on 5 March 2017
This kindlebook of Steal Like An Artist; 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by Austin Kleon is a mentor type of guide in written form. However, despite the title, the author carefully explains the difference between what he means by the title in order to stay plagiarism-free. Good advice such as going to the library (fortunately there are multiple libraries in the area I reside), starting a logbook, choosing what to leave out, keeping your day job, keeping a praise file, the benefits and freedom in obscurity, and more are mentioned. Kleon also helpfully gives an explanation for why you want to encourage the writer in you to flourish/develop with little concern as to the outcome of your work andor how you are publicly judged (in his validation is for parking section). From my perspective, this kindlebook is also extremely helpful because sometimes there is going to be other people with the same first name as you andor interests who also write online. However, the way you gather ideas, what you like and dislike, your personality/temperament, how you glean inspiration as a writer etc. is going to differ from even another person who shares your first name, has similar interests etc. A kindlebook such as Steal Like An Artist; 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by Austin Kleon comes in to fill the need for resource inspiration ideas.
on 26 May 2017
This is a cool little book. Kind of wish I'd bought it in paperback so I could give it away and pass the knowledge on but I didn't do I can't.
This is more of a confidence boost than a self help book and that's no bad thing. There is no wrong way to do art, anyone who tells you otherwise is someone you don't need in your life
on 23 June 2017
I Read this three times back to back. It is very insightful and empowering. I am glad I bought this book. I have also bought and read 'show your work' and I have begun applying all the tips I find useful. It's a five star for me because I am always gonna go back and read this regularly. It's hard to find books you can read more than once and still learn something, theses days.
on 16 May 2017
Really interesting little book and a snip at £1.99 for kindle edition.
on 23 June 2017
so refreshing and my mind.is buzzing. and I can forgive myself! for having to have a day job. Still makes me an artist!
on 3 April 2017
Really good book with lots of useful information, I read it within a couple of hours of downloading and really enjoyed it.
on 26 March 2017
I absolutely LOVED this book. It gave me so much to think about regarding my own artwork.
on 28 April 2017
Entertaining
on 19 January 2015
First things first, this is a short book and in some ways is very simple. However, it is very nicely written, to the point and the style is a joy to read. It might not change your life but you will smile whilst you read it.
on 27 January 2017