Customer reviews

Johnny Morris, Bedtime Stories With, (Vintage Beeb) (BBC Records & Tapes)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 August 2017
Love these stories for my grandson
on 28 May 2017
gift
on 7 June 2013
Absolutely love this. Johnny Morris's voices are spot on and the stories are funny and sweet for bedtime. Timeless listening.
on 8 June 2017
Fabulous stories
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Older readers will require no introduction to Johnny Morris. For the rest, dressed as a zoo keeper at Bristol Zoo, he appeared on BBC Children's television in the 1960's and 70's with his programme Animal Magic. He used to put words around shots of animals in the zoo which was all delightful.

This disc contains a number of his own stories, originally recorded for the GPO dial-a-bedtime story service, and first released in 1972. As a collection there is a touch of repetition, probably as they were only meant to be heard one at a time, but all have charm and are easy listening.

The packaging has been thoughtfully done. As well as the original LP cover as the CD cover, the CD itself is black - the topside label even has pretend grooves!

Whilst the packaging and the nostalgia will appeal to older parents and grandparents, the stories will charm the little ones no end.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 31 October 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This collection of animal stories by the late Johnny Morris of "Animal Magic" fame, will strike a nostalgic chord with anyone who watched BBC children's television in the 1960s and 1970s. Told by Morris, each of the fourteen stories takes the form of a visit by a zoo keeper to one of the animals to say goodnight, and to chat about the often funny events of the day. Each creature has a different personality and a different voice and is wonderfully brought to life by Morris's wonderful delivery. There are no high-tech effects here, just simple stories enthusiastically recounted to excellent effect.
For people of my generation, this collection is pure nostalgia, but I wanted to find out what my children (aged 8,7 and 4) thought, so we put the disc on for a car journey and they loved it, listening intently and chuckling at the gentle humour. It just shows that 21st century children don't necessarily have to have high-tech presentations to maintain their interest - these classic tales were thoroughly appreciated. I think these stories would be suitable for children from about age 2 upwards, and it would be great to listen to one story each night at bedtime - you'd have a fortnight's worth then. This disc would make a great alternative present for a young child - definitely recommended!
on 3 February 2011
Great cd. I bought this for my daughters aged 7 and 10 to listen to as they go off to sleep.I wasn't sure what they would think to Johnny Morris, but i remembered him from my childhood so thought i'd give it a go.Need not have worried, i think the cd is almost worn out through constant use!
VINE VOICEon 14 May 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like many others I was brought up with Johnny Morris and his 'talking' animals but, until recently would have agreed that children today expect more. However, a charming little programme that my daughter watches (Big Barn Farm) made me think this was worth getting and I was right. The cd contains 14 charming tales told on Johnny's night time rounds to the animals and is just the thing for calming car journeys and stress free bedtimes. For those who complain that there isn't enough spark about these stories, well it's certainly lacking thrilling sound effects and special effects but it is what is says it is, a collection of gentle tales for children to use their imagination with.

And it won't drive the adults crazy either!
VINE VOICEon 19 July 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I grew up shortly after Johnny Morris so it hasn't featured in my life at all but wondered if my son would love it. In short, yes.

He loves the stories and nothing else we have found is similar. His particular favourite is 'The Kookaburras' but all are brilliant. The way he puts the characters and personalities into the animals is a lovely skill and a really enjoyable experience, so much so that I've started listening to it in my car....shhhhh, don't tell anyone.

So if you are looking for something to keep your young ones quiet in the car, or as a bed-time story or just for chilling then you can't go wrong with this especially at this price.

Well done the BBC!
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think this CD will appeal to the generation who knew and loved Johnny Morris.
For a modern generation who look for a bit more 'bang and whiz' from their story lines, I'm not sure it will appeal.
I purchased it for the car, so that my 4 year old daughter is entertained on longer journeys. She listened, but I'm not sure she got it. To get the most from the story lines, the animals mentioned need to be known. Some she did some she didn't. She hasn't asked for the Cd again, which she has with others.

As an adult, I was captivated for a while, but the idea behind the story is very repetitive, as is the dialogue.
I think it might have been better if the Beeb had released a dvd of the same. Ok, so I couldn't use it in the car, but I think it would have had more appeal.
The design of the CD as a vinyl record is very innovative.