Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 June 2010
Coming back to cycling after atwenty month lay off due to illness, I treated myself to this book. I live in the North West of England and as such have the pleasure of having a few of these climbs on my doorstep. Although I've done quite a few of them before I've found the book is good at helping me to decide where a days ride should be.

It's a lovely perfectly sized book, with the authors passion for climbing really shining through. I loved the line about climbs being the stadia for cyclists. As previously mentioned by other reviewers the tick list is a great little touch and although I've done most of my local climbs a few times I'm not ticking them off until I've done them again.

One slight addition that would maybe have been helpful, would've been the inclusion of a list of contact numbers for tourist information, hostels etc for each region although this info is available on the internet it would be handy having it all in one place if you are planning a trip away to visit any of the locations.

Oh and there is a mistake on Hardknott and Wrynose passes. Jubilee Bridge is to the West of Hardknott and Fellfoot Farm is to the East of Wyrnose. A simple mistake but would mean that you haven't done the climbs intended if you followed the directions in the book.

Other than that one of the best cycling guides I've seen in years.
33 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2010
What a fantastic book! As the title says, I can't believe it's taken this long for a book like this to hit the market. I haven't really got a lot to add to the other reviews beyond saying that 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs is a really good size which you can acually fit in your pocket - not always a given - and that the information is presented in such a way as to be genuinely useful - for instance, maps you can actually read but which aren't so large as to infringe upon the rest of the information.

The photos are excellent, the information is well presented and the book is the ideal size - I can see myself referring to 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs for years to come.
on 2 June 2010
Most cyclists love a challenge and this book has a hundred of them!

100 Greatest Cycling Climbs is broken into sections by UK region, with a page dedicated to describing each hill climb, along with a one-page facing photo, so you know what you are going to be tackling. There's a simple, clear map to help you find the climb and most have a profile that indicates the steepness of each section and the location of any key landmarks.

The inclusion of a checklist to allow you to tick-off the hills as they are conquered is a really nice touch.

It's any easy, inspiring read that makes you want to hit those hills. Surely this is set to become a big seller amongst all road cyclists and sportive lovers!
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2012
The writing is good and the descriptions are concise and useful...but ( and this is a massive BUT). Apparently, fourteen of the greatest climbing roads are in the South East and only seven in the whole of Scotland. The most populous part of the country seems to be the most mountainous, whilst Scotland is as flat as Norfolk. Mr. Warren seems to be writing from the position of sales and not from the truth.
on 30 September 2015
Perfect pocket book guide to the best cycling climbs in the UK, really glad I bought it and now planning a series of cycling adventures around the country based on the guide. I doubt I will ever be able to tick off all 100 (has anyone?) but I hope to do a few at least.

The book itself is well organised, with lovely photographs of the climb so you can familiarise yourself with the route before going, detailed directions as well as a synopsis of difficulty for each hill.

A must have book for all the weekend warriors out there.
on 23 June 2010
This is supposed to be a guide to climbs in Britain yet there are only 7 for the whole of Scotland and 14 for Wales (I don't know this area, but I would imagine for such a mountainous region that this is also under represented). This is a very poor effort and suggests he couldn't really be bothered making the trip North to research what there is.
Despite this, the route descriptions and layout are very clear and do offer some inspiration although for some climbs it seems hard to justify the title - some are less than 80m and one of 31m!
This book had the potential to be so much better. Overall quite disappointing.
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2010
Great little book, love the layout and all the info you need is there, the only upsetting element is when you read your local big hill is a 3/10 and should take 8 minutes to get up....well not for me :-)

Really is a good little book and can help to plan trips if you like punishing your thighs....don't we all?
on 21 August 2014
Great introduction to cycle climbs. This is a pocket sized book that contains 100 of the best know cycle hill climbs in Britian. It is fair to say that the list is not comprehensive, but it contains a majority of the well known ones - yes there is a volume 2 now. I have ridden most of the tough ones in Cumbria and I did notice a mistake on page 145 for the Wynrose, the start and finish are the wrong way round. I would also like to see the big ones tackled from both directions with a seperate rating. But nevertheless, this is a well thought out book with enough detail to be of genuine use and the size that could literally fit in your pocket. I have added a photo next to a 6 x 4 inch photograph and a hifi remote for comparison purposes. I would also say that the difficulty ratings of the climbs i've done were pretty accurate - but then it depends what day you do them on to some extent! I would say the retail price is a bit high, but the current price is a snip!
review image
on 20 November 2010
I saw this book mentioned on various blogs and bought it out of curiosity. I'm glad that I did as it is a very interesting read and gives an insight into someone who is far a far better (roadie) cyclist than I will ever be.

The descriptions are good and have little comments that really 'gelled' with me. I was pleasantly surprised to find the book was almost pocket sized, although not sure why. Reading this made me want to try the hardest hill in there - rated at 11/10! I did it but much more slowly than the author.

Some of the climbs show a side-on view of the climb, and all show a factfile of where it is and how to get there. If you like cycling, especially if you're a 'roadie', then this book will be of interest and will make you want to venture out to these picturesque places. Perhaps even pit yourself against the author for time taken to get up the hills.

I gave this 5 stars because, quite simply, I liked the book. It serves no particular purpose but is nice to flick through on a winter's evening when I am thinking about where we'll go next Summer.
on 24 February 2011
This is an excellent resource for any cyclist keen on pitting themselves against some decent hills around Britain. Whilst we don't have any climbs on an alpine scale there are still some very good climbs to be found and this book documents, as the title suggests, 100 of them on a regional basis.

The layout of the book is clean and the accompanying text and images are clear and concise. The only thing I would suggest is that it would have been useful to add the average hill gradient to the ascent and distance, it is fairly easy to make these calculations with some basic mathematics but I still think it would have been handy. I do find the difficulty rating is fairly useful though.