on 7 May 2016
Stick Man is another Julia Donaldson book which is one of my 2 year old’s favourite bedtime stories.

It is the story of a stick man who is separated from his family, when he goes for a jog and is picked up by a dog. He then ends up on all sorts of adventures, with the reader wondering if he will ever get home.

My daughter is not a particularly sensitive child and like most 2 year olds, just takes things as they come, but she did seem a bit worried about Stick Man being away from his family the first time we read this. This is despite loving Monkey Puzzle by the same author, which is a similar theme of separation. Once we’d read through once and she saw the outcome of the book, she relaxed and now asks for it regularly.

The story rhymes and flows nicely. It’s not too long, so holds my daughter’s attention well. My daughter loves shouting ‘I’m Stick Man, I’m Stick Man’ along with the story and it’s been read so often she can recite some parts of the story. It also has a bit of a Christmas twist at the end, so may be a good one to read around that time of year.
on 6 January 2018
Such a lovely book. I bought the hardback copy and it’s a cardboard book, but it’s not a baby book, just durable. My kids love it as well as the programme, it’s the first book my one year old will sit and listen to without trying to rip it out of my hands!
on 6 February 2016
My two toddlers (ages 2 and 3) absolutely love Julia Donaldson's books and this is no exception. As with her other books, it's a pleasure to read with a lovely, rhyming flow to each page. It arrived in the New Year and I must have read it to them close to one hundred times already!!! Somehow I managed to miss the Gruffalo bauble on the tree in the book but my two year old spotted it after a dozen or so readings!!! A really lovely book to add to our growing Donaldson collection.
on 30 July 2014
This is a fun childrens book with adventure and exploration. The art work is as good as you would expect from a Julia Donaldson/Axel Schaeffer book with lively colourful pictures and plenty of details.
The writing is clever and imaginative, again being structured to rhyme and make the book easy to follow for young children.
The only reason i have given it 4 stars is because unlike in the gruffalo books the charactors do not come out so lovable or interesting, i found that my son is not as bothered by the predicaments of stickman as he is by the gruffalo or the witch in room on the broom.
Overall this is a good quality book for children.
on 21 September 2016
Absolutely love this book, and my kids do too! Its about a family of sticks, and the Dad goes missing one morning when he goes for a jog and has to get back to the family tree. Its heart warming, and written so well. I would highly recommend.
on 10 May 2017
This book tunes into children's fascination with sticks (and the many things you can use them for). This story has been televised and so is quite familiar to many children. I have used it as basis for themes at Forest School, using it for story telling, making up own stories and making stick family tree. The book looks at how it feels to be lost and the joy on being reunited with your family.
on 14 January 2017
My son loves all the Julia Donaldson stories and since seeing Stickman on TV this Christmas, he just wants this story read over and over again. Its a nice small size, perfect for travelling in the car or on a plane, and its a sturdy board book. Definitely recommend, as a gift or a new bedtime read for your little one!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 August 2016
My daughter is a huge fan of the Julia Donaldson books. Stick Man is one of her favourites, and I've lost count of how many times we have read it together, to the point where she has memorised most of it. Her grandma had a copy so I decided we should really have a copy of our own so she could read it whenever she wanted. I think this one is preferred even over the excellent Gruffalo series, however she still loves The Smartest Giant in Town more!
on 27 October 2016
Great book for young children 2 year plus. The rhymes are great, the child can relate to the Stick Man's experience. An opportunity to chat and reflect. A worthy read to small children . The latter are observant and can ' open the minds' of relevant adult reader
on 12 June 2016
Great book, but the jump in the story line about two-thirds through is odd. As if the publisher said the original story was too long, we must forcibly remove 4 pages. A good prelude to letting our daughter watch the short animation version.