Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 24 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ok - I love it but I will admit to one reservation. It won the 'Roald Dahl Funny Prize in 2011' but is it the sort of thing that adults think children will find funny? Or will children also find this funny? After all it has been written by an adult ...
Reservation over.
This looks to me like the ideal book for a 9 - 11 year old boy. Possibly girls would like to read it to get a peek into the pre-adolescent male psyche, but I have purchased it for a 10 year old boy as that's certainly the market it's aiming for.
The book is ostensibly narrated (and illustrated) by the main character, Tom, and follows his experience of life and school, his friends, the things that concern him and the little episodes that make up every child's experience of life.
There is a good balance of cartoon drawings and writing on each page so that a semi-reluctant reader won't feel overwhelmed and it may feel like s/he is actually reading a cartoon rather than a novel.
So follow the doodles and thoughts of Tom as he and his friends prepare for the talent show at school and the debut of their band, Dogzombies ... and enjoy!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Tom Gates 'Genius Ideas' is a diary, aimed at the 8+ market, featuring young Tom who gives us his insights into a wacky world full of things he's learning to understand and come to terms with. This is the fourth diary in the series, we have the other three, and I think it's the funniest and certainly the quirkiest. The book's small enough to break down into bite sized pieces and filled with black and white illustrations and doodles to add to the comedy factor. Although the aim of 'Genius Ideas' is fun, there's also some educational and emotional value. Not everything in Tom's world is a giggle and I enjoy those slight elements of reality that creep in around the edges and keep him real. Tom is an engaging character and one most children should identify with; girls as much as boys. The book is relatively sophisticated in reading terms. There's some complexity here which will offer a real challenge for younger children.
VINE VOICEon 22 September 2012
When this book popped through the letter box my daughter fell on it and started reading it immediately. She loves all the Tom Gates books and reads them quickly. I can't recommend them highly enough. The thing about them is that they are so well written, and yet so entertaining as well. There's a laugh on every page for children and the grown ups who read with them. You might even find you sneak this copy out of your best beloved's bedroom to read it for yourself!
on 31 March 2014
This book is so fun, it has a great story and lots of interesting illustrations throughout. The words are written in different styles so captures the imagination of children and makes it more interesting for them to read than a standard chapter book. My bookworm (age 7) has read the whole set of these books in around 2 weeks he loved them so much, real page turners. I only wish they would publish more in the series!
on 24 December 2012
Just had to give this book 5 star raing brilliant. My sons has low literacy skills and what is fab about the book is that there isn't much text on each page so it's not overwhelming for them but what text is there has a fun design and font for the words so makes it very eye catching. Also each page is easy for my son to understand. Highly recommend it to any parent with an 8 year old with these difficulties.
on 1 June 2013
Great set of books for boys. My 9/10 year old loves these books. He struggles with reading but finds these about right. Lots of pictures and broken up writting, so its not daunting at all. 'Cool' enough to be seen reading as well! Great buy.
on 24 January 2014
This was the first set of books that we got for our Six/Seven year old and they have been a huge hit.
She can easily read them on her own and the fact that they are from a child's perspective has helped.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a brilliant book which has been written in the style of a diary but with lots and lots of drawings on each page as if it really was a little boy's diary and he has just had to do some drawings and squiggles to go along with what he is writing about:) Another thing is that this book is so so funny and had not just my nephew but also me laughing whilst we have been reading it together. When I say funny I truly mean it and it's not just the written content that makes it funny but the drawings alongside do really add to the humour which if you get the book you will see what I mean. As a couple of the other reviewers have already advised its almost a cross between a book, a diary and a comic and so makes it so easy to read which would be a bonus if your child wasn't a big reader and you were trying to encourage them to read more. Well that's another series of books we are going to end up having to get now that we have discovered this one!
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I chose this book for my seven-year-old son, who would prefer running around playing games to reading. He has enjoyed this book, as has his sister who is two years older. There's an attractive mix of words and pictures, so there are never large blocks of text which might feel off-putting. The details about living in a family are well observed and I genuinely laughed at a couple of Tom's adventures. Anyone who has been to school will appreciate some of the predicaments described. These episodes reminded me of Geoffrey Willans' Molesworth (Penguin Modern Classics) books, though education standards have improved as L. Pichon's more modern book contains far better spelling. While this book is obviously aimed at children, it is also enjoyable for adults. If you read this book with your little one you'll find yourself entertained. There are a few references that only adults will get, but these never overshadow the jokes that will be understood by all. There's a warmth and good humour to this book which makes me whole-heartedly recommend it to all.
on 31 October 2012
My daughter saw this book at school and asked me to buy that for her.
This is one of her absolute favourites now!
It's very funny and written in a funky humourous style that appeals to kids her age.
Will probably buy the rest of the books in the series.