on 14 September 2014
This is undoubtedly the best book I have read in the last ten years. Every chapter had me hooked; I literally couldn't put the book down. A really honest account of one woman's remarkable life.Reading this book could change your life, it has already changed mine as I am now learning the guitar at 51.Real inspirational story, it had me laughing out loud, smiling from ear to ear and sobbing in tears.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 September 2015
Credit where due. This seems to be an honest and totally unflinching account. Viv Albertine writes with conviction. Her sometimes ( graphic) detail made uncomfortable reading, but she remains true to her belief that you set principles and stick to them.

Overall, I found it a compelling read although I'm not a punk fan. In Viv's eyes, I'm one of the old farts who related more to The Stones and Faithfull. That aside, I admire her gutsy and often confrontational take on almost everything. She's uncompromising, but hers is the articulate voice of a generation often defined by punk. Her account of the people, places, groups, personalities is 'of the moment'. But in retrospect, it's an authoritative and balanced voice which explains so much. These were the days before 'designer labels' counted in terms of social kudos. Punk style was so much more than McLaren, Westwood and a pair of Doc Martens. Viv challenges gender stereotyping with a curious mix of self belief and inherent insecurity.

I don't always agree with her outlook or choices, but I was interested in how her life developed and changed as the years went by. It's a fascinating account.
on 4 June 2017
I thought this book was great. It is full of anecdotes about a special time at the beginning of English punk. She was in The Slits of course and she really was an integral part of the scene. She writes candidly about times,places and people that have become iconic in cultural history. She shops in Sex and tells you what people and places were really like. I found it fascinating. I think if you are a fan of the 70's punk movement or were a part of it then this book is perfect for you. You need to read it. I love her style of writing.She writes matter of factly. It's pleasing to read.She really did do and see a lot. She was present at some of what I and others consider to be really pivotal moments in musical history and the everyday life as part of the punk scene. ''Oh Sid ! Have you pissed the bed again? isn't a phrase you read often.
on 23 June 2017
As someone who grew up in West London a few years after Viv Albertine (lived in the same road in Acton where her squat was in fact) I found this absolutely riveting. What a courageous, frank book.
on 24 March 2017
on 9 April 2017
A great insight into Vivs life, she wrights with passion, a great read
on 13 August 2015
I enjoyed this hugely! Very candid; lots of tit bits about the punk era and very inspirational for us middle aged guitarists.
on 14 December 2016
a great read
on 10 March 2017
Excellent read, so honest & interesting insight into that time. Can't put it down. Well worth it.
on 31 July 2015
What brilliant and inspiring book by a remarkable down to earth woman! So glad you wrote this Viv - I once stood next to you at a gig when you were in the Slits supporting The Rich Kids. I was 15 at the time and too shy to say hello.....if I'd have known you as I now do after reading your book I definitely would have been brave enough.