A great book that flows really well, makes great use of colour and imagery and covers a lot of subjects without ever seeming to dwell too long.

This book is really good and works with children of different abilities. Beginners can start with Scratch and an MIT login https://scratch.mit.edu/parents/. The more advanced can move on into Python, Apps development, understanding HTML , coding with Javascript etc. All this is done seamlessly with no misalignment between sections, so this is all the book any child needs to make the journey from first touching a computer to being able to develop interactive applications in different languages.

One slight negative. My son used this book with his raspberry pi. He had a couple of problems with the RPi libraries not working initially, but seems to have solved this with some changes. However these are very very minor points and probably only apply to the specific environment he is using. Perhaps some online (publisher?) guidance on using the book with a raspberry Pi would help? The book focuses on Windows and Macs.

In summary, this is a book that any parent can confidently buy a child who is interested in computers. Ignore the negative reviews.
on 26 September 2014
I bought this book initially for my son (who is 8) who really likes computers and talked about doing computer programming. It is a fantastic book for those starting at the beginning. It's really easy to follow and 'Scratch' the programme they start off with is easy and fun. I have also bought this for a friend's childs birthday and he told my son that it was one of his best presents!
on 13 November 2015
Awesome book, both my son (9) and daughter (8) enjoying going through this and are able to get on with it without my constant support.

I work in IT myself and used to be a programmer. I like how it begins by putting programming in context by explaining where programs are used around us in everyday life, before jumping into basic programming concepts using Scratch. The student then graduates to Python midway through the book which I think it great because that is a real-world language and gives the student motivation to clear all the Scratch tasks. So I think the 'narrative' of this book is very good as it takes the student from A-Z in a logical way at a realistic pace.

I expect I will need to support them more when they get onto the Python tasks.

On some recent visits of local secondary grammar schools the students there were using Scratch and Python but the level was not higher than the tasks in this book. So I am hoping my kids will be able to finish the book in the next year as that would put them somewhere like year 10 level when they enter secondary school in year 7.
on 11 October 2014
Absoutely fantastic introduction to programming. Wonderfully presented and easy to follow. Would definitely recommend!
on 22 June 2016
I am a professional C# developer, and I bought this because I was asked if I could teach programming to a 7-year-old. Although I'm familiar with the theory, I needed some ideas on how to approach the subject with a child, and this book was helpful. The only criticism I could have is that it is a little short in my opinion - you will have to move on to more advanced books fairly soon, but it's an excellent choice to begin with.