Customer reviews

on 22 November 2011
This book is a great reference for taking, processing and printing better-looking photos. However, apart from being a reference, the book is filled with assignments and discussed photography and all it facets, ranging from photography subjects (portraits, landscapes, travel photography, nature and wildlife, etc.) to the digital darkroom. Photo editing is often neglected in books for photography enthousiasts even though we hardly ever see an unprocessed image these days. Although there are better books on editing, there are few that provide so much detail for quick fixes to improve your photos. And those quick fixes will improve your photos dramatically without taking too much time and leaving not enough time to take even better photos. Great book!
on 20 November 2011
Ian Farrell explains the intricacies of operating a digital camera with simplicity and detail. The examples and case studies are excellent. In the fallow period of dark autumn days this is a complete work for the overhaul of our camera techniques. It is amazing how few of the many alternatives we use, but Farrell does expand the knowledge and operational choices of aperture, focus, ISO and shutter speed. This is an excellent reference library for the dedicated amateur photographer.
Great for me as a beginner as there is plain English explanations of what my camera can do and how it works. Worth pointing out though that half of this weighty book is dedicated to explanations of how to use Photoshop in particular. I've used Serif PhotoPlus for so long now I don't want to change! Some information is transferable though so not a total disaster!
on 31 March 2017
Bought this s a gift for my daughter for her birthday. She was especially pleased with the photo-shop part.
on 9 August 2014
Really helpful straightforward and comprehensive reference book. It includes camera operation, stylistic help, and PP digital processing all together in consistent detail. One possible drawback is that most of the processing tuition refers to Photoshop, although the ideas involved would relate to most software.
on 2 February 2012
This book really is the best digital photography book I've ever read and I've read quite a few. It has the advantage, I suppose, of being new and bang up to date but the clarity of explanations of technical features and procedures sets it apart from all others. I found the sections involving Photoshop to be very clearly explained and the final section of assignments is inspiring. I could go on, but I'll just say..."buy it!"
on 4 August 2012
Taking a good photograph is only half the story. What you can then do with software such as photoshop completes the picture. This book shows clearly, in easy to access chapters, how to achieve both. As a guide it is comprehensive but simple to dip in and out of according to your needs. Highly recommended.
on 11 July 2014
On arrival I was a little overwhelmed, as it's a larger than expected and with 400+ pages seems comprehensive. At first, I liked the way the book is made up of many chapters, but short chapters, so you can get into what it is you want, without having to wade through a woeful volume of words, but later found myself saying 'Get on with it' - first instance when I read some mention of HDR and then a forward reference to seeing more in Chapter so-an-so.

So, my first 'read' of the book was a slow thumb through the pages and, for myself, I found several topics I want to go back to....though several of those topics relate more to Photoshop than the camera. Doubtless there are interesting topics of cetain styles of photograh that will prove useful.

The book will prove very useful to many people, if only for brief explantions - a reference rather than learning source. No bad things. But I am left with mixed feelings.
on 17 January 2013
A Complete Guide to Digital Photography
I have bought several books about digital photography but have to say that I like this one the most. Very well written with a lot of examples and settings how to achieve them.
Now, I just need to go out and try some of the tips and tricks. I have already seen huge improvement in the way how I approach composition and camera settings - photos are just so much better compared to where I was before.

Recommended!
on 18 September 2014
A really good book that touches upon many aspects of photography with useful insight into today's digital world.

Certainly worth it for the luddites, or those wanting to upgrade from a point and shoot or camera phone. One nice aspect is that the author does not reject the use of camera phones and is quite supportive of different camera formats. I would deem it excellent for younger people that show an interest in photography - the book has enough content to appeal to a wide age group.

Photography has been a hobby of mine and recently have been upgrading and adding to my DSLR kit. Personally I found the book a little too generic. So far I have found Syl Arena's books to be excellent for those wanting to take their photography to a higher level.