on 8 May 2018
I've actually bought two of these. One for my house one for one of the grandchildren. Who doesn't love the story of the strange lady swallowing a fly. I can remember hearing this on the radio as a child and being enthralled by it. I bought the hardboard book version so that the youngest grandchildren can have a look by themselves without ripping pages.
on 2 September 2017
book arrived fast! status is good. story so and so. good point that it is senses stimulating as it has bright contrasting colors and it is touchy feely. story is in rhyme. i am waiting my baby to grow to appreciate it more
on 19 May 2017
Love this book. Actually bought it for my grown up daughter as it was a rhyme I used to tell her growing up that she always loved so when I saw it as a book I couldn't resist! She saving it for her kids now😍. The book it's self is lovely and bright and I would have liked to have had it when my children were little.
on 24 July 2016
Who hasn't been told this much loved rhyming story . This book was bought to make into a story sack and it's excellent illustrations size etc went perfectly. My daughter loved the die cut holes and it meant it was easy for her to turn the pages and wiggle her fingers through the holes she has dyspraxia/ dexterity issues so this perfect for her along with the bright engaging illustrations
on 18 February 2014
Very entertaining. My son flops on my lap with this book at least 3 times a day. Its the same song, the same pictures but he loves it. The hole in the book concept works very well in this rhyme unlike some other rhymes where there are holes but they don't integrate into the story. In this, the first page she a hole in the lady's tummy and pictures a fly inside, the 2 page hole is bigger showing a spider and the fly is now inside the spider, the 3rd page shows a bigger hole and we can see a bird, inside it the spider and inside it the fly and so on...lovely book. My son loves singing and reading. This is a perfect combo where we can sing the whole story!
on 3 August 2013
Brought this for my 2.5 year old and must admit, although he loves it, it's a bit to grown up for him.
I don't think it's illustrated that well and I don't like the way the text is laid out on the page, making it hard to read against the dark colours. And it rotates a round the hole in the old lady's belly.
But like I said my son loves it and finds it funny and that's what's most important.
I think it's best suited to a child of school age as I remember reading if at school and everyone laughing when the old lady died. Thankfully my son doesn't know what it means to die so doesn't get the joke
VINE VOICEon 28 May 2009
I bought this book for my one year old granddaughter Amelia

It is a great little book and as soon as she saw it she put her finger in the hole where the old lady had swallowed a fly. The hole gets bigger with each animal that gets swallowed until she gets to swallow the horse.... she is dead of course.

She loved the robust board pages and at one stage put her foot through the whole in the page. I have seen a lot people do things with books but reading it and putting her foot through the page

It is therefore a trully interactive book.

Her dad told me it was one of his favourite books when he was young. It is a beautiful book and is lots of fun

Highly recommended
on 8 March 2013
I remember the large old version of this book which i think may still be available. This format does it no justice. Its so small - like a CD case. Yes it has lovely illustrations - very old school but it is let down by the fornat which means you can hardly read it, have to keep scrolling to the back of the book. What a let down, would not reccommend for this reason. A real shame as i had high hopes for it. If they still do the larger book then get that one.
on 8 September 2015
I had the large paperback book as a child and remember spending hours fascinated by everything that the old lady swallowed. However I bought the board book for my daughter and it was a disappointment. The small size just doesn't convey the weirdness of the story like the large book. And understandably my daughter isn't much interested in it as well.
on 2 December 2013
I bought this for my class and i love the story. It is funny and they really enjoyed it.

However when buying it I didn't realise that I had purchased a mini hard back version. I assumed it would be a big paper back. The book itself was too small to share properly with my class which was a shame. The writing is tiny and hard to follow as it is so small. I know it isn't like this in the bigger versions of the book. Considering the book was a small version it was still priced similarly to the larger paperbacks. Still a nice book though. Good quality and it came quickly.