on 16 July 2014
This was the recommended chemistry book for my AS class.

Pros: It was comprehensive and most topics were very clearly explained. I found an extra revision guide handy (I bought a CGP one) to supplement the material, but I would probably have been okay just using this book (along with lessons and practicing exam papers).

Cons: There are a few misprints in the book including in a couple of the answers. I bought a second hand copy and the student before me had highlighted most of the errors but it was still irritating. Not irritating enough to put me off using the book, but it did occasionally waste my time as I figured out why the book disagreed with itself.

Also, while the end of topic questions have answers in the book, the answers to the exam questions aren't in there. Most of the time I could find them online, but the book doesn't list what paper the exam questions are from (e.g. winter or summer exams and what unit the question is from) and some of the older questions I couldn't find, so it as extremely time consuming marking my work.

The book doesn't cover practical skills, so if a student wants to review those they'll need to find the information elsewhere.

In summary, it got my through my AS Chemistry okay and I'd buy another in the range for A2, but I'll be aware that they might be misprints and might try and find a better way to practice past paper questions.
on 1 May 2014
All I had for my revision was this book for AS level Chemistry, and I got top marks.

But no matter what your predicted grade, this book has all you need to know, and no extra rubbish to confuse you.
Obviously this only applies IF YOUR EXAM IS AQA.
So if your exam is AQA and you don't have one of these books yet, bug your teachers or GET ONE :D
on 24 September 2017
I bought this for use during my A Levels and was very useful.
on 3 August 2012
As it is written by examinors from the AQA board it definately has most of the content you need to know. However, unlike the biology textbook (which I found MUCH better) this htextbook did miss out a few bits which came up in past papers. Every paper I did had one question which was answered by this textbook.

Apart from that, it did get me through my AS level chemistry, I pretty much had to teach myself using this book, and got an A at the end of it, so it did it's job!
on 13 August 2013
I brought both books - this one and the "AS Level Chemistry: The Complete Course for AQA". I personally think that the newer book covers the material in greater depth. If you are on a tight budget, buy the 2012 version rather than this book. Still a great read & I will continue using it to complete my A level Chemistry.
on 21 April 2012
If you are doing the AQA A-level programme this book will really help you. It has short, well structured chapters and a selection of questions to test your knowledge at the end of each topic.
I personally prefer the OCR A textbook - that's the syllabus I teach- but my advice is to purchace the textbook for the exam board you are with. So if you are AQA, this s the book for you.
on 26 November 2015
This book is a must have for AS!!! Got me a B grade overall, something I would never have achieved without it!!! A must buy for AS chemistry!
on 14 February 2016
Fab book which covers the subject in great depth. It is very readable and all exercises are answered(some on the net).
on 13 June 2016
Very good explenation texted
on 10 August 2013
Some images missing and a few mistakes here and there in this version. Not a massive problem, but make sure you keep an eye out for them as they may cost you some marks later on. Not much else to say, but good luck to those who purchase this in your exams (and always look for something cheaper out there. eg. schools/former students selling etc)