on 31 March 2012
What a neat booklet this is. The Author has a fascination for patterns and how they are constructed. It all started when he was not allowed to take photos of a Roman pavement, but he wanted to record it for later usage. So he sketched it out. Then he played around with grids of squares to see exactly how the patterns worked.
He has gone on to explore many such Roman designs, and these are illustrated and explained, even to the extent of what size of grid one would need to reconstruct it, along with the basic pattern motif, and how this pattern builds.
I think that this would delight many Mathematicians, as well as being a useful resource for Quilters, Patchwork designers and Mosaicists.
I bought it as a Used book on Amazon for the princely sum of 1p, yes really, ONE PENNY. I also paid £2.80 for P&P, bringing the total to £2.81. Actually the postage on the packaging was a lot less as it is a slim booklet, but at the cost of just 1p I can hardly complain!
on 12 October 2010
We had a speaker from Bigmore Roman in Sussex at our Knitting and Craft Club meeting recently and I saw the book there. Believe it or not, a lot of these patterns are used in Fairisle knitting; so I contacted Amazon to see if I could obtain it. They had it and I was thrilled. It is so interesting. Only a small book, but full of lovely illustrations.

Well done, Amazon
on 29 May 2013
This book is a little complicated for the abosolute beginner. I was a little put off, it need some concentration.
on 8 September 2015
Has a good collection of ideas. Would be useful if it was A4 size.