Customer reviews

on 25 July 2017
Superb
on 25 January 2017
A great collection of ISIHAC.
on 13 February 2013
Love the series but have missed lots. Bought this for my brother's Xmas prezzie and he laughed like a drain!
on 20 July 2017
very very funny
VINE VOICEon 5 April 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been collecting every single ISIHAC CD set, since the BBC started producing them. My opinion has always been that the writing, the panel members and the complete disregard for the conventional panel game format - has created the perfect show.

Apart from Marcus Brigstocke, a man who leaves me cold, v.14 has a classy line-up, Jeremy Hardy, Sandi Toksvig, Rob Brydon are superb. David Mitchell is becoming less funny with every show he does, but not to worry.

When, sadly - Humph (Humphrey Lyttelton) passed away, there was an uncertain period. Who would replace him? It HAD to be a presenter who adopted the same cynical manner. The genius of Humph was that he never really wanted to be there, and found the jokes tedious. [it was an act!]. Thank goodness Stephen Fry was not chosen. He is everywhere and is far too 'sweet and safe'. Rob Brydon was good when he presented a few shows but Jack Dee is the ideal choice. Bored by the jokes and the script, he'd rather be at home, [just like Humph!].

Admittedly, not every segment works. In my opinion the Uxbridge English dictionary should be even longer, it's my favourite part of the show. The 'One Song to the tune of another' can wear a little thin, and Mornington Crescent is...just weird - BUT the general banter, innuendo and comedy is painfully funny.

Barry Cryer could make anyone laugh - just reading a bus timetable, and the 2 former Goodies never fail to provide hilarity. This particular volume is perhaps one of the less funny, slightly patchier series, yet I still believe it deserves 5 stars.

Long may it continue.
on 21 March 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was my first time listening to I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, and I did so largely because Jack Dee was hosting it. Jack is an excellent host and mediator and his opening monologues for each of these four compilation shows are absolutely hilarious. I also vaguely knew two of the regular panellists (Graeme Garden and Tim Brooke-Taylor) from re-runs of the Goodies, and probably most people know Barry Cryer even if not sure from where. I was expecting silliness and word play and silliness and word play was exactly what I got, and for the very most part I loved it.

Each compilation episode takes some of the best rounds from the recording of two or three programmes, each of which features a special guest and is taped in front of a studio audience who quite clearly are having a wonderful time. It makes you wonder just how much you are missing out on by not being able to see the panellists, especially when they are making duck noises. The reason for the duck noises is a round called "Whose Duck Are You?", and you can probably guess how the round works from the title. Another round that needs no explanation is "One Song To The Tune Of Another". Others need a bit more explanation, for example "Texting For Pensioners" finds new meanings for abbreviations such as MYOB ("Make Your Own Bovril"), and in "Unseen Prequels" the panel come up with titles for imaginary prequels to well known films, for example:

"The Land That Time Put in a Safe Place";
"Cheese Eaten Too Close to Bedtime on Elm Street";
"The Long Way Round, Avoiding the River Kwai"; or, my personal favourite:
"The Empire Gets Struck".

Some rounds are unashamedly lowbrow, but nevertheless laugh out loud funny - mostly because the panel are themselves laughing out loud and it's contagious. One such example is a round called "In My Pants", where TV programmes are improved by adding the very same three words to the end of them. There are also plenty of rounds featuring puns, charades, and other general forms of cleverness, such as "I got a satellite television, now I have to go up in a rocket to watch it".

Like I said earlier, as a newcomer to the show I needed the sleeve notes to understand the show's history, but where are the sleeve notes explaining the rules of Mornington Crescent I wonder? Well, what the sleeve notes actually say is that the "rules have eluded and baffled listeners for years". That brings me to my final observation, which is that the show has no scores. There are many TV programmes, I'd guess, that owe much to this long running radio series and where the actual scores at the end of the programme mean nothing, so why even have them? I think ISIHAC (in texting for pensioners, that stands for "I see I have a colostomy", but actually stands for I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue) has it completely right by not having a score at all. That only raises another question though - why is there someone called Samantha who always scores everywhere they go?
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the second collection of shows with Jack Dee as host and he is settling in well. With the exception of some of the (very) long running gags -the introductions for the lovely Samantha are getting a bit repetitious - the chairman's script no longer sounds as though it was written for Humph, and Dee is now sufficiently comfortable in the role to ad lib freely.

The three regulars (Barry Cryer, Tim Brooke Taylor and Graeme Garden) are good value as usual with a running gag developing over Cryer's drinking and ageing. The usual rounds (Mornington Crescent, Uxbridge English Dictionary, Sound Charades) are present and correct and are as enjoyable as ever. Of the newer rounds, one particularly fun one has Jack Dee having to respond with the answer "sausages" to any question put by the contestants. It doesn't sound promising, but the general elevation of silliness in the questions and the breaking down of Jack Dee's "miserable git" persona make it a highlight.

In the years since Willie Rushton died, the quality of the show has often depended on the guest panellists. In this collection, we have David Mitchell, Jeremy Hardy, Marcus Brigstocke and Rob Brydon. As the longest serving guest, it is perhaps a little disappointing that Jeremy Hardy is the weakest of the four here, but the disc editors have recognised this by increasing the amount from David Mitchell who is on good (and not too pompous) form. Marcus Brigstocke is the provider of some erudite wordplay, and Rob Brydon is on song (literally in "One Song to the Tune of Another" where his rendition of The Wurzells "Brand New Combine Harvester" to the tune of "Islands in the Stream" is another highlight).

Overall, a good addition to the collections of fans of literate (if occasionally filthy) jokes.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue CD14 rolls into town and is well up to the very high standards of previous shows.
Here you get 4 extended episodes of the great Radio show and it does not out live it's welcome by one nano second.
Jack Dee is a winner filling what most people reguarded as impossible to fill Humphry Littleton's shoes as chairman. (I wonder how many years he will have to get in before people stop using that line or one similar when doing a review of the CDs??)

Joining the regular panallists of Tim Brooke-Taylor, Barry Cryer and Graeme Garden are guests such as Jeremy Hardy, Marcus Brigstocke, Rob Brydon and David Mitchell.
Each one excels.
All the usual silliness is there stand out is singing the words of one song to the tune of another.

Everyone of the 'stars' really get to shine out in these wonderful shows that may be described with out cliche ' laugh out loud'.

The standard is well what you'd expect from the I'm Sorry team and that my friend is really saying something...
I should add that I was sent this CD from Amazon Vine but my review is genuine.

Recommended...
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There was a Humph shaped hole in Clue after his sad demise, at the time you would have been forgiven for predicting the end of the show. I must admit to a raised eyebrow when Jack Dee was chosen as the permanent host, on reflection, however, I can't think of a better person for the job. He brings the same, mildly annoyed, rather-be-somewhere-else, sense of exasparation to the job that Humph did so well and like Humph you can't help sympathising with the man.

Clue is perhaps the least pretentious comedy on radio, it's not cutting-edge, it's not youth and it's certainly not cool. It is bl**dy funny though. And clever too, revelling in puns and word play, often with a huge dollop of double-entendre and sometimes plain old single-entendre too ('sausages' was a particularly good example...).

Each of the extended episodes, recorded in different venues around the country, contain a series of silly games for the panellists to play, some are old favourites and some are new (though often similar to more familiar ones). There is rarely a game that doesn't quite work and the number of real comedic gems more than makes up for a few duff jokes.

Clue is always funny and this volume is absolutely no exception. Looking forward to Volume 15.
VINE VOICEon 8 April 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
ISIHAC or 'Clue' to its legion of fans is a true comedy institution and personally it's a huge treat for me to listen to on BBC Radio 4 at 6:30pm on a Monday night which neatly sets me up for the working week ahead. It's now been on air for 40 years and still feels as fresh and funny as ever; I recall going to see a recording of it during the 90s, accompanied by a spritely gentleman sporting a beard.

As for this CD, it's 2 hours and 35 minutes of material taken from the 2011 series, some of which I recognise, other bits I don't because they're extended bits and certain bits are too rude to be broadcast during the early evening slot (oooh errr!) The sharp wit of the panellists makes it what it is and the question of whether Jack Dee is a suitable replacement for the late, great Humph is something which can be discussed at length but my take on it is that he does a sterling job - his dour nature and dismissive turn of phrase is just the ticket.

My personal favourite games are 'one song to the tune of another' and 'Uxbridge English Dictionary' but it's all quality material. I suppose I'll have to say that it's somewhat expensive compared to podcasts but if you're like me, a young fogey struggling with the onward march of technology, then it's a price worth paying for quality entertainment.