Format: Board book|Change

on 25 September 2000
This was given to our 2 year old and within days became a favourite (had to go to bed with it, take it in the car etc). The catchy words and detailed pictures which invite exploration make it a book with many layers. With so many references to other childhood rhymes and stories it ensures parents never get bored either.
on 10 January 2010
This is a lovely book that i had read to my children and was now buying for my first grandchild. However, I just hadn't spotted that it was a pocket size version of the book so was disappointed as it seems harder for very young children to spot the hidden characters. Nevertheless, it will fit in my daughter in law's bag and it is timeless. If you don't know it, it's really worth getting and never gets boring for the adult who is reading it, just check the size more carefully than I did.
on 19 August 2013
I love the story but hated the pocket edition because the pictures were too small and it was difficult to pick out the characters,for example,Tom Thumb in the tree. The size of the book is too small for the age group it is targeted too and although I would recommend the larger edition I would not recommend this edition.
on 26 January 2008
As all the other reviews say, this is an out and out classic children's book - a must have.
This copy, however, is dreadful. The paper is thin and overly glossy, making it difficult to get to the next page and it could do with being bigger as it's really all about the pictures. I bought where the wild things are at the same time and that is amazingly presented, highlighting the problem with this further. This seems like a pamphlet or concert programme - cheap.
Save money and get the board book. It's smaller but the pictures are sharper.

Edit to add; OK so this is a few years on and I must admit - after the dissapointment of this classic having such a bad print run - the copy we bought is still going strong and hasn't ripped or anything. I'd still recommend the board book though, if the quality is the same as 2008. A.O'C.
on 27 June 2005
When I read this book I thought it was good fun. I particularly liked the way it mixed up all the characters from the different fairy tales and nursery rhymes. I really liked the pictures and my favourite picture is where they were all sitting eating pie in the sun at the end.
I think most people from 4 onwards would really enjoy this book.
Cryssie (aged 9)
on 30 November 2004
I bought this book first time for one of my children (now grown up). I love it so much that I have bought it for every new baby in my family at the first opportunity.
The book is very colourful and the last bit of each page is repeated as the first part of the next page, making it fun for children and adults to read together. A very enjoyable mother and baby read!
on 19 December 2008
This is a wonderful story that my daughter has loved since she was very young. At first she just enjoyed listening to the story but she is now progressing to spotting and naming different parts of the pictures (duck, baby, etc). And I know we've got plenty more life in this book as she starts to spot the different characters. The language (a big priority for me) is really well crafted, the story is light-hearted and enjoyable, and the illustrations are beautiful. Hugely recommended -- I regularly buy this book as part of a "new baby gift".
VINE VOICEon 16 July 2010
Each Peach Pear Plum is a children's book which was written by Allan Ahlberg and illustrated by Janet Ahlberg. Allan and Janet were husband and wife and had a number of successful children's books published together.

Each Peach Pear Plum was first published in 1978 and is a classic children's book which many young adults will remember from their childhood. It's one of those books that has really lasted the test of time and appeals as much to children now as it did over 30 years ago.

There are 2 versions of this book - a board version or paperback version. We have the board version which is how it was originally published. The board version is very good as the pages are very thick and durable, they can't be torn and the whole book can be wiped clean. It's also very easy for little fingers to turn the pages. The book has 32 pages which is more than a fair amount for a children's book.

Inside the book is a piece of writing on each page and on the opposite page is a picture. There isn't much writing, just a small sentence which makes it good for children that have just started reading. The words on each page also rhyme which really makes the book flow nicely.

Each Peach Pear Plum is not only a good read but a game of 'I spy' too. The story and aim of the book is to find well known characters from nursery rhymes hidden in the pictures. It keeps my little one really engaged and interested and is a lot more fun than many other children books which seem to have too many words and not enough interaction. She really enjoys looking for the characters and feels really proud when she finds them. The pictures are nice but slightly dated, however I think this adds charm to the book.

Nursery rhyme characters include favourites such as Tom Thumb, Mother Hubbard, Cinderella, Three Bears, Baby Bunting, Bo-Peep, Jack and Jill, Wicked Witch and Robin Hood. I fear that nursery rhymes and traditional children's stories will die out before long but this book allows children to be introduced and re-introduced to these characters and with any luck keep them going for years to come.

Overall this book has stood and will continue to stand the test of time and is a must have for any children's book collection.
on 22 June 2016
My first choice for a baby gift is the Ahlbergs' Peepo and this is my choice for the next gift. The book plays on the slightly older child' familiarity with the classic fairy tales -- Each peach, pear, plum, I spy Tom Thumb. .,, and so on including Mother Hubbard, Cinderella, the Three Bears, Baby Bunting etc etc. With a slight feeling of suspense and an appropriately happy ending with apple pie for all. Great illustrations to keep the child engaged and a simple rhyme to be shared with the reader.
A modern classic
on 27 August 2016
absolute classic

i remember my teacher reading this to the class when we were 5 or so, and still remember the words

bought this for my 3.5 year old about 6 months ago, and she loves it too, can recite the words and the artwork is very peaceful, often the book thats chosen for bedtime, husband likes it too. its fun spotting the characters on each page

definitely could be bought for a much younger child